hi all

I was installing a script with make [scriptname] then I had a problem

the shell interpreter sh replaced by scriptname so when I type sh that script will be executed instead

now I cannot connect to 3G and most application don't run even I cannot connect to my N900 through ssh because sh is removed

I searched in google I found maybe a soultion to change sh with bash by editing /etc/shells

BUT the problem that I cannot even run xterminal

so I had an idea that I edit /etc/shells by script that in deb package created or put sh under /bin/ and Install deb package which does this

Please help me my N900 is screwed up

Last edited by tonypower88; 2011-11-28 at 15:31.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
You probably need to reflash, but see if anyone else has any ideas first.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Have an editor installed? Try open/edit /etc/shells with it. I guess you ain't installed backupmenu which could be helpful by booting into it's own set of binaries.
But at least you could create a debian package which just fixes the symlink pointing from sh to bash/busybox/whatever.

I have an editor leafpad but I cannot browse to / or /etc/shell

too bad the reflash will wipeout all my files on MyDocs

now I even I cannot open MyDocs using USB on windows

install bash3 or bash4 from HAM/Fapman and you should have a shell (bash4 substitutes for default if I remember correctly), at least in theory osso-xterm should open bash for you to fix it (or stay with it)

Alternatively, this thread might help you:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=77497
Cause of problem different, but should work if bash4 fails.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
install bash3 or bash4 from HAM/Fapman and you should have a shell (bash4 substitutes for default if I remember correctly), at least in theory osso-xterm should open bash for you to fix it (or stay with it)
I can't run fap I can't even connect ot internet , How can I put deb files to instrall on N900 !! I think app manager also cannot install it runs but doesn't install anything

please tell me if there is a way I can flash without losing files ?

does flashing rootfs only solve the problem ?

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Yes, flashing rootfs alone leaves MyDocs intact.

What happens when u use shortcut for xterm, Ctrl+Shift+x?

Originally Posted by qhubekela View Post
Yes, flashing rootfs alone leaves MyDocs intact.

What happens when u use shortcut for xterm, Ctrl+Shift+x?
last time I flashed my N900 all files gone I don't know why

nothing happens with that shortcut it closes with internal error message

I was on ssh connecting to n900 from PC I was still in terminal but I went outside the room for 5 minutes and Autodisconnect disconnected the connection

You cannot connect to internet without sh???
Were you manually setting up your connection? Hildon internet connection widget (status area) should work without problem. Also HAM as in the post I linked someone managed to install mksh without sh/bash. Check your installed progs, whether it is fapman or application manager install some shell from it and try to run it from menu. If you reflash, first thing to install is backupmenu, create a clean backup if you like to play with scripts, will save you time