Hello everyone,
After wanting one of these for 2 years, I am finally going to purchase one to toy around with. What should I check for in terms of whether the phone is defective, in bad shape, or broken? One thing I will check is if the GPS and A-GPS are functioning properly.

I am just a little worried as most of these are out of warranty and I'd prefer to make sure it's good within the first few days so that I can return it, rather than try to sell a broken device to someone else.

Also, does anyone know if the N9 supports line-out audio to an amp like the FiiO E7 via USB or the 3.5mm jack?

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
how are N9s out of warranty??! It went on sale fall of 2011

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
how are N9s out of warranty??! It went on sale fall of 2011
Sorry, should have phrased that differently.

I live in the USA and I don't recall the N9 being sold here, and I don't think Nokia will honor the warranty if I send to be serviced here versus the country it was initially sold in.

On a sidenote, I'm assuming your phone has a 2 year warranty? I think most phones sold here typically have a 1 year warranty

The Following User Says Thank You to eviloar For This Useful Post:
If the N9 was not sold in your country, it has no warranty supposedly. I checked with a few Nokia Service Centres here in the UK after I got mine from Singapore - they said all repairs would be chargeable as warranties are only for the country in which the device originated - as my warranty card in the box also says.

Nokia online warranty checker seems to have been removed, I only managed to find it on the Indian website, where it said "Out of warranty (in this country). As authorised service centres don't want to touch it, I doubt Nokia will themselves.

In the EU, Nokia warranties are usually 2 years.

To be honest, apart from the GPS, I would just do the usual checks (see if screws are rounded to see if it has been opened) and that the IMEI on the sim tray, phone and box all match.

Most folk with an N9 look after it as we know it was Nokia's swan song!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nad For This Useful Post:
There are not that many hardware problems. But inspect display colours and there should not be gray stripes against a white background.

USB door is easy to replace...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Most broblems are software related and maybe a good advise is to flash used devise before use....

The Following User Says Thank You to Wallace For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
There are not that many hardware problems. But inspect display colours and there should not be gray stripes against a white background.

USB door is easy to replace...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Most broblems are software related and maybe a good advise is to flash used devise before use....
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Ah yes, I am not looking forward to checking out the screen. I went through 4 HTC nexus one phones with AMOLED screens before settling on one with a screen that wasn't awful.

Originally Posted by eviloar View Post
Hello everyone,
After wanting one of these for 2 years, I am finally going to purchase one to toy around with. What should I check for in terms of whether the phone is defective, in bad shape, or broken? One thing I will check is if the GPS and A-GPS are functioning properly.

I am just a little worried as most of these are out of warranty and I'd prefer to make sure it's good within the first few days so that I can return it, rather than try to sell a broken device to someone else.

Also, does anyone know if the N9 supports line-out audio to an amp like the FiiO E7 via USB or the 3.5mm jack?
Nokia USA will NOT support the warranty. You can send it back to the country of origin and incur the shipping fees which would probably be offset by a) buying for a good price and b) having a local repair center fix.

While not as flimsy as the N900, the USB port isn't super-strong, so make sure the USB fit is still snug. Like many Nokia phones, they are particular about chargers and cables. See that it comes with the original charger and cable if possible (You will probably need a plug adapter).

It's an interesting screen to see. Sometimes I like using the phone late at night and I like how it isn't so bright like my old HTC Sensation/Amaze and current Lumia 900. Those phones are too bright. On a pure white background in the darkness you will see the peculiarities of how the N9 shows pure white. Blacks are inky, pure white is more off-white.

Check for flaking finish.

Check if it's got a "Creaky case" in case that's a big deal to you (makes a noise when pressing volume or power buttons).

Why buy used when you can get brand new ones for just a bit more on places like Amazon? Good luck and enjoy, it's an beautiful experience, especially the low-power standby screen. I'm transitioning to a Lumia 900 (hiss) but enjoyed using my N9. Where are you located? I live in the US and you could see mine if you're local.

Last edited by N9WB; 2013-03-23 at 21:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to N9WB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by N9WB View Post
Nokia USA will NOT support the warranty. You can send it back to the country of origin and incur the shipping fees which would probably be offset by a) buying for a good price and b) having a local repair center fix.

While not as flimsy as the N900, the USB port isn't super-strong, so make sure the USB fit is still snug. Like many Nokia phones, they are particular about chargers and cables. See that it comes with the original charger and cable if possible (You will probably need a plug adapter).

It's an interesting screen to see. Sometimes I like using the phone late at night and I like how it isn't so bright like my old HTC Sensation/Amaze and current Lumia 900. Those phones are too bright. On a pure white background in the darkness you will see the peculiarities of how the N9 shows pure white. Blacks are inky, pure white is more off-white.

Check for flaking finish.

Check if it's got a "Creaky case" in case that's a big deal to you (makes a noise when pressing volume or power buttons).

Why buy used when you can get brand new ones for just a bit more on places like Amazon? Good luck and enjoy, it's an beautiful experience, especially the low-power standby screen. I'm transitioning to a Lumia 900 (hiss) but enjoyed using my N9. Where are you located? I live in the US and you could see mine if you're local.
Can't seem to find any new cyan models at the price I'm looking for (roughly $200). And with the warranty issue and my inability to decide between white or cyan, so I figure I might as well just grab a used one and buy a new housing on eBay.

Thanks for the offer to check it out, but it seems I'm on the opposite coast from you. I've played with them before and I use Zephyr on my iPhone in an attempt to feel as cool when using my phone. Prices are low enough now that I can justify buying one to play with.

edit: now I'm debating if I should spent $200 on a used 16gb or $260 on a new 64gb model from amazon haha

Last edited by eviloar; 2013-03-23 at 22:22.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Devon, England
now I'm debating if I should spent $200 on a used 16gb or $260 on a new 64gb model from amazon haha
Bear in mind that short of repartitioning it yourself, the only difference is the size of the MyDocs partition (no extra storage for apps on the 64GB), but it's a very big difference (10GB compared to 58GB, IIRC).

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Can't seem to find any new cyan models at the price I'm looking for (roughly $200). And with the warranty issue and my inability to decide between white or cyan, so I figure I might as well just grab a used one and buy a new housing on eBay.

Thanks for the offer to check it out, but it seems I'm on the opposite coast from you. I've played with them before and I use Zephyr on my iPhone in an attempt to feel as cool when using my phone. Prices are low enough now that I can justify buying one to play with.

edit: now I'm debating if I should spent $200 on a used 16gb or $260 on a new 64gb model from amazon haha
I Bought the Amazon personally. Am not with a cyan one but I like it.