Active Topics

'Do not use any of the methods below. We don't need this since last Opera update is capable to open multiple external links and it can now be set as default browser from phone Application Settings."

============================================

Update: Use the UPDATED METHOD rather than the below method. See the updated method at the end of this post.

Mommy I found it!

Yesterday I went through this thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84733) and got some hints regarding how to pass the url text to Opera. (Thanks to ajalkane and f7391) But there were some disadvantages.

1) Works only one time.

2) One should exit opera before click any other links in apps like rss feed/ other apps.

3) If opera is already opened, link won't work.

After some failed attembts I found a way to make opera works whenever you click a link. No matter whether Opera is opened or not. And it opens multiple Opera windows!!! Open as much as Opera you want. Crazy..!

Coming to the hack

Edit defaults.list and operamobile-labs.desktop found in
Code:
/usr/share/applications/
In default.list replace 'browser.desktop' with 'operamobile-labs.desktop'. They are in random places so be more careful.

In operamobile-labs.desktop edit
Code:
Exec=/usr/bin/invoker --single-instance --type=e /opt/operamobile-labs/operamobile to Exec=/usr/bin/invoker --type=e /opt/operamobile-labs/operamobile %U
Place the files back to /usr/share/applications/ That's it.

Those who don't want to do editing stuff, download the attatched zip and extract it to Downloads and read the txt file inside the extracted folder.

Disadvantage:

1) No tabed browsing for external links.

2) Won't work in conversation view. (Don't worry there is a way. Tap and hold the link. Voila! you have more options. Select web/firefox)

3) Two web options appear in conversation view. (Not really a problem. Both web options open nokia browser)

Advantage:

1) Works all the time

2) Multiple windows

EDIT:

How to Install.?

Download the attachment.

Extract it to Downloads directory.

Open terminal

devel-su
rootme (or your password)
Code:
sh /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/Set_opera_default/install.sh
How to uninstall?

Make sure you have Set_opera_default folder in "Downloads"

Open terminal

devel-su
rootme (or your password)
Code:
sh /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/Set_opera_default/uninstall.sh

UPDATED METHOD (based on eccenux's comment)

For advanced users

STEP1: Create a new .desktop file with the code below.

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera Default
Exec=/opt/operamobile-labs/operamobile %U
Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/80x80/apps/operamobile-labs.png
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/x-mimearchive;application/xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/svg+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;image/x-bmp;image/x-xbm;application/mime;
Categories=Application;Network;WebBrowser;
NotShowIn=X-MeeGo;
STEP2: Name the .desktop file as operamobile-labs-default.desktop.

STEP3: Copy it to /home/user/.local/share/applications/

STEP4: Add the below lines to defaults.list found in /home/user/.local/share/applications/

Code:
x-maemo-highlight/feed-url=operamobile-labs-default.desktop
x-maemo-highlight/http-url=operamobile-labs-default.desktop
x-maemo-urischeme/http=operamobile-labs-default.desktop
x-maemo-urischeme/https=operamobile-labs-default.desktop
x-maemo-urischeme/ftp=operamobile-labs-default.desktop
x-maemo-urischeme/file=operamobile-labs-default.desktop
Those who don't want to code

Download the second attachment (opera-as-default-browser.zip). Extract opera-as-default-browser.zip and copy files to /home/user/.local/share/applications/ using filebox. (Don't forget to delete defaults.list file already exist there.)

Now you will be able to open multiple windows whenever you click a link, at the same time you can use original opera mobile shortcut normal way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Set_opera_default.zip (3.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: zip opera-as-default-browser.zip (1.8 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by AJMAL P.M; 2013-07-25 at 03:02.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AJMAL P.M For This Useful Post:
Settings, Applications, Web, Default browser doesn't work?

It does not show opera. I'm on PR1.2. Does PR1.3 supports opera?

I wasted my time creating deb file. The deb file only contain defaults.list & operamobile-labs.desktop in proper path. When I install it says Can't install.. installation interrupted. I think the problem is in the addition/replacement of the deskrop file. Is there anything like a script needed? Who can help?

Originally Posted by AJMAL P.M View Post
It does not show opera. I'm on PR1.2. Does PR1.3 supports opera?
I have PR 1.3 and Opera 12.00.2, and I can confirm that the Opera browser is still not on the default browser selection menu. I voiced this problem with the folks at Opera some time ago, but no luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Thanks for working on this. It may help to include a few screenshots or even upload a YouTube video showing how the hack works, and link to that here.

Most importantly, an easy way to uninstall and return things to normal just in case. Some people know how to backup and copy over files, but some do not.

Lastly, you may want to contact the developer for N9 QuickTweak about adding this tweak to that collection. People would be interested in this option.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
I tried to create a .deb file for easy installation and uninstallation but there was error in package. I need expert's help. As a next step created a shell script. Installation and uninstallation work fine without extra terminal work. There is a .txt file inside Set_opera_default folder. Read it. Anyway I have included the instructions. See first post. The installation script create backup of original files. When you uninstall it original files will be returned. Uninstall script makes Nokia browser/Firefox as default browser depends on which was the default browser before.

What screenshots you want? I will provide as soon as possible. And yeah, thanks for that advice. I will contact N9Quicktweak dev.

The Following User Says Thank You to AJMAL P.M For This Useful Post:
Is this script for PR1.2 or PR 1.3? I have Opera version 12.00.2 running on PR 1.3 and I can't get the Opera Default behavior to work at all. I followed your installation steps, which seemed to work fine. I then went to various hyperlinks on Twitter, Facebook, google.com, etc., and I couldn't get any of them to open Opera all. At first, I tried with Opera closed and then I tried with Opera open and had no luck either way.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Is this script for PR1.2 or PR 1.3? I have Opera version 12.00.2 running on PR 1.3 and I can't get the Opera Default behavior to work at all. I followed your installation steps, which seemed to work fine. I then went to various hyperlinks on Twitter, Facebook, google.com, etc., and I couldn't get any of them to open Opera all. At first, I tried with Opera closed and then I tried with Opera open and had no luck either way.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Oops ! Looks like problems in PR1.3. Could you pls give these files

Code:
/usr/share/applications/defaults.list
Code:
/usr/share/applications/operamobile-labs.desktop
Code:
/home/user/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

Anyone else having problem in PR1.3?