Active Topics

I have a question. I am going to try developing for the 770. FYI: I have previously only done C/C++ code for PC's and Mac's, never Linux.

I am wondering - is there a scaled-down version of the C toolkit that I can install on the 770, to code on the unit itself?

I figure I would only need the basic libraries and includes for now, to flesh out some data retrieval code, and the compiler. I can edit with the Notepad application. I figured the first applications would be like console apps on Windoze.

Later, when I feel good about the data part, I can add the other libraries to create the UI.

Has anyone done this yet? Do you know which files to include? I assume the basic ANSI C headers and libraries for Linux will work, but I am not sure, and I don't want to damage the unit.

Possible, but not worth it. Would be toooo slow for any practical purposes.

It's definitely possible. All the packages you need are available at repository.maemo.org (for example, you can get gcc at http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo1.1rc7/free/g/ ). Developers more commonly build on a PC and test there as well (see developer information on www.maemo.org), but for certain development tasks, it may be more convenient to build on the device itself.

AaronL

Originally Posted by AaronL
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo1.1rc7/free/g/ [/url]
Unfortunately, the deb-packages don't see work anymore with OS 2006. Are there up-to-date gcc compilers running with my N770 and OS 2006?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yep, in maemo2.0 folder http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...ree/g/gcc-3.4/ . But it is really not worth it. I suppose for anything but simple hello world gcc compiler will run out of memory (not talking about speed and disk space). For coding directly on the device it is probably better to use some interpreter like Python, Perl or unix shell or some variant of Basic.

Thanks, it was just to compile netcat on the device itself. But I did find a pre-build netcat finally.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by fanoush
Yep, in maemo2.0 folder http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...ree/g/gcc-3.4/ . But it is really not worth it. I suppose for anything but simple hello world gcc compiler will run out of memory (not talking about speed and disk space). For coding directly on the device it is probably better to use some interpreter like Python, Perl or unix shell or some variant of Basic.
I am failing to see why this would be an issue (cc on the 770). I would love to have Rogue on the tablet, it is a classic curses game and the requisite compiler and libraries to get it going should be well under 50 MB. Heck, in those days a 10 MB drive was considered huge. My experiences with Maemo and the "Scratchbox" have been very aggravating. Granted, much of the aggravation stems from using VPC to host Debian on a PPC Mac--yes, for many of you that is what awaits you in Hell.

To the cones: a great service would be a simplified IDE (c'mon, admit you have been looking for a project that will bring you fame and ...well fame in the 770 community) that would allow development right on the tablet. Hey, you've got a vacation coming up don't you? Two days on the beach and you'll be screaming to write some code...

There is anyway to install gcc in N700 Os2006(3), it would be interesting.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
When I had my 770 I compiled several small apps right on the device. When I got the n800, I started to use scratchbox, which is obviuosly faster, but sometimes, it would be just easier to compile directly on the device.

Yes. but the problems that I have are that I can't have a PC with linux and scratchbox, and I use my 770 as a main device, and a long time ago was a livecd to do this, but now there is only a wmware image with OS2007, and there is very large.
I was trying to install gcc but there are broken dependencies, there is any repo with all of them ok?
Thanks