Hi, does anyone have any experiences in using UBiQUiO Folding Bluetooth Keyboard with Skype Functions with N800? I was thinking of getting one myself, but wasnt sure about it's compatibility. Btw, how useful exactly is a BTKB is in N800? Are we able to fully control all of its functions?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
A different approach to Bluetooth keyboards: When on the move, in the office or such I don't need any extra keyboard for my N800. But at home sometimes it would be nice, really nice actually.
So I don't need some fancy foldable keyboard, but a regular desktopsize one would totally suffice, but I only managed to find the apple one (nice, but over the top, and not really international). Also, could there be some PS/2 - Bluetooth adapter on the market?

A question to those who already have an extra keyboard in use: Do any screen-keyboard pop up, or can I type right into textfields, without anything obscuring the screen (i.e. tap or tip keyboards).

Still something else: What's with the "HID" (human interface device?), I just don't manage to find the right info of what that does or needs in terms of hardware.

Id also like a list of known working keyboards also.. id lik a folding one but a complete list would be great.

There are lots of very informed threads about keyboards here at this forum, just use the search function. It's all been explained and detailed really.

@Gilbert:
When an external keyboard is in use there's no on-screen keyboard (except for a bug in the microb browser, now fixed I believe).

The HID keyboards are usually easier to set up, as they interface directly with the N800 out of the box. Example: Stowaway keyboards. The serial keyboards usually need an extra driver and setup, provided by an ITT member (link can be found as soon as you start searching for those threads). Example: Freedom keyboards.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
A different approach to Bluetooth keyboards: When on the move, in the office or such I don't need any extra keyboard for my N800. But at home sometimes it would be nice, really nice actually.
So I don't need some fancy foldable keyboard, but a regular desktopsize one would totally suffice, but I only managed to find the apple one (nice, but over the top, and not really international). Also, could there be some PS/2 - Bluetooth adapter on the market?

A question to those who already have an extra keyboard in use: Do any screen-keyboard pop up, or can I type right into textfields, without anything obscuring the screen (i.e. tap or tip keyboards).

Still something else: What's with the "HID" (human interface device?), I just don't manage to find the right info of what that does or needs in terms of hardware.
This one is very nice: http://www.apple.com/keyboard/ (I mean the bluetooth version). I've already touched (and measured) the cable version, and if both pictures are taken from the same perspective then the size of the bluetooth version is approx. 233mm x 108mm. It will be available in a few weeks, and as discussed elsewhere in this forum chances are high that it conforms to HID and will work out of the box with the n800. Not fancy, but very solid and even beautiful.

Originally Posted by gammer View Post
This one is very nice: http://www.apple.com/keyboard/ (I mean the bluetooth version).
Beautiful, really! And a keyboard-tablet could really suit the internet-tablet, designwise Unfortunately no international versions. And troubling me are the always existant "requirements" of a Mac OSx, on any apple stuff. Nagging, really.

An alternative to the Apple BT keyboard with a similar concept is the Logitech diNovo Edge. It's Bluetooth, thin, sleek, and black (as opposed to white).

For my n800, I actually use the Stowaway Ultraslim Keyboard a lot of people on here use. But the Logitech would work just as well.

As for the UBiQUiO (gawd I hate the lowercase i's), it appears to closely resemble this other Stowaway keyboard. IIRC, it's referred to as the Stowaway Sonoma and you have to do some fancy stuff with kbdd to get it to work (search these forums).

Question to you all:
Has anybody found a way to input ASCII characters/symbols when your BT keyboard is active? Since the onscreen keyboard goes away during BT keyboard usage, I have no idea how to access said symbols.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
Originally Posted by calador View Post
For my n800, I actually use the Stowaway Ultraslim Keyboard a lot of people on here use.
my stowaway ultraslim j, k, l, - and = keys stopped working today. I searched around and found this thread. I've disassembled and believe I've identified the problem, clearly a design flaw. the two keyboard halves are essentially one piece of plastic connected by a ribbon cable, which has to slide when the unit is opened/closed. eventually it will stick, and then eventually the connections will begin to break. I even came up with a design for some plastic guides which would keep the problem from happening, but mine is too far gone to help it. This is after 2 months use; sure its still under warranty, but from where I live returning is a bit of a pain.

my recommendation on the stowaway ultraslim is now a definite "do not buy".

rob.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
Beautiful, really! And a keyboard-tablet could really suit the internet-tablet, designwise Unfortunately no international versions. And troubling me are the always existant "requirements" of a Mac OSx, on any apple stuff. Nagging, really.
At least a german version will be available immediately, as I was told from the local apple shop gravis here in Berlin. The requirements are probably for proper actions of the special keys only. For the 770/800 they can be remapped. 3...4 weeks then we'll know more.

Last edited by gammer; 2007-09-19 at 21:05.

Ok, thanks gammer for the infos, greetings from Vienna

Still, one thing bugs me. Doesn't anyone know of a PS/2 to bluetooth adapter (or child USB to bluetooth, for USB keyboards)? So I can plug in any common keyboard into it, and it connects (to the IT) via bluetooth? I just can't imagine there's no such thing, but haven't found anything yet...

Last edited by Gilbert; 2007-09-19 at 21:22.