Sorry, this is probably in the faqs somewhere, but I can't find it. Just installed a 2GB internal card, so I was disappointed when the OS limited me to 128MB swap space. No problem, I thought, I'll just reformat the card with a larger swap partition on my mac. But when I hooked the card up through a USB reader, it shows only a single partition, not the separate /swap and data partitions I expected. Anyone know how the swap space is handled? Is there any way to allocate larger swap space (128MB = 27 bits of address doesn't sound like an addressing limitation)? (another reason I'd like to know is that I'd like to periodically move the swap location on the drive, so that it burns out evenly).
Thanks for any help

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by urilabob View Post
Sorry, this is probably in the faqs somewhere, but I can't find it. Just installed a 2GB internal card, so I was disappointed when the OS limited me to 128MB swap space. No problem, I thought, I'll just reformat the card with a larger swap partition on my mac. But when I hooked the card up through a USB reader, it shows only a single partition, not the separate /swap and data partitions I expected. Anyone know how the swap space is handled? Is there any way to allocate larger swap space (128MB = 27 bits of address doesn't sound like an addressing limitation)? (another reason I'd like to know is that I'd like to periodically move the swap location on the drive, so that it burns out evenly).
Thanks for any help
The swap utility in Control Panel allocates swap to a swap file, not a partition.

There is a way to create and use a swap partition on the card; I'd suggest using the search function, as it has been discussed many times over on the forum.

I'm wondering if a swap file isn't the smarter way to go, as it is controlled by the card's management software. I doubt a swap partition is, at least to the same degree.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I also believe bad things will happen (device crash) if a swap partition is unmounted whereas it's OK to unmount swap files on the fly. The internal card will be automatically unmounted when the battery cover is opened so you increase the likelihood of your device crashing by using a swap partition unless you never intend to open your battery cover while the device is powered up!

I also think the size of the swap file created by the memory applet is limited by the size of available memory - the N800 has 128MB RAM and the 770 has 64MB RAM and the latter could only create a 64MB swap file. In the past users have attempted to manually create swap files larger than physical RAM but this tended to result in instability for some unknown reason.

As Karel says, search the forum...