Active Topics

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Lynnwood, WA
Hi.

I am wondering if the Wi-Fi connection for the N800 is 802.11G compatible? I am asking because the file transfer speed tops around 5-6 Mbps via Wi-Fi within the intranet. That's more like 802.11B.

I have a 100 Mbps wired router at home. File transfer between my server and desktop PC is usually fairly quick at around 75-80 Mbps. I don't expect the wireless connection to be nearly that fast, but 5-6 Mbps is way too slow for 802.11G.

Any idea?

TIA,
Dai
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 / Nokia N800

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
Try running the top command in xterm and watching to see if the transfer is consuming all of any given resource. I've seen it written that the tablet's hardware, probably cpu, can bottleneck the data transfer speed.

Unless the N800 is the ONLY device connected to the wi-fi AP then don't expect the full 802.11g throughput.
You also have to take into account data moving to/from whatever media you're using as well.

Originally Posted by FirebirdFeuervogel View Post
Try running the top command in xterm and watching to see if the transfer is consuming all of any given resource. I've seen it written that the tablet's hardware, probably cpu, can bottleneck the data transfer speed.
Thanks for the tips. I am now converting another mp4 file to AVI for transfer. I will check the "top" output when I transfer this file over the my N800.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Unless the N800 is the ONLY device connected to the wi-fi AP then don't expect the full 802.11g throughput.
You also have to take into account data moving to/from whatever media you're using as well.
Thanks for the input, too. Yes, the N800 is the only device currently connected to my wireless access point. (I have a Wii downstairs, but it's off now.) It can be the SDHC card I'm using. It is a SanDisk 4GB SDHC card. A quick googling shows the data tansfer speed to be 2+ MB/sec. It's still much faster than 5-6 Mbps, but this and the CPU bottleneck together may be the culprit.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Dai

I ran "top" while transferring this 500+ MB file from my desktop to the N800 (via ssh). The ssh process took about 40-45% of the CPU time, with scp taking up about 5 percent, meaning it's roughly 45-50 percent. How should I interpret the result? Does it mean the CPU isn't the bottleneck?

The Following User Says Thank You to daihard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Both the 770 and N800 are 11b/11g compatible, however they both top out on WiFi transfers at about 600Kbytes/sec.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I think the bottleneck was mentioned to be the speed of (SPI) bus between OMAP and Wi-fi chip. You can't expect real G speeds with current Nokia tablets (practical maximum tends to be one half of 54Mbits i.e. something like 2.5MB/s) but still having G networking is very useful for battery life. With G speeds less time is spent on actual radio transmitting so the power is consumed for shorter time.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Both the 770 and N800 are 11b/11g compatible, however they both top out on WiFi transfers at about 600Kbytes/sec.
It makes me wonder what the value of "802.11G compatibility" is when the transfer speed tops out around 600-650 KB/s (roughly 5 Mbps)? That's about the realistic speed of 802.11B.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Chicago, IL, USA
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
It makes me wonder what the value of "802.11G compatibility" is when the transfer speed tops out around 600-650 KB/s (roughly 5 Mbps)? That's about the realistic speed of 802.11B.
The "value" is that it won't cause your 802.11g network to crap itself when it sees an 802.11b node. Thus, your N800 won't cause other devices on the same network (e.g., your laptop) to suffer a network performance hit when it attaches to the access point.

(When an 802.11b node associates with an access point, the access point enables various features to ensure the b and g nodes can interoperate, such as CTS/RTS for every frame. So your g nodes take a huge performance hit the moment a single b node associates.)

Also, as I believe someone else already mentioned, in g mode, the radio takes less time to send a frame, therefor the device uses less overall power since the time spent powering the transmit antenna is reduced. This extends your battery life. (At least for devices like the N800 that never have to worry about sustaining full bandwidth wireless transfers...)

Originally Posted by cwichura View Post
The "value" is that it won't cause your 802.11g network to crap itself when it sees an 802.11b node. Thus, your N800 won't cause other devices on the same network (e.g., your laptop) to suffer a network performance hit when it attaches to the access point.

(When an 802.11b node associates with an access point, the access point enables various features to ensure the b and g nodes can interoperate, such as CTS/RTS for every frame. So your g nodes take a huge performance hit the moment a single b node associates.)

Also, as I believe someone else already mentioned, in g mode, the radio takes less time to send a frame, therefor the device uses less overall power since the time spent powering the transmit antenna is reduced. This extends your battery life. (At least for devices like the N800 that never have to worry about sustaining full bandwidth wireless transfers...)
Aah, I see. I apparently did not realize that the "G" designation was not just about speed, and that access points worked like you explained. So when an access point services both B and G devices, then the G devices suffer a performance hit... I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Dai