Active Topics

Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria
Hey guys
I just changed to n900 from an N97 mini. It was very comfortable to use the X-Plore on the S60v5 but here it seems that I cant find it for Maemo not even similar(by functionalities) File Manager.
What I want from a File Manager:
-Ability to search for files like " *.mp3 "
-Change the attributes of file/folder for ex. "hidden" or "compressed" files
-Open and extract archives "zip,rar,tar,7z..." (I dont mind if the f.m. cant open these archives by itself but at least it should point to xarchiver to open the selected archive)
-Hex-editing files
-Open media files or at least open them with media players

Is there something like this what I want? And yeah I have exp. with Linux but it is easier with GUI, right? And yeah I already tried FileBox,midnight comm., and many more.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by tanago View Post
Hey guys
I just changed to n900 from an N97 mini. It was very comfortable to use the X-Plore on the S60v5 but here it seems that I cant find it for Maemo not even similar(by functionalities) File Manager.
What I want from a File Manager:
-Ability to search for files like " *.mp3 "
-Change the attributes of file/folder for ex. "hidden" or "compressed" files
-Open and extract archives "zip,rar,tar,7z..." (I dont mind if the f.m. cant open these archives by itself but at least it should point to xarchiver to open the selected archive)
-Hex-editing files
-Open media files or at least open them with media players

Is there something like this what I want? And yeah I have exp. with Linux but it is easier with GUI, right? And yeah I already tried FileBox,midnight comm., and many more.
There is a File Manager for the N900. The name is "Filebox".

EDIT: sorry I noticed you already mentioned Filebox. Anyway...based on my experience:

1. Search for files, e.g. *mp3 - haven't tried this with Filebox.
2. Change attribute - haven't seen this with Filebox, though I just edit a file (Rename) and put a dot (.) before it to make it "hidden".
3. Open/extract archives from Filebox - in my experience, Filebox can do this (double-tap on the .zip, a new window opens, and there is a button for "Extract files")
4. Hex-editing files - sorry I don't do hex-editing. Will a normal text-editing application work for this purpose? If so, then you can configure a Text Editor from the Settings of Filebox. Also, Filebox gives you the ability to open a Terminal window from the current location/path that you are in.
5. Open media files with a media player - Filebox can do this. Double-tap the media file and it opens in Media Player.

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2012-08-06 at 21:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
try cute Explorer

The Following User Says Thank You to drangina For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Midnight Commander.

ftw

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
And yeah I already tried FileBox,midnight comm., and many more.
seems you tried the best !
if you are missing more features get your self maemo sdk and start with it

Good luck
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
4. Hex-editing files - sorry I don't do hex-editing. Will a normal text-editing application work for this purpose?
No, but there is a hexeditor somewhere in extras-*

Personally i dont use filebox but my own desktopwidget as a filemanager (Unfourtunately the latest version didnt pass the autobuilder) but if filebox also has the ability to asssign a program to a filetype then it is simple to add a hexeditor to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Jeddah,Saudi Arabia
According to my knowledge,
for filemanager, FileBox
for Extractions (.zip,.tar,etc), Xarchiever
are best
good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to unexpected For This Useful Post:
thanks everyone! I didnt think that this forum will be so active, 6 replies, I am really amazed!
Yes It seems that FileBox is the best f.m. for me and I am using it for 4-5 days.

Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
3. Open/extract archives from Filebox - in my experience, Filebox can do this (double-tap on the .zip, a new window opens, and there is a button for "Extract files")
[........]
5. Open media files with a media player - Filebox can do this. Double-tap the media file and it opens in Media Player.
Thanks for those tips, I didnt know that I can double-tap files!

Originally Posted by drangina View Post
try cute Explorer
I already tried it,emelFM2 and more but I am missing more features than in FileBox

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
there is a hexeditor somewhere in extras-*
thank you, i will search for it

if filebox also has the ability to asssign a program to a filetype then it is simple to add a hexeditor to it.
That is the problem, I didnt find an option to assign filetypes to specified app., I dont know but i will try to see if editing "/usr/share/applications/defaults.list" will work with FileBox

EDIT: As I thought editing defaults.list doesnt work with FileBox, so It seems that it doesnt want to open unknown for it filetypes

And the main problem still is how I can search for files, ofc. except with "find" command in Xterm

Last edited by tanago; 2012-08-07 at 08:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to tanago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
That is the problem, I didnt find an option to assign filetypes to specified app., I dont know but i will try to see if editing "/usr/share/applications/defaults.list" will work with FileBox

EDIT: As I thought editing defaults.list doesnt work with FileBox, so It seems that it doesnt want to open unknown for it filetypes

And the main problem still is how I can search for files, ofc. except with "find" command in Xterm
Hmm, maybe you should try my deskypplet? it is not a filemanager per se, but it is a try to make a simple graphical desktopenviroment wich already has some external scripts for filemanaging.
So a new search menuitem, would be easy to implement with your "find" command in a shellscript.
Except that there arent any way implemented to get results back from a script, but if the script makes a new bookmarksfile then it would work.
Or if the script creates a new tempdir with softlinks to the found files, and then opens it either with a filemanager from the script, or if you prefer to have a bookmark to that directory within deskypplet.

If you want to try, then i could add some instructions and upload the necessary files to the deskypplet thread.

-or maybe even start with my development again

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-08-07 at 10:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Hmm, maybe you should try my deskypplet? it is not a filemanager per se, but it is a try to make a simple graphical desktopenviroment wich already has some external scripts for filemanaging.
So a new search menuitem, would be easy to implement with your "find" command in a shellscript.
Except that there arent any way implemented to get results back from a script, but if the script makes a new bookmarksfile then it would work.
Or if the script creates a new tempdir with softlinks to the found files, and then opens it either with a filemanager from the script, or if you prefer to have a bookmark to that directory within deskypplet.

If you want to try, then i could add some instructions and upload the necessary files to the deskypplet thread.

-or maybe even start with my development again
I can make a script for myself and I dont doubt you can too. But this is not the point, my point was to find a file manager that has all these functions itself I thought when S60 platform has such f.m. maemo will have too but its OK when it doesnt. Thanks everyone!!