Hi everybody!

It's more than 5 years passed when Nokia released they Nokia N900. After that I had two N900. Last of them I've bought about two years ago. It was absolutely new (!) and in complete set.

Maemo is absolutely great, tremendous and improbable OS! And it's a full-fledged Linux, not only a kernel like Android. But N900' form-factor is not so convenient for me. For example I don't need a QWERTY-keyboard, I use only virtual keyboard, so N900 is so thick for me. I would prefer N9 as form-factor, not its OS.

So I started looking for my beloved N900 replacement, looking to Android phones or some others. I have an Android tablet, but Android is awful for me after Maemo. I've installed cool black theme on it, but it's only for launcher, so other dialogs remained default white, and it's not cool) I've looked at Mer, but I found so few information about it. Meego is not good for me too, because I need many tables, which I can complete myself. So can I ask you, is there is way to install Maemo on Android phones? Is there is any new ideas? I read about that there was some successful attemps to deploy it on HTC One etc.

Thanks a lot and long for the answer!)

The Following User Says Thank You to Acuna For This Useful Post:
The short answer is no.

Some of the more technical gurus on the forum have reported there are a number of blobs and a few proprietary components that prohibits this as a viable port. If it was possible, we would all be running maemo on the modern devices.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Fremantle on octacore and 3gb ram, Qhd screen? Oh come on man, whose gonna beat that? ������

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
On phone?
Hmm..unlikely at this moment...
Your best chance of having maemo on an alternate touch device is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuIrRoRPufc
or Mer on tablet or lap/tab
... say a straight netbook with touch, a tablet if you can find one that suits, or a convertible lap/tab.
or Mer maybe on tablet or lap/tab...in virtual to test...see if you like it..
And yeah as was mentioned ..getting proprietary crap in.. to make it completely similar to the n900 is unlikely.
You may have alot more luck with a distro that has few probs with compat.with our needs...for myself I'm enjoying the new antix 15 ...it has alot that could work in your favour...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Acuna View Post
But N900' form-factor is not so convenient for me. For example I don't need a QWERTY-keyboard, I use only virtual keyboard, so N900 is so thick for me. I would prefer N9 as form-factor, not its OS.
While I realize that Maemo is not Sailfish, as a hard-core Maemo user and hard-core Android/iOS "hater" I can only recommend you buy a Jolla phone.

(I've done that just 3 days ago. Still getting to know the system, but so far happy with it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
so many times I've nearly bought a jolla. prerelease campaign, discounts, multiple times during tablet campaign as a bundle...
initially reservation was due to unknown level of support, now its just the hw being slightly outdated. if they announced a jolla2 today i'd order in a heartbeat.

Maemo using Android graphics drivers via libhybris and Wayland may be the one of the only long term options or an atom+intel hd graphics device. Neo900 is in the position to go without because of the hw similarities (omap). We will need to see what the porting team come up with.

Sticking with X11 (drivers permitting) with an updated user space based on GTK3.14+ is something I've been looking at but not yet tested on any real device. I have a desktop and hildon-home built but have discovered a number of issues with libhildon, mainly around anything using HildonPannableArea seg faulting. I've been rebasing the class on GtkScrolledWindow as upstream now supports touch. _scroll_to()/_jump_to() are proving to be a major culprit of faults. There nearly done, just wish gtk_adjustment_animate_to() was public API, so I'm having to reimplement in class.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot for your important answers. I read it attentively.

Yes, Jolla is nice, I know) I saw some its reviews. It seems similar as Meego, isn't it? But why they basis it on Meego, not Maemo? I think it would be so nice...

I saw something about Blackerry too. But it seems looks like a Meego for me too. Is there are differences from Meego/Sailfish? I can't see it)

And I'm dig on Windows Phone, it looks so cool. Is somebody have an experiense in its use, is there is a sense to change Linux to Windows?

Thanks!

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Thanks a lot for your important answers. I read it attentively.

Yes, Jolla is nice, I know) I saw some its reviews. It seems similar as Meego, isn't it? But why they basis it on Meego, not Maemo? I think it would be so nice...
It's complicated
Sailfish is actually built on top of Nemo, itself on top of Mer. Mer is, AFAIK, a continuation of Meego (like Tizen also is).

And I'm dig on Windows Phone, it looks so cool. Is somebody have an experiense in its use, is there is a sense to change Linux to Windows?
I guess we're not on the same wavelength.. If you find Maemo "absolutely great" then no path can lead you towards Windows (Phone). But of course, this is just an opinion..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
I saw something about Blackerry too. But it seems looks like a Meego for me too. Is there are differences from Meego/Sailfish? I can't see it)
BB 10 is a really great OS, and real alternative if you don't want iOS, Android and Windows crap. Unfortunately it's completely closed OS (based on QNX), so when you love "real Linux" like Maemo, you won't love BB10

But I really don't know, what's your problem with N9... MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan installed on N9 is not really MeeGo... It's closer to Maemo 6 with MeeGo compatibility layer

Best regards,

Jaracz

Nokia 5110 --> Nokia 3210 --> Nokia 8210 --> Nokia 7250i --> Nokia 6500 Slide --> Nokia N97 mini --> Nokia N9 --> BB Z30 --> Jolla C

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaracz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have a Nexus 7 coming that I am planning to wipe and install Ubuntu. I don't ever expect maemo5 apps to compile or work but I would like the Maemo UI design.
It will be mostly for viewing map, approach plate, and checklist PDFs in the cockpit and perhaps installing dump1090 to view and map other airplane transponders like a virtual radar&GPS screen on the yoke.