Posts: 66 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Penang, Malaysia
hi all. my keyboard didn't stay lit all the time. And when I slide open my keyboard, the keyboard LED is stays off rather turn on automatically

usually when I lock my phone and after that i open the keyboard slide, it unlocks the screen immediately and go to landscape

so, is it the problem with keyboard slide sensor?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by blood_falcon View Post
so, is it the problem with keyboard slide sensor?
The easiest test that comes to my mind would be:

1) Open up a web page in the browser.

2) Make sure rotation is enabled (as described above), and hold the phone vertically. The page should be displayed in portrait mode.

3) While holding the phone vertical, slide open the keyboard. The page should change to landscape mode.

If this works, your hardware should be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
hi, bro copernicus.

answering your question:
1&2. yes, i have opened my web browser and go to settings and tick "Enable Rotation", but still cannot go to portrait mode

3. when opening the keyboard while holding my phone vertically -> display still lock at landscape.

but, i noticed one thing. when typing or when i opened my keyboard while my phone is still locked. the LED on keyboard didn't lit. it only lit when turning on my phone. could this be my keyboard slide sensor problem?

1&2. yes, i have opened my web browser and go to settings and tick "Enable Rotation", but still cannot go to portrait mode

3. when opening the keyboard while holding my phone vertically -> display still lock at landscape.

but, i noticed one thing. when typing or when i opened my keyboard while my phone is still locked. the LED on keyboard didn't lit. it only lit when turning on my phone. could this be my keyboard slide sensor problem?
Yeah, that does sound like the phone believes that your keyboard is open, even when it is closed. I don't think the keyboard light should turn on when you switch the phone on; but, I just tried turning one of my N900s on while the keyboard was open, and yes, it did light up the keyboard.

At this point, I think the link that devilboy posted above probably has the info you need to continue from here; you could either manually tell the phone what state the keyboard is in (by editing the /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state file), or fix the problem directly by repairing or replacing the magnet/sensor pair located just above the "P" key...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
thanks bro copernicus. Can you help me guide on how to edit the /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state file? and is the sensor soldered on mobo? if yes, can you help me to find the store which still have mobo stock. and if no, can you help me to find one? I cannot seem to find the sparepart

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Philippines
have you tried to reflash your phone again? make sure that you have the exact stock firmware version specifically for your phone

The Following User Says Thank You to deiviboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Philippines
thanks bro copernicus. Can you help me guide on how to edit the /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state file? and is the sensor soldered on mobo? if yes, can you help me to find the store which still have mobo stock. and if no, can you help me to find one? I cannot seem to find the sparepart
install midnight commander i think it's from extras repository you can edit it from there just navigate through the directories and click edit. be careful though you could brick your device since you're going to edit system configuration

The Following User Says Thank You to deiviboy For This Useful Post:
hi bro deiviboy, I've just tried reflash my phone with PR 1.3.1. but still cannot rotate. Can I buy sensor from you?

thanks bro copernicus. Can you help me guide on how to edit the /sys/devices/platform/gpio-switch/slide/state file?
Actually, that's pretty easy; the file is generated by the operating system, and contains just one word: either "open" or "closed". You'll need to gain root access, then edit the file with your favorite editor and change the word to "closed", at which point (hopefully) it will then believe that the keyboard is closed.

However, I just tried this on my N900, and the OS immediately set it back to "open", so I don't know just how well this technique will work for you.

and is the sensor soldered on mobo? if yes, can you help me to find the store which still have mobo stock. and if no, can you help me to find one? I cannot seem to find the sparepart
I'm really not a hardware guy, so I can't help you on this. I have no manual dexterity, so I've learned never to open my machines, lest they be battered and bruised to bits...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
hi bro copernicus, thank you very much for your guidance, but this didn't work either.

So I think I better go repair my sensor or replace it

Bro Deiviboy, do you have any spareparts to sell?

Thank you