Well... Dropped the phone today, and the screen stopped working. Phone still did boot, though no screen output without TV-out.

I've disassembled the phone in order to check the ribbon connections. I've tested the phone without the screen connected, and it wouldn't vibrate once boot process started, and neither would the TV-out work. I've plugged the screen back, and it vibrated during boot, and TV-out worked normally.

Now, after disassembly and reassembly, TVout no longer works, instead, as before, I get a bunck of blue vertical lines. The screen also does not vibrate once the phone boots.

After booting, and once Nokia tune plays, if I interact with the touchscreen, it still vibrates shortly, but there's not video output.

Please, if anyone can help, do so. N900 are getting rare in my country, and I'd rather not buy a new one now.

Please help.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Oh boy I wish I could help.
This sounds like a sad story.
Not sure of the economics of finding a replacement screen...
...also not sure if Nokia will repair it for you (for a fee). I did break the screen on my N900. I had to send it to the US, and they repaired it for around US$100... it took over a month though. However, this was over a year ago.

I don't have that option.

My N900 was born in North Korea, and I live in South America. I'm afraid I'll have to buy and new and attempt to fix this one in order to have a spare, but I'm not too hopeful.

And yes, I know that getting all worked up over a cell phone is a bit too much... But I must confess I'm feeling rather sad right not.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Umm to be frank, nokia would most likely never have its production base in North Korea. Neither would North Korea would have that much technological advances to be able to make something as delicate as N900. I would vouch that N900 are made in South Korea, not North Korea.

There aren't that many options viable if the situation is a hardware problem. There's no real software that can solve hardware issue especially when most of the inner workings of devices like these are namely proprietary (which information on how they specifically work cannot be easily obtained by the public).