Active Topics

Doing this wrong may mess up your swype keyboard, seriously messing it up may even break the regular keyboard and leave you with a phone that is unusable without a reflash.

At the time of writing this has seen very little testing and there may be issues that haven't yet been found. If you don't feel confident you'll be able to reflash your phone if you need to, don't do this yet.

You need developer mode for this method. It may be doable with file browsers and text editors but I haven't tried that (please post instructions if you do and make it work)

0: Back up everything, copy the backup off the phone (to a computer or similar)
1: Open xterm
2: devel-su
3: provide the password (rootme)
4: cd /usr/share/swype/data
5: cp languages.lst languages.lst.bak
6: edit languages.lst in your favorite editor (real men use vi) to remove unwanted/unused languages. Don't use Nano. Nano does unmentionable things* to unmentionable objects**, and will make swype have an error.
7: enjoy

*: Changes encoding and/or adds byte order marker and/or adds helpful line breaks. Or something like that.
**: Files

Last edited by Vaskinn; 2011-12-05 at 16:04. Reason: typo and added warnings

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Vaskinn For This Useful Post:
Wrong thread...

I'm getting a Swype Database error when I try to choose the last language in my list (German,EnglishUS). Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by flof View Post
I'm getting a Swype Database error when I try to choose the last language in my list (German,EnglishUS). Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong?
you're probably getting wrong one thing: this doesn't work so well, it is quick and dirty hack that probably doesn't work if you delete stuff between some languages...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I dont really see the point of deleting the unused languages anyway. Id rather remove the languages button.

Originally Posted by flof View Post
The original languages.lst doesn't have a comma after the last character. Dis you leave the one that was behind your last language?

I also made sure to use the regular keyboard while making the changes. I don't know how this will behave if you change the file while using swype.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
you're probably getting wrong one thing: this doesn't work so well, it is quick and dirty hack that probably doesn't work if you delete stuff between some languages...
Yep. Quick and dirty. But working without problems for me so far. I'll edit the original post to add appropriate warnings. If anyone is having problems after doing this I recommend putting back the copy of languages.lst, if it still fails after that: attempt to reinstall swype packages, or reflash.

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
I dont really see the point of deleting the unused languages anyway. Id rather remove the languages button.
Some of us use more than one language. If you use only one I can see why you'd prefer to get rid of the button, but I have no idea how to do that. (Except the first step: back up everything. Because if you manage to break the regular keyboard in the process you'll pretty much have to reflash)

Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
The original languages.lst doesn't have a comma after the last character. Dis you leave the one that was behind your last language?

I also made sure to use the regular keyboard while making the changes. I don't know how this will behave if you change the file while using swype.
I tried both with and without trailing comma, also looked for whitespace or line breaks, all makes no difference.

Tried again with Swype disabled in System preferences during the change, same outcome.

It's a pity, changing between 2 languages with a short press of the button would be extremely handy (also I'm used to being able to pick my languages from Swype on Android).

Does it work properly if you restore the file as before?

When exactly do you get the error message?

What is your version of swype? ("dpkg -s swype-keyboard")

Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
Does it work properly if you restore the file as before?

When exactly do you get the error message?

What is your version of swype? ("dpkg -s swype-keyboard")
After restoring the backup file, it works fine again.

The error pops up when I choose the last language in the list, no matter whether I'm cycling through languages with short presses on the language button or picking it from the language list after a long press.

When I append a third language to the list, the second one works, but the third one throws the error.

Swype version is 1.19.33902+0m6

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flof For This Useful Post:
Please use the public bugtracke if you think there's a bug in the language configuration of Swype: https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post: