Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I did this modification for myself, just thought to share it. I don't have time now to take screenshots, I kindly request that someone please install it and share screenshots.

Installation instructions

To install it you just have to copy two files, en_us_arrows.xml and symbols_en_lc.xml to /home/user/.config/meego-keyboard/layouts/ and select the new keyboard from settings. No root required, no developer mode. Just filebox.

Detailed description

This layout adds a (not very good-looking) slim row of buttons at the bottom with arrows (inspired from symbian) The buttons are very slim but they are easy to hit because they are on the edge of the screen. Keyboard themers out there please check if something can be done about small buttons for maliit.

When you tilt your phone to landscape the layout changes and the arrows are in a more traditional triangle layout on the right (similar to the N900's hwkb). On landscape mode, the symbols page becomes one page with 5 rows and all symbols.

Known Issues

Due to a bug in maliit, or something I don't know, to make the symbols page stay, you need to swipe a little upwards, so that your finger is over the upper ABC button when you release. (That is the reason I included two ABC buttons). This is a minor glitch and you can learn to live with it. If you don't like this behaviour or the single-page symbols layout, you can use the symbols_en_lc.xml from the 2-page-symbols folder.

How to get it

There is a zip file attached but it may not be always up to date. I uploaded to github for easy versioning. If you want to add your own symbols or make cosmetic modifications, feel free to create a pull request.

https://github.com/qwazix/advanced-N9-vkb-layout

The package includes a greek keyboard with the same modifications too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip advanced-N9-vkb-layout.zip (31.8 KB, 288 views)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-12-31 at 19:07. Reason: Fixed wrong symbols file

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2012 @ THESSALONIKI GREECE
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
i did this modification for myself, just thought to share it. I don't have time now to take screenshots, i kindly request that someone please install it and share screenshots.

installation instructions

to install it you just have to copy two files, en_us_arrows.xml and symbols_en_lc.xml to /home/user/.config/meego-keyboard/layouts/ and select the new keyboard from settings

detailed description

this layout adds a (not very good-looking) slim row of buttons at the bottom with arrows (inspired from symbian) the buttons are very slim but they are easy to hit because they are on the edge of the screen. Keyboard themers out there please check if something can be done about small buttons for maliit.

When you tilt your phone to landscape the layout changes and the arrows are in a more traditional triangle layout on the right (similar to the n900's hwkb). On landscape mode, the symbols page becomes one page with 5 rows and all symbols.

known issues

due to a bug in maliit, or something i don't know, to make the symbols page stay, you need to swipe a little upwards, so that your finger is over the upper abc button when you release. (that is the reason i included two abc buttons). This is a minor glitch and you can learn to live with it. If you don't like this behaviour or the single-page symbols layout, you can use the symbols_en_lc.xml from the 2-page-symbols folder.

how to get it

there is a zip file attached but it may not be always up to date. I uploaded to github for easy versioning. If you want to add your own symbols or make cosmetic modifications, feel free to create a pull request.

https://github.com/qwazix/advanced-n9-vkb-layout

the package includes a greek keyboard with the same modifications too.

wow!!!! You are great!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by gaiosgf; 2012-12-30 at 18:32.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gaiosgf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 673 | Thanked: 230 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Mumbai
can u integrate it in mesinput that would be a easy nethod to install

Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
I dont know why people like to quote huge posts pointlessly.

MesInput will be great for common users.

cheers.

The thing is that if you download only the keyboard, and not the symbols, it will not work as expected in landscape, and mesinput does not have a way to upload bundles. Also the fact that you need to swipe away from 123? is something that is difficult to communicate in mesinput.

Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
Ok. I see. Anyway, good work

The Following User Says Thank You to bibek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
qwazix, thank. The arrows not work in messages app, but it nice.
If this ok from your side I can add your vkb to N9QT.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
work fine on me.

@Schturman
Arrows don't work on messages app in any configuration unfortunately. Must be something with the messages app itself.

Please add it to N9QT, yes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
mmm!!when i m in landscape never returned in numeric .why?

Tags
kbd w/arrows, vkb n9