Posts: 9 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vancouver, BC
I know that there were USB port issues years ago with the n900, but mine seems to be different than the other problems I found searching the forums.

I found only a minute ago that my n900 wasn't connecting to my computer when i plugged it in to the USB slot. If I push down on the side plugged into the microusb port in the n900 it will connect and charge, but as soon as I let go the connection is lost.

I tried with a wall charger and with a different cable, but it's definitely a problem with the n900-side connection. I pushed the teeth up a bit to give a bit more contact, but it didn't make a difference. I've also dismantled the phone to make sure it's not loose, and it seems to be solidly attached to the PCB.

Has anyone experienced this issue before or have a solution/suggestion? I hope I don't have to replace the microusb port altogether.

Originally Posted by Disco Cat View Post
I know that there were USB port issues years ago with the n900, but mine seems to be different than the other problems I found searching the forums.

I found only a minute ago that my n900 wasn't connecting to my computer when i plugged it in to the USB slot. If I push down on the side plugged into the microusb port in the n900 it will connect and charge, but as soon as I let go the connection is lost.

I tried with a wall charger and with a different cable, but it's definitely a problem with the n900-side connection. I pushed the teeth up a bit to give a bit more contact, but it didn't make a difference. I've also dismantled the phone to make sure it's not loose, and it seems to be solidly attached to the PCB.

Has anyone experienced this issue before or have a solution/suggestion? I hope I don't have to replace the microusb port altogether.
AFAIK your problem sounds just like others, I read not long ago of a user here that had to spend 5 minutes every night finding a position in which his phone would charge...

You should check which connections are lose / not firmly attached and resolder those only. Then you should reinforce the USB. Search the forums for pointers, there are GREAT guides here, I have reinforced mine with solder and, even though it's not a great job as me + my soldering iron are horrible I still feel safer

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Sounds like your USB is about to fall off. Reflow or resolder is the only guaranteed fix, but it's not easy...

Last edited by cr0c0; 2013-02-08 at 05:03.

Thanks for the replies.

I've noticed it's not easy. I can't get the solder to stick to the PCB, so I just get a larger and larger bead of solder on the side of the usb port, but not sticking to the board.

Having taken it apart again, I've noticed that when the cable is plugged in the whole port comes loose. With what little solder I can get to hold it down, it just pops off again the next time I plug the cable in.

I've possibly already destroyed the phone, because some solder has gotten onto the base around the camera, though nothing around the base of the bloody usb port.

And now port has stopped working entirely no matter how I hold the cable. I guess I need to look for a new phone

Thanks for the replies.

I've noticed it's not easy. I can't get the solder to stick to the PCB, so I just get a larger and larger bead of solder on the side of the usb port, but not sticking to the board.

Having taken it apart again, I've noticed that when the cable is plugged in the whole port comes loose. With what little solder I can get to hold it down, it just pops off again the next time I plug the cable in.

I've possibly already destroyed the phone, because some solder has gotten onto the base around the camera, though nothing around the base of the bloody usb port.
Actually I have done this mod myself and I can tell you that what you need is to scrape the "green" off the PCB around the USB and copper will be exposed, the solder likes sticking to that copper.

And now port has stopped working entirely no matter how I hold the cable. I guess I need to look for a new phone
Well there are several approaches you can take:
  1. Try fixing the USB port: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920
  2. Try soldering a USB port to the test pads (not recommended for extensive use as several protection circuits in the N900 are bypassed): http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=997818&postcount=9
  3. Buy a battery charger and a new battery on Ebay and if you didn't use the USB too much you will not notice any differences.
  4. Buy a whole new N900/different phone

That is all you can do reall, good luck

EDIT: Actually if the port just stopped working but you haven't ripped it out chances are getting it to work again by heating the usb connections to the PCB and possibly applying a bit of solder MIGHT get you a working USB connection again, I know I did that a while back with a USB WiFi card as I ran out of solder and it worked...

EDIT2: I need to think before I post... You could also if you have a multimeter measure the resistance between the testpads I sent before and the 'real' usb points that correspond to see which ones are the broken connections and fix those. Then reinforce as per stated in threads, scratch green thing of and solder (here you can see those scratches really well: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=20)

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2013-02-08 at 05:14.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Ok, first of all, since the port did not rip off, you may still be able to salvage it.

Second of all, when I said it's not easy to fix it, I meant it. When I recently bought my two new (to me) N900s with the USB ports intact, I asked my mom to reinforce them. Before you laugh, she used to fix computers in the 80s and 90s, and soldering tiny components was her job. Well, between my crappy soldering iron and the small area that needed resoldering, she did not have an easy time.

Now to get back on topic, since the traces did not rip off the motherboard, you can have someone solder in a new USB port. A couple of our board members does it for a fee if you live in Europe. Here is the thread with more info:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75920

If you live in the US, try and find a local repair shop. They do exist. In Toronto for instance there are a few specialty electronics stores that can point you in the right direction.

Does your mom want to come over and fix my phone?

The port hasn't come off the board still, but even when it was half-working, the right side was separated. I don't know what exactly I did to make it stop working, so I'm guessing I'll hold off doing any more damage just in case.

Hopefully I can find a repair shop that would be willing to work on it, since Nokia has pulled out of the Vancouver area. I sent them a message asking about costs for repair, but I'm guessing they won't do anything with it anymore given how much effort they put into hidi any evidence that the n900 ever existed. I'm guessing the port would have to be removed entirely and re-seated now.

In the meantime, I've ordered an external battery charger and will have to deal with turning the device off every couple of days to swap batteries.