Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
i don't know if this was the reason for wifi hotspot not working, but this was the solution: i changed my internet connection APN from one back to the other. in my case for a long time i used to have standard "internet.saunalahti", which gives a NAT ip address, but i had changed it to "internet4", which gives a public ip address. for some reason changing back to NAT ip address fixed wifi hotspot.

The Following User Says Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
I had same problem. What I did is, I changed port numbers from nat menu in n9. After that it start work fine

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Its the kernel; you would need to modify the kernel to allow for infrastructure hotspot instead of ad-hoc which is not an easily surmountable task from what I read previously...
Has there been any more progress on this front?
Infrastructure after all is far more widely used, & far better in practice than ad-hoc.

Originally Posted by TheN9er View Post
Hmmmm....weird. I've connected my ipad and macbook to my N9's hotspot throughout this week and had no problems.
Can you explain how you did that or point to a good article/tute?
I have a rMBP, last time I looked into tethering I had problems getting it working.
Also read that it's damaging to the battery, might be best to connect via BT for simple browsing etc.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
Any news on infrastructure mode?

Yes that's what I asked

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well basically ther are few requirements that need to be met;

1.) You need to be running a NAT enabled kernel.
2.) You need to load a different firmware file to wl1271. (default is /lib/firmware/wl1271-fw.bin which does not support infrastructure AP)
3.) You need to assign IPv4 addresses, DNS parameters and routes to clients with DHCPD.

How joikuspot gets around these things; it routes the packets via userspace which is a silly and unnecessary way to do it
This is only done as for some reason the IP forwarding&nat functionality was not included in the default kernel....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
All of that seems completely doable, (1) IIRC has already been demonstrated.
(3) seems like it should be relatively easy to do, the only thing that's not so clear is (2).
Is there a different fw file out there which does support infra AP?
Surely someone's already investigated all this & laid-out a nice/shiny tutorial?
Assuming it's surmountable...

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
can you explain how you did that or point to a good article/tute?
I have a rmbp, last time i looked into tethering i had problems getting it working.
Also read that it's damaging to the battery, might be best to connect via bt for simple browsing etc.
*bump* TIA.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
the only thing that's not so clear is (2).
Is there a different fw file out there which does support infra AP?
https://gforge.ti.com/gf/download/fr...-m1-rc2.tar.gz

Surely someone's already investigated all this & laid-out a nice/shiny tutorial?
Feel free to do it

---------- edit ---------

The page to look for directions is here:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....Wireless_Build

Last edited by juiceme; 2013-09-09 at 18:28. Reason: Added info

Now as I checked it, the wireless driver in N9 kernel tree seem to be missing some parts related to the AP functionality.
I'd say you need to patch /drivers/net/wireless/wl12xx/ from the TI demonstration code to N9 kernel.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: