Active Topics

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
ProfileMatic changes automatically profile (Silent, Beep, Ringing) and other settings according to user specified rules.

Current features (2.1):
  • Time based conditions: start/end time, weekdays
  • Location based conditions (cell tower id)
  • WLAN based conditions (connected to specified WLAN)
  • Idle condition
  • NFC tag condition
  • Network connection type condition (WLAN, mobile, any, none)
  • Charging condition (charging or not charging)
  • Calendar condition
  • Battery level condition
  • Setting of profile and ringing volume.
  • Setting of availability
  • Setting of flight mode / power saving mode
  • Setting of BlueTooth mode
  • Setting of mobile network mode (Dual/GSM/3G)
  • Setting stand-by screen enabled/disabled
  • Setting device volume
  • Alarm action
  • Launching applications
  • Executing custom commands

Known issues
  • PR1.3: Condition: "Internet connection" does not work if either "Allow background connections" is off, or "Power Saving mode" is on. This seems to be N9 platform bug.

The program is released under GPL license.

Relevant URLs:
One more thing, as you can see from the icon I'm not much of a graphics artist. So if anyone wants to create a nicer looking icon (SVG file), I'm grateful. I have to send here also many thanks to Javispedro for creating the excellent Harmattan Squircle generator, which allowed me to create an icon that at least looks like it belongs to Harmattan.

Created by: me
Contributors:
  • Philip Lorenz (Availability action)
  • Ferdinand Mayet (stand-by screen action)

Collecting ProfileMatic debug information
When encountering a problem, I might need the debug output if the problem can't be solved otherwise. If I ask for it, see this post how to do it

Latest ProfileMatic testing version
If you want to test new features, or help making sure the upcoming release is free of bugs, go and see this post for instructions. Please first check the version that is included in the post, so that you don't end up with older version that you have installed - I will only update the post when new test versions are available.

Translating ProfileMatic
Please see this post on translation instructions

Recipes:

Last edited by ajalkane; 2014-01-02 at 21:32. Reason: Custom action: Night clock (brightness and color change)

The Following 98 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
accountvip, achilles333, AJMAL P.M, Ajmal9M, alephito, Ancelad, angelwings, banong, bnwg, bp0, caco3, caveman, cckwes, cddiede, chillip, ck2nb, darknessangel, DeadHorseRiding, eccenux, edgar2, F2thaK, fbnccst, flopjoke, fri, Garp, gionni88, godofwar424, Hariainm, HtheB, ibrakalifa, imaginaryenemy, Industreality, jakiman, jalyst, Jaykie, Jordi, jukey, kent_autistic, keptn, khan.orak, kiiwii, kkarioja, kojacker, late88, lorenzo, LoveMyN9, Macros, MaKenZi, Manatus, meegofan, meemorph, mika123, minimos, miqu, MK99, mpy, mr666acdc, N9uwu, naytsyrhc, Nosph3ratu, nsuffys, oSCho, osk2, OVK, P@t, patocr, pawoolon, pelago, Petteri, prosper, qgil, ranbaxy, RIscRIpt, rooster13, Schturman, shanttu, slarti, smoothc, Sunset_Shimmer, tajunta, talmuth, tanwg, TeHeR, thedead1440, TheN9er, tigas, TMavica, TNL, tonyhuynh, Try Catch, Unit247, UnlimiteD3k, vishwas, willi6868, xprism, yam603, Z3tor
Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Very welcome addition to the app world!

Is it possible to run this as daemon / without GUI?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Very welcome addition to the app world!

Is it possible to run this as daemon / without GUI?
Thanks.

It doesn't have a background daemon. I wasn't sure if it would be confusing for user that the profile changes even when application is not running. But that's something that I'm interested in input from users too, would that be desirable? For now I just went with the easiest route, not doing a separate daemon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Thanks.

It doesn't have a background daemon. I wasn't sure if it would be confusing for user that the profile changes even when application is not running. But that's something that I'm interested in input from users too, would that be desirable? For now I just went with the easiest route, not doing a separate daemon.
Nice start!
I would like to do the following suggestions:
-insert option to allow your app to work without it being opened, then users have the choice (I get your point about it)
-can you integrate a setting for airplane mode? That's what I use at night and would be nice to deactivate it automatically and allow internet connections to look for feeds and mails etc. when I'm in the shower

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hakki_01 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by Hakki_01 View Post
-insert option to allow your app to work without it being opened...
This is what pains me with N9 apps the most.

GREAT app BTW, used the equivalent on N900.

Last edited by F2thaK; 2011-11-03 at 12:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hakki_01 View Post
Nice start!
I would like to do the following suggestions:
-insert option to allow your app to work without it being opened, then users have the choice (I get your point about it)
That'd solve the problem, good point. I'll see what to do after the user feedback. Maybe a setting is not needed at all, if the great majority just want it to work even when the application is not open. Just wanting to minimize amount of code :P.

-can you integrate a setting for airplane mode? That's what I use at night and would be nice to deactivate it automatically and allow internet connections to look for feeds and mails etc. when I'm in the shower
I'll investigate that. The flight-mode is not controlled like profiles, but if I find a way I'll include it. I agree it would be nice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
That'd solve the problem, good point. I'll see what to do after the user feedback. Maybe a setting is not needed at all, if the great majority just want it to work even when the application is not open. Just wanting to minimize amount of code :P.

I'll investigate that. The flight-mode is not controlled like profiles, but if I find a way I'll include it. I agree it would be nice.
Hi, I just wanted to thank you for a great app. It's incredibly useful and avoids embarrassing situations in the office or at meetings. An automatic profle switcher is a brilliant addition. Seriously, you have made my day !

If it can be made to switch profiles without the app running, that would be a huge bonus.

The Following User Says Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post:
Something I have looked for month since I switch from symbian phone to harmattan phone. Thanks!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to traveller07 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your work. I'm trying out the profile switcher now. Here is some feedback:

1. Nice UI so far :-)

2. I don't like the current time selection lists very much. If you keep them, change the minute list to 5 minute intervals, most users won't need to set it to an exact minute and scrolling is reduced significantly.

3. If possible it would be great to have the N9 time dial (as in alarms) for time selection. I'd really like that :-).

4. Provide a Wifi in range event. I work at different times during the day and like to have silent when in Office Wifi and normal when I leave or go to lunch.

5. Its impractical to leave the app open all the time. Use the Harmattan "timed" (http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-middleware/timed/) to schedule events or write your own daemon (http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...g_daemons.html).

6. Have a look at Nokia Situations (http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-situations), plenty more ideas for you.

Thanks again and good luck with the project.

Last edited by Try Catch; 2011-11-04 at 14:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Try Catch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
Thanks for the great work with this app!

I think it's clear most (all?) people want the app to work in the background, even when it's not explicitly started by the user, or at least have an option for it to do that. The reason being, I suppose, that the application is designed to change the profile setting automatically because it's hard to remember to do that manually. If you then have to remember to start the app manually to actually do that, then it defeats the purpose a bit doesn't it ;-)

It was an unexpected downside of buying the N9 that stuff that happens automatically or in the background in the N900 isn't so easily done in the N9 (I guess because of the widget design of the N900).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post: