Posts: 38 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ India
My N900 is pretty old and now it has stopped connecting to wifi networks.
I have tried all sorts of security methods but still the result remains the same.
N900 scans just fine, wifiinfo also shows good quality for nearby networks. I am able to connect once i keep the n900 device close to the router. I have to practically touch the router antenna with my device to connect.

It does point that hardware is screwed but I still have hope since the scanning works fine.

Also to point out dmesg shows direct probe to ap try 1..2...3...timed out
Can anybody guide me on how to make sure the wifi chip is fried.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by sat2050 View Post
N900 scans just fine, wifiinfo also shows good quality for nearby networks. I am able to connect once i keep the n900 device close to the router. I have to practically touch the router antenna with my device to connect.
Those two things look confusing. Having to get so close to get connection indicates a loss of sensitivity of some sort but Wifiinfo showing good signal contradicts it. One possible cause that I can imagine is that the device receives the signal at good enough level but cannot tune to it very well. If the signal is very strong, the imperfect tuning does not matter and you get the connection.

Getting any connection at all indicates that the circuitry is working.
It is not impossible but unlikely that only a part of a chip would go AWOL. I would start by looking for a problem somewhere else. This is what I would do, in the given order. Please note this based on no more that an educated guess:

1. Verify that it is not the router. Go to a cafe with free WiFi and try there. Try your router with another phone.

2. Open the phone and clean it up. Dirt or moisture on the part of the PCB that makes the WiFi antenna or around the HF components can easily be the cause.

3. Flash the phone. I know it sounds weird since your poblem does not look software related but I am just saying what I would have done.

Good luck!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ India
Hi,

1. I have already tried with the routers and access points in several locations. Tried mobile hotspots too with other phones but I am only able to connect when i touch the device with AP or mobile. Signal strength is also fine but connection always times out if I am distant from the AP.
Also with other phones the routers are working fine.
2. Will try the cleaning up thing.
3. Flashing I have tried multiple times.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to sat2050 For This Useful Post: