Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
I sent myself a couple of email w/pdf attachments to my gmail account, so that I could open those emails on my n9 and save the attachments.

It looks like the N9 is somehow corrupting the attachments and/or saving them incorrectly from the email client.

If I just use the terminal on the N9 and scp the same pdf files to /home/user/MyDocs/Documents, the pdf files are fine, but the same files saved from email attachments are definitely not fine

(truncated ls -l and 'file' output)

305904 Jun 25 12:02 AIM_guide.pdf <-- pdf file intact
418604 Jun 25 12:02 AIM_guide-1.pdf < -- broken pdf file, saved from N9 email client.

also, if I run 'file' against both pdf files on my desktop PC...

$ file AIM_guide-1.pdf
AIM_guide-1.pdf: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators

$ file AIM_guide.pdf
AIM_guide.pdf: PDF document, version 1.6

Also, a quick look at both files shows '%PDF-1.6' at the top of the good pdf file, and it looks like the broken pdf is probably (still) the attachment in encoded format (base64, etc...?).

If I try to open the broken pdf/encoded file using something like FileBox, the 'Documents' app (of course) complains that the file is corrupted, but the Documents app doesn't have any problem opening the other (intact) pdf file.

Anybody else notice this issue?

I searched the meego/harmattan bug tracker for a report for this issue, but I didn't have much luck finding anything with 'attachment', 'email', 'corrupted', etc...

Last edited by slvr32; 2012-06-25 at 19:22.

I have very similar problems with emails attachements on my N900 as far as MS Word documents are concerned. Word-docs sent via modest cannot be opend anymore.

If I edit the original file and the sent file (that cannot be opend anymore by Word) it reveals only one perceivable difference, namely a missing line feed in one line in the sent document. Apparently this is not the major problem because inserting the line feed with the editor does not help.

I am still looking for a solution.

If it would be a Mac I would suspect it has something to do with the resource fork rather than the data fork. But I am no expert and thus have no clue at all.

Regards, Jo

Originally Posted by slvr32 View Post
I sent myself a couple of email w/pdf attachments to my gmail account, so that I could open those emails on my n9 and save the attachments.

It looks like the N9 is somehow corrupting the attachments and/or saving them incorrectly from the email client.

If I just use the terminal on the N9 and scp the same pdf files to /home/user/MyDocs/Documents, the pdf files are fine, but the same files saved from email attachments are definitely not fine

(truncated ls -l and 'file' output)

305904 Jun 25 12:02 AIM_guide.pdf <-- pdf file intact
418604 Jun 25 12:02 AIM_guide-1.pdf < -- broken pdf file, saved from N9 email client.

also, if I run 'file' against both pdf files on my desktop PC...

$ file AIM_guide-1.pdf
AIM_guide-1.pdf: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators

$ file AIM_guide.pdf
AIM_guide.pdf: PDF document, version 1.6

Also, a quick look at both files shows '%PDF-1.6' at the top of the good pdf file, and it looks like the broken pdf is probably (still) the attachment in encoded format (base64, etc...?).

If I try to open the broken pdf/encoded file using something like FileBox, the 'Documents' app (of course) complains that the file is corrupted, but the Documents app doesn't have any problem opening the other (intact) pdf file.

Anybody else notice this issue?

I searched the meego/harmattan bug tracker for a report for this issue, but I didn't have much luck finding anything with 'attachment', 'email', 'corrupted', etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post: