hi all.

I am interested to install and test Nemo and Nitdroid on my N9 16GB PR1.3 unlocked from factory, but i want to know if i having problems with my passwords.

Can i go back and re-install the stock kernel?

if can do it i have not problem to load the open kernel, if cant go back to the stock kernel i need to think about it.

what you think about the open mode, advantage and issues.

Can i go back and re-install the stock kernel?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sure you can flash your device both open mode and closed mode, every other day if you so wish
After a full flash (whichever mode to) you cannot tell what was the previous mode the phone was on.

By password problems, what exactly do you mean? With open mode there is just one "password difference" that I know of, in open mode you cannot use the device lock code. All other passwords work correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
juiceme,

I think the OP means if you have accounts in normal mode and flash to open mode then your passwords have to be entered at every boot-up unless you delete ~/.accounts, ~/.aegis, ~/.activesync or simply delete and re-add the accounts...

So I think he is asking if from open mode to normal mode will he have the same issue which of course will happen ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, that is of course true.

When you go to open mode, you need to delete password storages, but after that when you enter your passwords once, they will be there until you flash again to closed mode.

Now as I think about it, I think it should be possible to back up your password storage in closed mode (using aegis) and restore it later on some day when you flash your device back to closed mode.
Same way when you are in open mode and have created your password storages, just before flashing to closed mode you could save your password storages for the day you will be flashing back to open mode.

Am I correct in the above, or is there something that prevents this in closed mode? (I know it works with open mode...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Sure you can flash your device both open mode and closed mode, every other day if you so wish
After a full flash (whichever mode to) you cannot tell what was the previous mode the phone was on.

By password problems, what exactly do you mean? With open mode there is just one "password difference" that I know of, in open mode you cannot use the device lock code. All other passwords work correctly.
My meaning is, i read from the forum when i flash to open mode the device can not save the passwords for the email accounts, facebook, skype or twiter.

But this is not really important for me, the only really important is how to go back to the stoke Kernel.

Thank you every body.

tonight i will do it and tell you how it is going.

only one question more.
to go back to closed mode just need to do a full flash whit the stoke firmware?

Originally Posted by francalero View Post
My meaning is, i read from the forum when i flash to open mode the device can not save the passwords for the email accounts, facebook, skype or twiter.

But this is not really important for me, the only really important is how to go back to the stoke Kernel.

francalero,

Like juiceme mentioned later on, yes you can save the accounts' passwords but first you must delete the accounts and re-create them...

To go back to stock kernel it is recommended to do a rootfs flash but I think you can just do the same commands to go back without inputting the zimage i.e.

Code:
flasher -F rootfs.bin --flash-only=kernel -f -R
Ofcourse as mentioned above, switching between normal & open modes would mean you having to delete and re-create your accounts...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-11-17 at 02:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Yes, that is of course true.

When you go to open mode, you need to delete password storages, but after that when you enter your passwords once, they will be there until you flash again to closed mode.

Now as I think about it, I think it should be possible to back up your password storage in closed mode (using aegis) and restore it later on some day when you flash your device back to closed mode.
Same way when you are in open mode and have created your password storages, just before flashing to closed mode you could save your password storages for the day you will be flashing back to open mode.

Am I correct in the above, or is there something that prevents this in closed mode? (I know it works with open mode...)
how can i do the backup?

i will do it before install the Open Mode.

Would you please explain how it would be done? From what I know the CAL-area is locked to read-only when switched to open mode so therefore the passwords are not saved...Does switching back to normal mode mean that the CAL-area has the same encryption keys as pre-open mode?

If so, would just copying the ~/.aegis folder be enough?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Does switching back to normal mode mean that the CAL-area has the same encryption keys as pre-open mode?

If so, would just copying the ~/.aegis folder be enough?
I assume so. But this is just my educated guess so until it is tried it remains just speculation.