Active Topics

Notices

VNCviewer looks like a wonderful little tool, but so far, I've been stymied in using it for my main purpose.

Actually, the problem seems to have been raised in this forum a number of times, but never seems to get an answer, so any help would be greatly appreciated (presumably not just by me). If you vnc to a linux system with a screensaver lock enabled, you need to enter the username and password, and then send a <newline> character to open the screen. I (and apparently a number of others) haven't found a way to do this.

Just hitting the 'enter' button on the keyboard causes the cursor to shift down in the keyboard entry field (I'm guessing it sends a <cr> to the screensaver, gets no response, and decides to handle it locally).

Hitting the 'dismiss keyboard' key gets you back to the main screen, but with no (obvious) way to enter the <newline> that the screensaver is waiting for.

Anyone know how to do this?

Just in case, though I don't think it's related to the problem, I should mention that I'm running the vnc session over an ssh tunnel - I've never noticed any similar problems with other vnc clients on OSX or linux over ssh tunnels, so I'm assuming this is an n800 vncviewer problem, rather than an ssh tunneling problem (as confirmation, I note that none of the others who raised this problem mentioned ssh tunneling).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I couldn't seem to get VNC Viewer to send a newline character either. The problem was that you need to disable the thumb keyboard; the stylus keyboard sends a proper newline.

https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/ind...d=119&atid=505

"VNC viewer has some issues when used with the thumb keyboard, but at the same time, the only way to use the thumb keyboard with VNC viewer is to have that setting checked."

Here are the instructions:

You can turn off this setting as follows:
1. Cause the virtual keyboard to be displayed.
2. Click on the menu button on the virtual keyboard, then go
to Tools->Settings.
3. In the "Text input settings" dialog, select the
"Finger" tab, and uncheck "Launch via rocker
key".

I was totally lost with these instructions at first, too. WHAT Tools->Settings?? The secret is to go into another application that uses the STYLUS keyboard and then hit the menu button. THAT menu has "Tools" and "Settings" on it.

Last edited by qole; 2007-11-30 at 00:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: