Active Topics

Hi everyone,

I tried searching for this but I couldn't find any satisfying/up-to-date answer. I will be traveling soon and will need to look up many POIs and public transport information. I used an iPhone on a recent trip and the Google Maps app was a huge help.

Is there a way to look up POIs and public transport information on Google Maps using N9?

I read that the mobile version of the Google Maps website does not work anymore for N9. I also read about CloudGPS, but if I'm not mistaken it does not support public transport route planning, right?

Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to emev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Austria
Either you browse with the mobile version of google maps or you use the an app called Geeps (it uses google maps as backend)
Or you can use the Nokia maps, it has an option for puplic transport too.

Thanks for the reply!

I read that the mobile version no longer works on the N9 (just the one for dumbphones).
GeePS does not support public transportation.
AFAIK Nokia Transit/Maps does not have public transportation for some of the cities that I need.

PS: just to clarify: I don't have an N9 yet. I'm planning to buy one in the coming weeks and this issue made me rethink the purchase.

Originally Posted by emev View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I read that the mobile version no longer works on the N9 (just the one for dumbphones).
GeePS does not support public transportation.
AFAIK Nokia Transit/Maps does not have public transportation for some of the cities that I need.

PS: just to clarify: I don't have an N9 yet. I'm planning to buy one in the coming weeks and this issue made me rethink the purchase.
Use Nokia Transport, its awesome!

http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/nok...t-for-nokia-n9

And Nokia Maps for everything else, I prefer it to google maps tbh.

This app supports timetable-based information in the following cities & regions:

Atlanta, Auckland, Austin, Baltimore, Barcelona, Berkshire, Berlin & Brandenburg, Boston, Budapest, Chicago, Dallas, Denmark, Denver, Edmonton, Flanders, Halifax, Helsinki, Honolulu, Houston, Las Vegas, London, Miami-Dade county, Minneapolis & Saint Paul, New York City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, San Diego, Los Angeles, Toronto, Turin, Wellington and Winnipeg.

We also offer worldwide Simple routing information. Simple routing uses the map data to calculate a heuristic route, based on the likely frequency of lines.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
^^ +1 for that...nokia maps trounces google maps anytime of the day...

I think its high time that people realize that not everything that is marketed well performs equally well...We've been sitting on the best mapping solution since 2007 yet we still find alternatives...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, this would be a possible solution. The problem is that not all cities that I would need are supported (e.g. for the upcoming trip Washington DC).

Does Nokia Transport+Maps support map-based display of the route? E.g. on the iPhone I found it convenient to see the route with the stops on a map and a dot displaying my current location along the route.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, this would be a possible solution. The problem is that not all cities that I would need are supported (e.g. for the upcoming trip Washington DC).

Does Nokia Transport+Maps support map-based display of the route? E.g. on the iPhone I found it convenient to see the route with the stops on a map and a dot displaying my current location along the route.
I was in DC in march and it worked well there. No complaints at all. If you are that concerned over small things, buy an Iphone, the N9 is not for you.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Thanks for the reply, good to hear that it works in DC. But let me decide if the N9 is for me and whether getting around using my smartphone is a small thing or not.

Any ideas regarding my previous question whether the public transport routes can be displayed on the map?

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Thanks for the reply, good to hear that it works in DC. But let me decide if the N9 is for me and whether getting around using my smartphone is a small thing or not.

Any ideas regarding my previous question whether the public transport routes can be displayed on the map?
Yes they can be... but not the way the iphone displays them.

I have used the N9 many times and I am in the small minority that doesn't need the same functionality that the iphone presents.

I know because I have a 4s and use it as my work phone.

I prefer the N9 as I use it as my personal phone.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
I Have friends still convinced I will have to buy an iPhone. NEVER