Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
any special reason why it's called the "Hildon" foundation?
This is a body representing all iterations of Maemo, up to and including Harmattan right, so why not a name that is more representative of that?
Nokia has registered Maemo as a trademark in several countries and have not, at least yet, decided to license us to use it. Rather than spend months in limbo, we selected Hildon because it is not registered by Nokia and has some historical significance.

I'm not sure if we should try to proceed under the name of maemo in any event since the reputation among the general public (not the informed and more knowledgeable community here) is that it is an old, obsolete and outdated software.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Mission Statement:

Good but zero mention of the UI used by Harmattan devices, is this simply because much more of Hildon is open so far, does that really matter?
I agree that we should mention both Harmattan and the N9. For example:

"The Maemo® operating system and Hildon user interface was originally developed by Nokia Corporation and used in several commercially available devices, including the N900 and the N9."

It's true that the Swipe UI is very much closed but assuming that Harmattan is a derivative of Maemo, we could mention the device to clarify that the Harmattan iteration is also covered by the Hildon Foundation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^Why not just:
The Maemo operating system (which includes several iterations) was originally developed by Nokia & used in several commercially available devices, including the N900 and the N9.
Much of Maemo is currently open source software as defined by the Open Software Foundation and, as such, continues to be improved by a volunteer community at www.maemo.org.
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Nokia has registered Maemo as a trademark in several countries and have not, at least yet, decided to license us to use it. Rather than spend months in limbo, we selected Hildon because it is not registered by Nokia and has some historical significance.
I'm not sure if we should try to proceed under the name of maemo in any event since the reputation among the general public (not the informed and more knowledgeable community here) is that it is an old, obsolete and outdated software.
Fair enough, perhaps we should have a community discussion & vote ASAP on a entirely different name, for which the foundation can use?
Different shades of that name could then be used to delineate the different iterations of Maemo?
Then we can start naming all the infrastructure around that too...
We can always move back to Maemo should Nokia allow us to use/license it, assuming the community prefers it to the newly adopted name.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-08-27 at 17:48. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
^Why not just:

Fair enough, perhaps we should have a community discussion & vote ASAP on a entirely different name, for which the foundation can use?
Different shades of that name could then be used to delineate the different iterations of Maemo?
We can always move back to Maemo should Nokia allow us to use/license it, assuming the community prefers it to the newly adopted name.
Is harmattan registered by Nokia, or did I miss that?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
^Why not just:

If you want to suggest a different name, please do it fast. And make sure the name isn't a trademark and get the domain name first. Once you mention it, someone is likely to scoop up the domain name and squat on it. We already have hildonfoundation.org and maemocommunity.org in pocket.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
N.B. we've not had the councils response to everything raised here (some have been addressed).
Plus this:
^Why not just:
The Maemo operating system (which includes several iterations) was originally developed by Nokia & used in several commercially available devices, including the N900 and the N9.
Much of Maemo is currently open source software as defined by the Open Software Foundation and, as such, continues to be improved by a volunteer community at www.maemo.org
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Is harmattan registered by Nokia, or did I miss that?
Not sure, but that's not really inclusive of all the different iterations of Maemo.
We need to devise a name that embodies them all (can create secondary names to clearly delineate them if needed).

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
If you want to suggest a different name, please do it fast. And make sure the name isn't a trademark and get the domain name first. Once you mention it, someone is likely to scoop up the domain name and squat on it. We already have hildonfoundation.org and maemocommunity.org in pocket.
I highly doubt someone's going to squat on it the minute we start talking about ideas in a thread here, we should at least try.
We could have one going for a short period, once a consensus is met* the council could then move to secure it.

*& we know the name isn't already used in a problematic manner

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-03 at 09:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
IMO Maemo Community/Foundation would be better than Hildon Foundation...It would be more inclusive as well...

Hildon Foundation, I don't know why, just seems the same old elitist bunch of people doing their stuff...Just an honest opinion no attacks please...

Edit: So would any name with Harmattan in it feel like; the new timers here to stage a coup...

Edit 2: Just saw that Maemo is registered by Nokia from earlier posts...Sorry will think of another name and post back...(Maybe Meltemi Foundation since it was killed but no "fanatic" fan-following )...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-03 at 06:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think that Aeolos foundation is an appropriate name. He was the king of all winds.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I'm throwing in the following suggestion: "calima foundation"

Hildon Foundation, I don't know why, just seems the same old elitist bunch of people doing their stuff...Just an honest opinion no attacks please...
Hildon for me sounds much alike hilton. It has an elitist and above the rest touch.

I think that Aeolos foundation is an appropriate name. He was the king of all winds.
Sounds nice to me, too.

Just my 2 cents.

brkn

The Following User Says Thank You to brkn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Or if you want to continue using names from finnish mythology in tradition of Maemo (Maaemo - mother earth), theres plenty of possible names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish...ds_and_spirits
Might give some ideas.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:

Tags
best wishes, council, whats going on?