Active Topics

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Toggles WLAN scanning on/off.

The main purpose of the application is to prevent stuttering of audio with Bluetooth, which is caused by WLAN scanning.

Upon installation you will see an icon on your home screen "WlanScanOff". Clicking on it will turn WLAN scanning off, and the icon will reflect the current state. The text will turn to "WlanScanOn". Click it and WLAN scanning is resumed and icon will again reflect the current state.

This application is free for the community, as I regard this as a nice example of our community working together. If I upload it to Nokia Store I will charge for it by a boat-load to get back the money used on wine, beer and meat consumed while coding and testing this application.

If you find this application useful to you, please consider donating via the PayPal link in my signature (put in comments it's for ToggleWlanScan). I ask for donations, as I'm probably the only one involved in this who has no use for this application (I have no Bluetooth devices). When donating please consider this is a fringe application. The test versions were downloaded by just a couple of people, so I don't expect much donations.

This application is released under GPLv3. The sources are available here:
https://github.com/harmattan/togglewlanscan

I will submit this application also to 2012 coding competition. Your vote matters (but vote ProfileMatic instead if you appreciate that application, that way I have better chances for something ).

Thanks to:
- flopjoke for creating icons
- P@t for testing that the initial idea should work
- justadude, flopjoke, Sniper_swe and others for testing the application and feedback
Attached Files
File Type: deb togglewlanscan_1.0.0_armel.deb (23.7 KB, 808 views)

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-09-07 at 09:00.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Great toggle!
Makes bluetooth audio streaming perfect without any stutter!

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper_swe For This Useful Post:
Could it also save some power, or ist that not noticeable?

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Could it also save some power, or ist that not noticeable?
It might... but I doubt it has any noticeable effect. WLAN scan is only done every 5 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Strange that without the toggle when playing audio from spotify to bluetooth speaker the audio stutter all the time. But when u use the toggle it never stutters. Atleast not for me seems like wlan scans more often when using webbrowser ?

Originally Posted by Sniper_swe View Post
Strange that without the toggle when playing audio from spotify to bluetooth speaker the audio stutter all the time. But when u use the toggle it never stutters. Atleast not for me seems like wlan scans more often when using webbrowser ?
That seems strange. I can't think of any reason why wifi scanning would cause continuous stuttering like that. I'd chalk it up as a platform bug, but good thing it can be worked around with this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
Clicking on it resulted in dissapearing of the toggle, stuttering remains so will test further but first experience is not that good.

Originally Posted by wout.martens View Post
Clicking on it resulted in dissapearing of the toggle, stuttering remains so will test further but first experience is not that good.
That is peculiar. Can you run the following commands on terminal:

Code:
gconftool -g /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval
It returns 0 if wlan scanning turned off and 300 if it's on.

And about the disappearing icon, what does this say:

Code:
ls -l /usr/share/applications/togglewlanscan_harmattan.desktop

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
i reinstalled the app so icon is back.
value is 0

guess it has something to do with ram filling up rather than wlan scan?

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
That seems strange. I can't think of any reason why wifi scanning would cause continuous stuttering like that. I'd chalk it up as a platform bug, but good thing it can be worked around with this.
Either way stutter is gone and I'm happy