PDA

View Full Version : Evernote for N8x0?

Karel Jansens
2007-10-01, 22:58
Has anyone on this forum (besides me that is) used Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/en/) on a tablet and thought: Dang! that would be a nice thing to have on my N800? I would so pay for that!

tso
2007-10-01, 23:10
could be interesting, but i would think that a working "inking" system would be nice to have first. loved that diagram function ;)

zerojay
2007-10-01, 23:21
Looks a little interesting, but not something I'd pay for.

geneven
2007-10-01, 23:27
I played around with it for a bit and did indeed think that the thing that would make maemopad+ usable as a note-taker would be an infinitely long page like what Evernote has, if I recall correctly.

Karel Jansens
2007-10-02, 13:45
I played around with it for a bit and did indeed think that the thing that would make maemopad+ usable as a note-taker would be an infinitely long page like what Evernote has, if I recall correctly.

Yep. It's basically Newton's Notepad On Steroids, with Stationary an'all! The paid-for version comes with (RitePen, I believe) handwriting recognition, but as I already have PenOffice on my big tablet, I decided to go moocher. :o

Another feature Evernote "borrowed" from the Newton (and Maemopad+ didn't), is the automatic saving: When you start a new note, it is automatically and continuously saved, conscious user file interaction is only needed for deletion. Nice...

basco
2007-10-02, 17:59
I only took a quick look but is it for the N800.

Karel Jansens
2007-10-02, 18:01
I only took a quick look but is it for the N800.

If you mean: "Will it run on the N800?", then: "No".

But if you mean: "Should it be ported to the N800?", then: "You bet your sweet Fanny Adams it should".

tso
2007-10-02, 18:25
hmm, or someone build something similar.

i can see it be done, and if one allow the device to be held vertical, one can use the zoom buttons to "scroll".

ysss
2007-10-02, 18:30
I use it full time on my Thinkpad x60 tablet. It's awesome.
Although N800 is probably too small for my style of active notetaking, I wouldn't mind being able to view\share\sync my notes between the two.

Karel Jansens
2007-10-02, 19:08
I use it full time on my Thinkpad x60 tablet. It's awesome.
Although N800 is probably too small for my style of active notetaking, I wouldn't mind being able to view\share\sync my notes between the two.

I agree that the UI would need some conscientious tweaking for smaller tablets (less clutter, more tabs for various options,...), but I believe it would not fare disadvantageously on the N-ITs.

ysss
2007-10-02, 19:29
I agree that the UI would need some conscientious tweaking for smaller tablets (less clutter, more tabs for various options,...), but I believe it would not fare disadvantageously on the N-ITs.

Yep. Those with regular class-type notetaking will definitely benefit from having an Evernote type program + bluetooth keyboard.

Personally, I wish for a good file viewer (Picsel Viewer, please!) before "another" note taker though :)

There's just a good amount of office files that I get from email, IM or web (corporate intranets) that the N800 cannot process elegantly. Namely formatted Word docs and powerpoint.

fatdat888
2008-05-30, 16:43
I just got a beta invite to Evernote Web today and I started playing around with it. I gotta say, this is awesome!

I haven't played with all their features yet but what I did so far was use my N800 in camera mode to take a picture of a business card. Then e-mail that picture to my designated Evernote email address and now it's stored in my Evernote account. What's exciting is that you can use the evernote search tool to search for text within the image to retrieve the information you want.

You probably can tell I'm pretty excited about the service since I can now sync my pics and notes that I've collected on the tablet to one location and have it organized without doing much.

Btw, anyone interested I have some invites available so either post or PM me.

scottyb159
2008-05-30, 19:22
the tablet camera was good enough for a business card? My 2mp htc touch wasnt even clear enough for a solid pic of a business card. The new evernote is fantastic and works across all platforms

lm2
2008-05-30, 19:43
I just wish it would extract and spit out text from pics and Xournal pdfs. That would be something.

fatdat888
2008-05-30, 20:54
the tablet camera was good enough for a business card? My 2mp htc touch wasnt even clear enough for a solid pic of a business card. The new evernote is fantastic and works across all platforms

I went back and test the text on the business card. It got most of the text search correctly. But when I typed in the phone number it didn't get that right. Not sure if it's the quality of the picture or image recognition software their using.

geneven
2008-06-02, 09:26
My experience with Evernote on the N800 is that it completely didn't work for me, meaning that I couldn't run the program at all. I'll have to give it another try. Sure, I could send email to the evernote program, but that's about it, and that isn't enough.

fatdat888
2008-06-03, 16:59
My experience with Evernote on the N800 is that it completely didn't work for me, meaning that I couldn't run the program at all. I'll have to give it another try. Sure, I could send email to the evernote program, but that's about it, and that isn't enough.

Yep. I ran into that too. But Evernote Web is still in Beta so I kinda expected something might not work. I suspect it has something to do with their support of Firefox 3...well...not being supported yet. If you try to browse with Firefox 3 that same warning page also appears.

I sent my feedback about the issue. I hope you send them an e-mail too so they at least know their is a community that is interested in using their product.

maillaxa
2008-06-03, 17:59
Btw, anyone interested I have some invites available so either post or PM me.

I am interested. Would you min inviting me ?

jonathandueck
2008-06-04, 17:44
I too think an offline-capable version of evernote -- especially with capability to link up with Xournal, say, for online HWR -- for the N800 would be awesome.

But then I think the Newton OS on a device like the N800 would be even more awesome (Einstein! but it doesn't sync...).

-Jon

Karel Jansens
2008-06-04, 18:41
I too think an offline-capable version of evernote -- especially with capability to link up with Xournal, say, for online HWR -- for the N800 would be awesome.

But then I think the Newton OS on a device like the N800 would be even more awesome (Einstein! but it doesn't sync...).

-Jon

Synchronisation tools (and file compatibility with the outside world) are among OpenEinstein's goals. I'm not entirely sure however if the project is even still alive...

If Xournal were to store its ink files in SVG format (or any other recognized format) (which I'm pretty certain it doesn't), you could run Xournal notes through Vision Object's MyScript Notes (http://www.visionobjects.com/products/application-software/myscript-notes/) on a pc. It's still not of much use on the tablet itself though and, other than the HWR companies' stubbornness, there's absolutely no reason why any of these programs shouldn't work on Linux.

geneven
2008-06-04, 19:25
In the meantime, there are other note services that work fine. I'd be interested in additional suggestions, too.

www.mindmeister.com is a mindmapping site that I have used quite a bit, though it really works best on a non-tablet. It has a very similar email service to the one evernote has, in addition to nice simple mindmapping.

www.bubbl.us has nice graphics and is also a mindmapping site that seems promising

www.ubernote.com is just notes and works fine.

The above are all free, though they may have premium services. Free is important to me!

Oh, and don't forget Notecase, which has a specific version for the N800 or N810. It's not web based, unfortunately, but some site that allowed me to store my notes on it + Notecase might be just as good as most things out there.

Snoshrk
2008-06-04, 20:29
Just my $.02...

My vote is for Notecase. It has completely replaced my Palm/outlook Memos.

Notecase on N8x0 OS2008 (data file on SD card)
Notecase portable f/ windows installed on same SD card (External N800) when connected to PC via USB

This way I can access my notes from my N800 or from my PC.

If I am Mobile and I need to 'Note' something I have taken to using Jott (reQall now that Jott's !Free) to send myself emails or SMS reminders. Works great so far.

As always: what works for me...;)

Matt

Benson
2008-06-04, 20:40
@KJ: About two minutes effort, and you'd have known; Xournal uses an XML format which is simpler than SVG, but SVG compatibility is on the list. It should be pretty simple to write a converter, meanwhile.

Also, if evernote (online) can do HWR from JPEG or whatever, you can always rasterize & compress a PDF, and upload that...

Karel Jansens
2008-06-04, 22:27
@KJ: About two minutes effort, and you'd have known; Xournal uses an XML format which is simpler than SVG, but SVG compatibility is on the list. It should be pretty simple to write a converter, meanwhile.

Also, if evernote (online) can do HWR from JPEG or whatever, you can always rasterize & compress a PDF, and upload that...

I think you misunderstand; I don't want to do that, none of it. I don't want to use my Itablet as a glorified paper notepad and I certainly don't want to depend on a pc to turn my notes into text.

But, if someone were to be so inclined, I'm sure they'd appreciate your suggestions.

Benson
2008-06-04, 22:35
''You'', in the generic reader sense. The only ''you'' referring to you was the one who'd have known with two minutes effort. (To me, if it's worth the trouble to post disparagingly about a presumed non-standard format, it's worth up to five minutes to try to dig up the dirt on that format; if you can't find it, then you can at least grouch that it's not documented anyplace accessible...)

I understand you don't, though I would point out that you could use the tablet for writing grouches, gripes, and complaints about Nokia. Doesn't that sound just a little tempting? ;)

Karel Jansens
2008-06-04, 23:07
I understand you don't, though I would point out that you could use the tablet for writing grouches, gripes, and complaints about Nokia. Doesn't that sound just a little tempting? ;)
I'd much rather dig out my Newton for that. Seems to make so much more sense...

Benson
2008-06-05, 14:13
Well, I'd use the Newton for complaints about His Project-Killing Jobsn*ss, and the Nokias for complaints about Nokia... keep the pain fresh in your mind.

FGol
2008-06-05, 14:46
In the meantime, there are other note services that work fine. I'd be interested in additional suggestions, too.

www.mindmeister.com is a mindmapping site that I have used quite a bit, though it really works best on a non-tablet. It has a very similar email service to the one evernote has, in addition to nice simple mindmapping.

www.bubbl.us has nice graphics and is also a mindmapping site that seems promising

www.ubernote.com is just notes and works fine.

The above are all free, though they may have premium services. Free is important to me!

Oh, and don't forget Notecase, which has a specific version for the N800 or N810. It's not web based, unfortunately, but some site that allowed me to store my notes on it + Notecase might be just as good as most things out there.

Thanks for several of these suggestions; I'm going to look into them and Notecase,

I am in the Evernote beta but a server based solution seems out of the question for work related data. I doubt the security people would like me to store confidential data on a 3rd party server.

Tiddlywiki (http://www.tiddlywiki.com/)might be the answer for me. It works on any PC platform and the IT. I haven't figured a good way to document outstanding To Do's in it like Evernote.

Frank

Karel Jansens
2008-06-05, 15:23
Well, I'd use the Newton for complaints about His Project-Killing Jobsn*ss, and the Nokias for complaints about Nokia... keep the pain fresh in your mind.

BTDTASTOeB.

(Been There, Done That, Already Sold the T-shirt On eBay)

I hate Jobs even more than Microsoft. Nokia I just mildly dislike. Also, writing or typing on the Itablets is really hard, so the second part of your idea... not good.

(I'm watching old episodes of "Becker" these days. Never knew how much we have in common)

Benson
2008-06-05, 15:40
Me neither; wtbleep is "Becker (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174378/)"? Did I inadvertently quote him?

Karel Jansens
2008-06-05, 15:58
Me neither; wtbleep is "Becker (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174378/)"? Did I inadvertently quote him?
I figured it would be obvious. Me old fart --> Becker. Of course I'm no MD, so I can't vent my frustrations through medical malpractice.

ARJWright
2008-06-05, 15:58
Instead of seeing a dedicated Evernote module, I'd be up for some integration with Evernote and Xournal. No need ot duplicate efforts. The web aspect of Evernote is what attracted me to the beta, but its not something I've used in a while. If it could get that intergration, then I'd like it.

dont
2008-06-06, 01:22
Tiddlywiki (http://www.tiddlywiki.com/)might be the answer for me. It works on any PC platform and the IT.

Are you saying that Tiddlywiki now works locally on the IT without a server?

Added: I just tried it on my N800 and when I try to save the tiddlywiki I get asked repeatedly (maybe 8-10 times to confirm that I trust the tiddlywiki file. So, I would say that it works without a server, but is unusable.

maxilogan
2008-06-06, 02:19

Added: I just tried it on my N800 and when I try to save the tiddlywiki I get asked repeatedly (maybe 8-10 times to confirm that I trust the tiddlywiki file. So, I would say that it works without a server, but is unusable.

The "standard" tiddlywiki installation is just one file which is being modified as long as you modify the wiki. It was never meant to be used with a server, except for the customizations (some of them are around the web), especially the ones which make tiddlywiki work like a hostable wiki, and not as a single html file

dont
2008-06-06, 03:45
The "standard" tiddlywiki installation is just one file which is being modified as long as you modify the wiki. It was never meant to be used with a server, except for the customizations (some of them are around the web), especially the ones which make tiddlywiki work like a hostable wiki, and not as a single html file

Understood, but I think that the ability to save to a local file requires a java applet for browsers that won't allow you to save locally. Firefox, I believe, lets you say that Tiddlywiki is a trusted page and you don't have to tell it repeatedly every time it tries to save to a local file. MicroB does not seem to handle trusted pages in the same way, nor can you install the Java applet. About a year ago somebody implemented a local server + some PHP code to achieve the same effect.

As far as I can tell, you still cannot usefully run Tiddiwiki locally on a tablet.

Has anybody managed to get MicroB to run Tiddlywiki saving to a local file without an inordinate number of dialog boxes?

If so, then how? Maybe there is a way to configure MicroB to be a bit less pedantic about saving files securely?

iamthewalrus
2008-06-06, 08:30
Maybe I'm paranoid but I dislike the idea of webapps datamining my stuff, even though they look cool and well made. And why is it whenever a technie makes a 'presentation video' it is with with these funny voices? I can hardly listen to what the guy in the intro video is saying without trying to impersonate him.

FGol
2008-06-06, 14:21

Cripes.. yeah that save thing is a pain.

Frank

Karel Jansens
2008-06-06, 21:53
It's not that I want to breed false hopes or anything, but I've been in a quite interesting email conversation with someone from EverNote Corp. recently.

I was told that they're actually looking into the feasibility of porting their product(s) to Linux. Only ritePen itself (the HWR program they claim is the direct descendant of Newton's magic) was mentioned, not EverNote, and if the port happens (a huge, planetary-sized "if" ATM) it'll probably only be for X86 Linux (although ARM was never excluded in so many words) and cost money, so don't start the party yet.

But still... Eh?

Bluebirds over Dover, rainbows, happy kittens and all that stuff.

Laughing Man
2008-10-09, 02:00
Evernote recently opened up their API, so someone could integrate it with a note program.

http://evernote.com/about/developer/api/

Nyrath
2008-10-09, 17:04
It would be nice to have something on the NIT. The last time I asked Evernote about that, they suggested I use the cell phone web interface.

prk60091
2009-01-15, 20:26
with google probably shutting down google notebook i started to investigate evernote and found this thread.
it seems evernote uses IMAP and has complete instructions on the web site
reproduced below to configure your mail client to access evernote- now evernote is as close as modest/claws.

>Overview
The Evernote Mobile and iPhone clients require access to the web for note viewing. IMAP can be used by those with mobile devices to access their notes on an offline basis.

Evernote can communicate with mobile devices by using the IMAP4 protocol. Most of these devices come with a mail client that is IMAP compliant, but you may use any IMAP capable mobile e-mail application,such as Flexmail for Windows Mobile devices and Snappermail for Treos.

Mail Server Settings
Most of these devices are very similar in setup once you obtain the settings information. The following is the basic information you will need to configure your smartphone to view your Evernote notebooks via IMAP.

Incoming Mail Server (IMAP):
Host Name: www.evernote.com
User name: your Evernote user name (not your email address)
Password: your Evernote password
Port: 143 (or 993 for SSL)
Address or Email Address: Enter your Evernote incoming email address (To find your Evernote e-mail address for incoming mail, login to www.evernote.com and click the Settings link.)

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): Use the same SMTP settings as the other accounts on your mobile device. Please contact your service provider for specific settings.

Example of iPhone 2.0 settings

Name: Your name should be entered here. (not critical)
Description: How you would like your account to appear on your device. (not critical)

Advanced Settings
Most of the other settings you may leave as default and not change, but the following are some suggestions for best performance.

Use SSL: Should be set to no or off. (You may set this to on or yes, if configured properly above.)
Check for messages: Set for every hour or every day. Checking more often will greatly reduce battery life.
Show: Show as few messages as you can, this will greatly speed up your connection times. This may be a setting like 25 recent messages, or last 2 days.
Preview: If allowed to, get full message body. Setting for "message headers only" will only grab subject and sender information, and the smallest amount of message text, which will only allow you to view messages offline that you have viewed previously.

Handset Specific Setup
Here is a quick guide on where to find the mail settings for some popular handset types:

Blackberry (BIS): Click on the Manage Internet Email icon on the home screen. Choose Email Accounts then Add An Email Account.
Blackberry (BES): Contact your IT Administrator for assistance.
iPhone (1.4 software or earlier): Touch the Settings icon on the Home screen, select Mail and select Add Account. Select Other.
iPhone (2.0 software or higher): Touch the Settings icon on the Home screen, select Mail, Contacts, Calendars and select Add Account. Select Other.
Palm: Open VersaMail. Tap the top left to get the menu. Tap Accounts. Tap Account Setup. Tap New.
Windows Mobile 5 (or higher) Phone: Select Messaging from the Start menu. From Menu, select Tools→New Account.

IMAP4 vs. POP3
Evernote is available for mobile access via IMAP4 or POP3. By using IMAP, you will always have a current snapshot of your notebooks, whereas with POP access you may see notes that are out of date. With IMAP and POP, you can make changes to your notes and then email them back to your Evernote email address to be reflected online. However, if your mobile device does not support IMAP, you may be able to configure it to retrieve your notes via POP3. The settings are as follows:

Host Name: www.evernote.com
User name: your Evernote user name (not your email address)
Password: your Evernote password
Port: 25

It is important to note that when using POP3, you must also configure your mobile device to "leave messages on server", or you will redownload all of your notes every time you connect to the service.

InfinityDevil
2009-03-05, 19:45
"Evernote has ended IMAP development. The IMAP service will not be enhanced or improved beyond its current state. As a result, we cannot guarantee a consistent experience across platforms and devices."

http://evernote.com/about/support/imap.php/

So much for that idea.

rickh
2009-03-06, 01:59
"Evernote has ended IMAP development. The IMAP service will not be enhanced or improved beyond its current state. As a result, we cannot guarantee a consistent experience across platforms and devices."

http://evernote.com/about/support/imap.php/

So much for that idea.
I use Evernote with IMAP support fine. What the announcement says (so far, anyway) is that development has stopped, not the actual service. Current settings should work fine.

I guess the other option would be Google Gears for offline access.

R.
==

Laughing Man
2009-03-09, 03:18
Finally got it to work, but what do you use for outgoing smtp server? Would GMAIL's work?

ctennenh
2009-07-23, 18:17
Sorry to revive an old thread.
It looks like IMAP is the only way the tablets will support offline storage of Evernote notes. Does anyone know how to store the notes on the removable mini-SD card? There's not nearly enough room on the internal memory, especially with images and PDFs as notes.

erand
2009-08-24, 17:23
this would be an amazing addition to the maemo apps if it can be done.

frisket
2010-04-28, 09:43
Has anyone on this forum (besides me that is) used Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/en/) on a tablet and thought: Dang! that would be a nice thing to have on my N800? I would so pay for that!

Yesss. I've been using it on my HTC Hero, but having it on the N800 would be excellent.