Active Topics

Guy's Need Help..
i just got my HP Touchpad with nothing installed in it just the Default WebOS...
The problem is when i try to tether Internet to touchpad.. it cannot discover any of wifi tethers N900 can offer..
i tried QT Mobile HotSpot, JoikuSpot, MobileHotSpot, with Network security (Open) even tried WEP..
but nothing works

it detects Other WiFi's but Nothing from N900..

thanks in advance..
--------------------------------------------

SOLUTION ^_^
ok after having quite a good time with touchpad I now felt that ad-hoc tether is not a perfect solution for touchpad afterall.. And I even used cm7 v3.5 but you still need to struggle with ad-hoc there too.. Altho their is also a freeware app that helps you tether ad-hoc but still nothing direct
there are a few problems I found in ad-hoc tethering both in cm7 & webOS
1 the connection fails after its idle for a long time
2 we cannot have secure connection in both android & webOS, not till I wrote this..
3 except for browser no other app will find internet or its browser only internet

BUT THEIR IS A SOLUTION TO GIVE "FULL WIFI INTERNET" TO TOUCHPAD OR ANY OTHER WIFI DEVICE[REQUIRES PC]

for full internet from N900 or any phone in infrastructure mode

the solution is.. Instead if tethering form mobile device we need to tether from PC[Laptop].. And it WiFi Tethere in the way both CM7 & WebOS understands
1 the connection never breaks
2 all the apps finds and use the internet (mail,fb,messengers,HP appstore, android market) you name it
3 its secure
4 WiFi is detected as its suppose to be
Alton there are many apps the one I found WORKING is..
CONNECTIFY-ME
the app is a bliss it easy to configure.. Works on windows7(even on 64bit).. Provides ad-hoc tether too(if you want).. & its free

http://www.connectify.me/

just hit the downloads section... Its a simple installer... And its done...

have a fully working touchpad... Enjoy
:-)
enjoy..

-------------------------------------------------

for Direct Internet from N900 to your HP Touchpad(under WebOS) - AD-HOC MODE

1) Google the webos app for Touchpad called Add-Hoc tethering by Bedrock
2) you will get the instruction about it on the download page dont worry..

for Direct Internet from N900 to your Android Device - AD-HOC MODE
1) go to Play Store and download "ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher" its free
2) rename your Hot Spot to "AndroidTether"
3) keep it open(no Encryption)
4) turn-on wifi hotspot on N900
5) Start ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher, Enable Wifi
6) click "switch to Adhoc Mode"... it will find N900 by itself(if you name it correctly in #2)
7) Cheers

thanks for reading
GODbless you

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-05-05 at 14:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
The problem is that the n900 only supports ad hoc wifi tethering or bluetooth tethering but the Touchpad doesn't support any of them out of the box. You can do one of two things:
1) If you want to stick with webos: root the Touchpad, install the apps necessary to open a terminal, and run a few commands to setup the webos wifi to have it attached to an open n900 wifi signal
2) If you are okay with it: install either CM7 or CM9. Either of those should allow for you to create a secured ad hoc wifi connection to the n900. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing bluetooth tethering should work using CM9.

The Following User Says Thank You to jschan For This Useful Post:
Update: Just tested it and it looks like CM9 Alpha 0.6 (built from ICS 4.0.3) bluetooth tethering isn't working just yet. It pairs just fine, has an option to use the n900 for Internet access, and even has the familiar shaded bluetooth icon from the Honeycomb days indicating tethering is on, but it doesn't seem to be resolving websites.

When I get some time, I'll try to see if I can get to anything by IP to find out if it's just a DNS setup issue of if the routing is broken completely.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Just tried pairing my TP with N900 and the only supported profile is OPP (object push).

Connection sharing over Bluetooth therefore is not possible.

I'll give qt-mobilehotspot a try. I've been (shamefully) running CM7 on my ZTE Blade for the past few week. Not had my N900 running for a while. Geez a minute to install it.

Edit:

I am a tw*t. Bluetooth-DUN not installed. We'll have another wee go, shall we?

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2012-01-31 at 17:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jschan View Post
Update: Just tested it and it looks like CM9 Alpha 0.6 (built from ICS 4.0.3) bluetooth tethering isn't working just yet. It pairs just fine, has an option to use the n900 for Internet access, and even has the familiar shaded bluetooth icon from the Honeycomb days indicating tethering is on, but it doesn't seem to be resolving websites.

When I get some time, I'll try to see if I can get to anything by IP to find out if it's just a DNS setup issue of if the routing is broken completely.
thanks a lot @jschan for the help and guidance.. And you were right the problem was due to the fact that HP-TouchPad(under WebOS) doesn't support ADD-HOC tether and that's why most of the mobile devices like N900,iPhone and other android devices are unable to tether WiFi internet to it via Hotspot..
and your solution was also correct we have to give it manual setting via some terminal app..
but being a noob I was searching whole day for a simple solution..
and finally I found the solution to tether internet from N900 or N9 or Iphone or any other mobile to HP-Touchpad

its an app for Touchpad called Add-Hoc tethering by Bedrock
its a simple app.. And we just need to type the hotspots name and that's it..

sorry I couldn't give the download link but you can find the app since you know the name of the app ^ ^

regards
immi.shk

P.S. - I have sent this post was TP and I must say net works a pretty fast on it.. Its a pity HP discarded the TP series and WebOS and thus we won't be able to see any Official WebOS Device's any more

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-01-31 at 18:23.

Ah, I saw a reference to that Bedrock app somewhere but didn't realize it actually had an input screen to it--I assumed it was just a script that allowed one to input the name.

I haven't used it myself though since it doesn't work unless you setup the wifi tether in open mode. I don't want to encourage other people jumping on my bandwidth for various reasons. Bluetooth pan tethering is nice in that you can leave your n900 invisible and you can/must explicitly grant permissions to anything that happens to know the bluetooth connection is available.

If I get some free time, I'll toy around with WebOS to see if we can at least allow basic encryption to discourage most unwanted guests, but in all honesty, CM7 and CM9 are functional enough that I don't boot up into WebOS all that often. The WebOS card navigation is pretty good, but the lack of widgets coupled with open wifi tethering keeps me off of it most of the time.

Btw, if you are willing to pay for apps, I found TouchFeeds (or maybe it was TouchReader) is a decent, albeit slow, google reader app. Glimpse is also a decent app for multitasking (essentially giving you a bunch of portlets useful for multitasking).

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...said tethering application works flawlessly with my N900 plus the TP, for 3.0.4 and now 3.0.5.

ok after having quite a good time with touchpad I now felt that ad-hoc tether is not a perfect solution for touchpad afterall.. And I even used cm7 v3.5 but you still need to struggle with ad-hoc there too.. Altho their is also a freeware app that helps you tether ad-hoc but still nothing direct
2 we cannot have secure connection in both android & webOS, not till I wrote this..
3 except for browser no other app will find internet or its browser only internet

BUT THEIR IS A SOLUTION TO GIVE "FULL WIFI INTERNET" TO TOUCHPAD OR ANY OTHER WIFI DEVICE[REQUIRES PC]

for full internet from N900 or any phone in infrastructure mode [REQUIRES PC]

the solution is.. Instead if tethering form mobile device we need to tether from PC[Laptop].. And it WiFi Tethere in the way both CM7 & WebOS understands
2 all the apps finds and use the internet (mail,fb,messengers,HP appstore, android market) you name it
3 its secure
CONNECTIFY-ME
the app is a bliss it easy to configure.. Works on windows7(even on 64bit).. Provides ad-hoc tether too(if you want).. & its free

enjoy..

for Direct Internet from N900 to your HP Touchpad(under WebOS) - AD-HOC MODE

1) Google the webos app for Touchpad called Add-Hoc tethering by Bedrock
2) you will get the instruction about it on the download page dont worry..

for Direct Internet from N900 to your Android Device - AD-HOC MODE
1) go to Play Store and download "ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher" its free
2) rename your Hot Spot to "Androidtether"
3) keep it open(no Encryption)
4) turn-on wifi hotspot on N900
5) Start ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher, Enable Wifi
6) click "switch to Adhoc Mode"... it will find N900 by itself(if you name it correctly in #2)
7) Cheers

thanks for reading
GODbless you

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-05-05 at 14:08.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
No no no, i'm not going to install another (proprietary, even) software on the "desktop" / my main machines. Same reason why i avoid MousePad, Kalemsoft Media Player, Splashtop, and other stuff - they all friggin' need their own "server" software instead of supporting "open" standards like HID, or fixing the broken webOS gstreamer container / codec support. Granted, this here is a _bit_ different, but still.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-02-06 at 19:33.

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post

3 its secure
CONNECTIFY-ME

enjoy..
or just get a mobile device that supports wifi tethering in infrastructure mode like the droidx, evo, or veer by default...