Does keeping the phone in 2G (with the 2G-3G switcher widget) actually make my N900 use less battery than just letting it connect to 3G? Or does it just feel like it does?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Here with 3g phone last for a few hours, with 2g several days with little use. The feeling is mutual here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I would say: it depends.

I 'feel' no much difference between 2G (only) and 3G (only). In case no data connection is used. With data connection on 3G it drains heavy.

Above counts for areas with good 3G network.

Having the mode on 2G/3G and let the device switch automatically also uses more power. Especially when the 3G coverage is not as good aas it should be.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
From experience I have no exact figures.
I find 2G only gives slightly better battery life than 3G only, this is over a long period of time locked in standby, on an N900 that uses no data.

I feel there is little benefit during day to day usage.
Dual uses considerably more power, so my device generally lives in 2G only. Switching to 3G if I need data on a rare occasion.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
At my city, 3G spends about 50% more than 2G (I don't have the exact number but I calculated several time ago during many days). But I guess it depends how extended is 3G signal. I guess there are places with stronger 3G signal where that overconsumption should be rather less. So, my advice is to directly test it at yours.

The Following User Says Thank You to antviro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
it has to do with the protocol, 2G TDMA is wasteful of spectrum but requires less control and narrower audio bandwidth, CDMA(3g) is a wider and thus richer sounding signal, requiring more total transmitter power for the same range. It is probably not a massive difference while on standby waiting for a call(haven't looked at the signal and ping frequency) but there is a big difference once you have a call established.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
3g is a serious battrey hog if not close to base
been using 3g for a few months on n900 standby is ok it is the websurfing that eats the battrey and if 3G Is weak and you do 3g+hotspot then........game-over

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
forgot to say i didnt mention device usage times as its highly subjective as i do fine with a 1500 mah for a day and a backup if needed also i use bluetooth to teather wifi hotspot only on big downloads also bluetooth is the easiest+battrey freindly way both on windows and linux it can be natively done

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post: