Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Lanterne is a small app for working with the LEDs used to create a flash for the N900's camera. At the moment, it supports "torch" mode (continuously light the LEDs at low power), and "strobe" mode (a quick flash of the LEDs at high power). Also, holding down the "strobe" button will cause the LEDs to flash continuously (a "strobelight" effect).

The LED power, the duration of the strobe, and the pause between strobes can be modified.

Warning: I am not an expert on the flash LEDs! Although I have made an effort to ensure that only safe values can be entered for these parameters, I cannot say for certain that this app will not damage your LEDs. Use with caution!

At this point, several features have been added:
* A Morse code flasher, allowing you to type in a message or load a text file to be transmitted. The dot duration is configurable.
* A continuous SOS beacon.
* A continuous pulse (essentially, Morse E rather than SOS).
* Support for use with the red (indicator) LED.

Lanterne now recognizes the status of the camera cover, and avoids turning on the LEDs if it is closed (and will turn off the LEDs if the user closes the cover). Also, it can now exit when the user closes the camera cover.

Version 0.5.6 has been added to the end of this post, as well as submitted to the extras-devel repository.

Lanterne is open-source software, released under the GPL version 2 (or greater). You can find the source code at Github:

https://github.com/jpietrzak8/Lanterne
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb lanterne_0_5_10_armel.deb (81.2 KB, 372 views)

Last edited by Copernicus; 2014-08-16 at 14:51. Reason: Version 0.5.6 now available.

The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Thank you for this application.
One request (if you are taking any)...
I have always wished to be able to type out and flash morse code with the flashlight. Possible?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I have always wished to be able to type out and flash morse code with the flashlight.
Of course typing plain text, or?
And output in terminal and LED is morse code...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I have always wished to be able to type out and flash morse code with the flashlight. Possible?
It shouldn't be hard, at least in terms of turning the LED on and off. (I have to admit I never learned morse code myself, so I probably don't know all the tricks involved; I know a bit about how letters and numbers are keyed, but I think there's something more intricate involved when keying out full words and sentences...)

In any case, hooking up keyboard keys to sets of LED pulses shouldn't be too hard. I guess you could also feed text files into the thing and get series of pulses out...

It'd probably be easier to work with this using the "torch" mechanism rather than the "flash" mechanism, as I'd have finer control over "torch" timing; would you need the highest-level brightness for your morse code flashes?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Ok, version 0.1.0 of Lanterne is now on its way up to extras-devel. From the pull-down menu, you can now select "Morse Code", which will bring up a window with a text entry field; type your desired text into this field, click "Transmit Code", and the LED will flash out the characters for you.

There is also a "Dot Duration" spinbox; you can use this to determine the length of a dot. (A dash is three dots, dashes and dots are separated by a dot-length pause, characters are separated by a 3-dot-length pause, and words are separated by a 7-dot-length pause.)

This is just standard Morse alphabet, taken off of the Wiki page for Morse code. I haven't tried to add any internationalization or shortcuts or whatever (and I probably don't know enough to do it right anyway). But, at least, it should support the basics.

Now, the _really_ interesting app addition imho would be to have the N900 read incoming morse code, not just transmit it. Dunno just how much effort that would take, though...

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
thanks for the app. I have a question. for how long can we use N900'a LED's as flash continiously without damaging them ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Thank you for this application.
One request (if you are taking any)...
You must have read my mind! One of the applications which I have planned for when I get into programming is a morse code application. This is one of its features, but it is a bit more ambitious than that. I am going to start learning programming for the N900 next month, but I don't know when I will become productive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ok, version 0.1.0 of Lanterne is now on its way up to extras-devel. From the pull-down menu, you can now select "Morse Code", which will bring up a window with a text entry field; type your desired text into this field, click "Transmit Code", and the LED will flash out the characters for you.

There is also a "Dot Duration" spinbox; you can use this to determine the length of a dot. (A dash is three dots, dashes and dots are separated by a dot-length pause, characters are separated by a 3-dot-length pause, and words are separated by a 7-dot-length pause.)

This is just standard Morse alphabet, taken off of the Wiki page for Morse code. I haven't tried to add any internationalization or shortcuts or whatever (and I probably don't know enough to do it right anyway). But, at least, it should support the basics.

Now, the _really_ interesting app addition imho would be to have the N900 read incoming morse code, not just transmit it. Dunno just how much effort that would take, though...
This is amazing. LOL. I had also thought about the detection module. I don't know how feasible it is though. Ideally you would want to analyze a live video buffer without actually saving it on the fly, and perhaps apply some sort of levels filter to better detect on-off events.

Personally, I think doing this is a challenge, but I wouldn't put it past you to come up with a way to do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
It shouldn't be hard, at least in terms of turning the LED on and off. (I have to admit I never learned morse code myself, so I probably don't know all the tricks involved; I know a bit about how letters and numbers are keyed, but I think there's something more intricate involved when keying out full words and sentences...)
CuteCW is a morse code application I use on N900 maybe worth a look if you fancy.
Normally there is a character per second value but there is nothing too complicated about sentences in morse.

In any case, hooking up keyboard keys to sets of LED pulses shouldn't be too hard. I guess you could also feed text files into the thing and get series of pulses out...
Thank you for the new version.
I was imagining a live keyboard type method but typing a string and pressing enter works fine.

It'd probably be easier to work with this using the "torch" mechanism rather than the "flash" mechanism, as I'd have finer control over "torch" timing; would you need the highest-level brightness for your morse code flashes?
You wouldn't need flash brightness IMO. I would stick to known safe limits of the LED's where possible.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
I have a question. for how long can we use N900'a LED's as flash continiously without damaging them ?
I have absolutely no clue, and as such, would not use them for very long. Personally, I'd stick with the "torch" functionality instead, if you want to keep them on continuously...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch