Reply
Thread Tools
sifo's Avatar
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,288 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
#11
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I nominate the entire current council.
+1 for me

since Estel is down from the council i nominate Arie according to the last election result

./sifo
__________________
[ N900-Crack ] [ The Purge ] [ New Smiles ] [ New icons ] [ ? ]
" Hey ! I've just met you and this is crazy, so install cssu maybe ? "
Please help out keeping Maemo.org alive, and consider donating.
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7
 

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,599 | Thanked: 972 times | Joined on Aug 2010
#12
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The new Council officially replaces the current council at the completion of the election although there is usually some delay and handover.

The Board being elected is for the new non-profit (that doesn't exist quite yet). So they don't start until there is an official meeting of the nonprofit at which each of the elected Board members formally accepts the position.

The council term is 6 months from the date of the election (although Nokia is likely to cut off before then - 12/31/2012). The Board's term is one year from whenever they take office. Despite being held at the same time, these elections are for different organizations and the overlap circumstantial (although it is my personal hope that the nonprofit can continue to use the community council body for facilitating maemo projects).

The bylaws process is going on now through community review and will continue as long as needed. We will be working to have a much improved draft by Sept 17th so that it can serve as a reference point during the Board elections. If there is a provision of concern in the bylaws, then it should be debated in conjunction with the Board election and asked of the Board candidates rather than the Community Council candidates.
thanks Rob!
sounds good to me

now to a more immediate but also important aspect of the election of the board (and, concurrently, the Council, of course).

for the Q2 election we introduced the "wiki page" format presentation / introduction for each candidate. that's all nice and dandy but leaves maybe too much latitude to the candidate and the voters with to many unanswered questions.

could we this time introduce a Q&A format, maybe a "mud thread" which would also put each and every candidate to the test of the daily churning of the Council activity (i.e. standing word and answer to the community on a thread)?
__________________
information is a necessary though no sufficient condition to rationality...
 
Dave999's Avatar
Posts: 4,574 | Thanked: 3,656 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
#13
Does anyone of the current council run again?
__________________
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Live Spy Cam Jolla Party <-- Live unboxing at 3:29:00
N9 Dance
I Don't - n900

Hitler Finds Out Nokia's Ovi Maps Turn By Turn navigation is now free

The force is strong with this one
All Trolls, please rise for the anthem...RIP
I'm living on the EDGE! THE UBUNTU EDGE!<--Click Here!
I'm also a serial thread derailer!
 
woody14619's Avatar
Posts: 1,439 | Thanked: 3,160 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
#14
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
for the Q2 election we introduced the "wiki page" format presentation / introduction for each candidate. that's all nice and dandy but leaves maybe too much latitude to the candidate and the voters with to many unanswered questions.

could we this time introduce a Q&A format, maybe a "mud thread" which would also put each and every candidate to the test of the daily churning of the Council activity (i.e. standing word and answer to the community on a thread)?
While I like the idea, we did have a Q&A on the wiki page last year, than anyone could have added to at any time. In fact, there were a couple of late questions, which most nominees (including all that were elected that cycle I believe) answered.

There were also a number of questions asked in the main thread here, and on the mailing list that each candidate answered.

I would like to see the Q&A stuff on the wiki page again. I just want to make sure you're proposing something in addition to what was done last time, and not in replacement of it, as I think the last cycle the election went well and presented a lot of good information to those looking to vote.
__________________
Maemo Council Member: May 2012 - November 2012
Hildon Foundation founding member.
Hildon Foundation Board of Directors: March 2013 - Jan 15, 2014
 

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
woody14619's Avatar
Posts: 1,439 | Thanked: 3,160 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
#15
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Will both the Board and the Council have a President?
The structure of the Board to date is that of equals. The Board (by the current bylaws) may create a position of President, or Chairman, and appoint that title. But initially, there is no requirement to do so.

The Council has traditionally had a Chairman, elected by the Council shortly after they are elected, who is responsible for a few things on top of normal Council duties. (Announcing elections, speaking on behalf of the Council when one voice is needed, etc.)

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
I nominate the entire current council.
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Does anyone of the current council run again?
Hold your horses there buckaroos, nominations don't even start until the 15th (and must be made the mailing list). We needed to announce 30 days before the vote based on the election rules, which is what this announcement was (that and the scheduled alarm went off a week ago on my N900, and I'm tired of hitting snooze). I for one haven't even considered if I'll run again, as I've been quite busy with my current duties, job, and life. I suspect most of the current Council are in a similar state.
__________________
Maemo Council Member: May 2012 - November 2012
Hildon Foundation founding member.
Hildon Foundation Board of Directors: March 2013 - Jan 15, 2014
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,392 | Thanked: 2,100 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
#16
Although it has been clearly advised that any candidate can apply to both Council and Board, I'd like to share my personal opinion in this question.

Council activities can be very time consuming and adding Board duties to that, could be a bit too much for most of the people (real life issues, work, etc). So I really think it would be better to have different people running for each position. That would also prevent that in case someone needs to step down from Maemo activities (for whatever reason) we would loose a member of both organisations.

I haven't decided myself if I will run again for Council or for Board, but unless we really need more candidates, I will only apply for one position.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-09-07 at 07:20.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,119 | Thanked: 3,969 times | Joined on Oct 2009
#17
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
How does the vote work?
Each member of maemo.org, who has an account that is more than 3 months old and who has earned over 10 "karma" points on that account, gets an electronic ballot. This election ballot is a pair of "single transferrable votes". Voters will rank their Council candidates in order of preference; understanding that if their top candidate cannot get elected with the votes they receive, the votes are redistributed by rank order until all five seats have been allocated. They will then be able to vote for Board members in the same manner as the Council election above, with the list of candidates running for that body.
.
Why does it have to be based on your maemo.org account and karma points...
Why not just how long you've been rego'd at TMO & how many posts/thanks there?
Many users who've only come on board since Harmattan won't meet this requirement, even older members in some cases.
Seems a bit discriminatory.....

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The bylaws process is going on now through community review and will continue as long as needed. We will be working to have a much improved draft by Sept 17th so that it can serve as a reference point during the Board elections. If there is a provision of concern in the bylaws, then it should be debated in conjunction with the Board election and asked of the Board candidates rather than the Community Council candidates.
Well we haven't had much "to & fro" in that thread yet, so I'd hope you wouldn't close-off the by-laws for review on the 17th.
Also in the OP of this thread, it should be made clear exactly how many councilors & board members there will be, IIRC it was clarified in the by-laws thread.

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Although it has been clearly advised that any candidate can apply to both Council and Board, I'd like to share my personal opinion in this question.
Council activities can be very time consuming and adding Board duties to that, could be a bit too much for most of the people (real life issues, work, etc). So I really think it would be better to have different people running for each position. That would also prevent that in case someone needs to step down from Maemo activities (for whatever reason) we would loose a member of both organisations.
I haven't decided myself if I will run again for Council or for Board, but unless we really need more candidates, I will only apply for one position.
I'd go a step further & suggest that people can nominate for both, but if they win in both categories then they have to pick one role, & whomever was runner-up takes the other.
(Assuming there's enough suitable runner-up candidates who can & want to step-up of course)
Most users offering to fill these roles are already very busy in their "real lives", they're going to struggle filling one of the roles effectively let alone both.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-15 at 16:27.
 
Moderator | Posts: 6,163 | Thanked: 6,079 times | Joined on Nov 2011
#18
jalyst, you can actually link your TMO account to maemo account to get the thanks and posts counted into karma...

Although IIRC it does take time for the above process to complete hence why I remember I wasn't allowed to vote in the Q2 council elections...I was too new...This time round though I think I may be allowed but ya there will be a huge number of users who won't be allowed to vote...Then again I'm not too sure how the karma system works and why its given that importance so I rather not comment on the appropriateness of karma...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-15 at 15:37.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Dave999's Avatar
Posts: 4,574 | Thanked: 3,656 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
#19
I vote for jalyst!

Most posts should be president.

Why use karma?
__________________
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Live Spy Cam Jolla Party <-- Live unboxing at 3:29:00
N9 Dance
I Don't - n900

Hitler Finds Out Nokia's Ovi Maps Turn By Turn navigation is now free

The force is strong with this one
All Trolls, please rise for the anthem...RIP
I'm living on the EDGE! THE UBUNTU EDGE!<--Click Here!
I'm also a serial thread derailer!
 
Moderator | Posts: 5,119 | Thanked: 3,969 times | Joined on Oct 2009
#20
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
jalyst, you can actually link your TMO account to maemo account to get the thanks and posts counted into karma...
Although IIRC it does take time for the above process to complete hence why I remember I wasn't allowed to vote in the Q2 council elections...I was too new...This time round though I think I may be allowed but ya there will be a huge number of users who won't be allowed to vote...Then again I'm not too sure how the karma system works and why its given that importance so I rather not comment on the appropriateness of karma...
Well there you go, you learn something new every day, I never knew that, I'm amazed I've missed that over the years!
Still seems a bit cumbersome, leaves out way too many people who dont even know about it & probably should be part of the process etc.
But no doubt this has all been carefully considered, & this approach deemed the best option for a range of reasons...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I vote for jalyst!
Most posts should be president.
Why use karma?
I'm not running for either, zero interest, other than ensuring some decent users get into both roles.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-15 at 16:29.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55.