Active Topics

I was waiting for a while, but it seems that Jolla doesn't want to produce another revision of the first device with a modem for North American frequencies. Or am I wrong?

So what is the plan going forward? Can it be expected only in the next device altogether (next year?) or Jolla didn't even plan that far yet?

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I was waiting for a while, but it seems that Jolla doesn't want to produce another revision of the first device with a modem for North American frequencies. Or am I wrong?

So what is the plan going forward? Can it be expected only in the next device altogether (next year?) or Jolla didn't even plan that far yet?
There will be new Jolla phone next year.
(Source in Finnish: http://mobiili.fi/2014/02/12/tekniik...a-ensi-vuonna/)

Haven't seen any discussion or anything official about US version for the current phone.
My personal guess is US version isn't even in the table for the current model. For next phone? Who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I was waiting for a while, but it seems that Jolla doesn't want to produce another revision of the first device with a modem for North American frequencies.
Why would they want to? The North American market is already completely saturated (far more so than Asia, at least); so it'd involve significant startup pain for much less gain. The Android model -- build a popular OS, while letting the hardware manufacturers go through the effort of actually pushing the machines into the market -- seems far more viable for a tiny company like Jolla...

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Why would they want to? The North American market is already completely saturated (far more so than Asia, at least); so it'd involve significant startup pain for much less gain. The Android model -- build a popular OS, while letting the hardware manufacturers go through the effort of actually pushing the machines into the market -- seems far more viable for a tiny company like Jolla...
I'm not sure about saturated, as there are more phone models easily available across Europe as all operators carry pretty much all phones available in common networks, rather than every operator having their own LTE and even 3G bands in US.
Making this artificial wall between customers and data providers. They should be just offering you data and competing in price, not be above you and decide for you what phones you can buy.
Mostly because of that operator model it is made impossible for brands like Jolla to do anything in North America.

With all phones being bought via operators in US, it is not simply feasible for Jolla to get the phone FCC approved, put US specific modem, that still will only work for two or one operators and then sell the phone unlocked for the couple of customers that might buy it unlocked. That very small niche in US that might buy phone outside operator and must have Jolla, already have one.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
All this talk about market being saturated is not true. The same thing could be said about Europe, and would be wrong the same way. The main concern for Jolla there is not saturation as in "no potential users", but crooked companies and broken patent law. But that can be dealt with, even if with some care.

@tissot: They can put in the modem that would work with all major operators. Nokia did that with N9, no problem. Especially since now most operators support LTE. It's CDMA which are a problem, and those can be ignored.

FCC approval doesn't depend on operators, it depends on physical parameters of the device (frequencies, SAR and so on). So I don't see how that is any way harder than getting such approval in Europe which has its own regulations. It's some work, yes, but doable.

In US it's becoming more common to get devices outside carriers, especially with no contract plans. So the notion that you need to sell through the carrier only is already outdated.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-04-20 at 18:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jolla Working on jPhone ll released in Finland and Europe. shmerl, you are probably out of luck in this one.

You can read all about it here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92029

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-20 at 18:29.

If the second device will have a universal modem (which is a common feature in modern SoCs), then it won't be an issue where it will be released. Who cares, you can order it from Europe and it will still work.

So, let's see what comes first. Sailfish installable on other devices, or Jolla device with a universal modem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think jolla shall pick up the Phone and make a call to suunto in Finland and build a smar****ch that kicks *** and works great With jPhone ll...With suunto aMbit lll

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-21 at 09:35.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
It would be a mistake to produce a NAM version like back in the days of the N95. That would surely be a costly distraction for Jolla for the few US users not stuck in a carrier contract.

What is more dissapointing is for European users that have to travel to the USA not having pentaband 3g like most Nokias. From what I gather the chipset supports the frequencies but Jolla chose not to add the RF circuitry. It does seem an odd decision, or am I wrong?

A Suunto tie up would be nice but IMHO the smar****ch thing is a fad that will blow over or be such a small market nobody will make any money... except Apple. Battery tech is just not up to it. I rapidly got tired of recharging my Sony watch every 3-5 days and the thing buzzing away on my wrist for every spam email.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
smar****ches for health data, navigation and training will be huge. Both militery and cevilians will spend in this area. If you want to be part of the future. This is where you should go...