PDA

View Full Version : Mac Airpoert problems

Tadeyev
2006-01-10, 22:45
Hello all,
As a newbie, I have searched and solved a number of problems with my spanking new 770, but really need Mac help from anyone who is willing!
It works fine with Nokia 6630, but will not work with Macintosh Airport.

I have doen the workaround with the HEX WEP password (40 bit) and have set the IP addresses by hand, with and without proxies...The Airport is seen and registered by nthe 770, information gets transferred (evidently) but each time it says 'problems connecting to internet' :eek: and nothign happens...I think I am close, but need help from the experts! :cool:

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tadeyev

Tadeyev
2006-01-11, 10:20
After staying up half the night, the problem got solved by finding a bug, and I thought it might to good to post the result here for any Mac users with Airport like myself.

-Use HEX password (this can be found in Mac Airport Utilities menu bar) and set WEP to 40 (64) bits.
-Enter primary and secondary DNS
-Check "Auto retrieve IP adddress"

The bug I came across was this:
-The SSID will automatically be a copy of the Network Name. CHANGE the SSID to something else;
-Fill in the abovementioned info;
-Save and close;
-Now try to connect
-Interestingly, instead of the 100th time 'connection problem' being shown you will receive a dialog window with the SSID NAME CHANGED BACK to the Network name (as it was originally) and with a request to enter your WEP password. You have already done it, but enter it again (don't forget tp choose 40 HEX first).

For some bizarre reason, the connection will now work perfectly. :D
By the way, I am running OX Tiger and the 770 is the latest software version December 2005.
Good luck!
Tadeyev

michaelalanjones
2006-01-11, 13:19
Just so you know, it is a Graphite (the old, original Airport). I have it connected to a Westell DSL modem, and the DHCP is turned on.

I have done it both ways, a) assigning an IP address to the 770, and b) letting it get its own IP address, and both worked fine. Two things that you have to be sure of here:
1. You must put in the correct WEP password. It will connect, and the 770 will see the Airport network, but will act flaky if the password is wrong, and this is the same thing that a PC does - it shows the connection, like you are ok, but won't transfer data.

Also, on this, a friend of mine was running a LinkSys router, and they won't allow a 40-bit or 128-bit WEP password. I had to switch him to something like WEP Shared, which the 770 will do, and the PC will do, and then he was ok. He was trying a 64-bit WEP on the LinkSys, and a 40-bit WEP on the 770, to no avail.

2. If assigning an IP address manually, you must also assign the DNS servers - easy to overlook. Once again, it will connect and you will think it is working, but no data wil come through. You will get these DNS server settings from within MacOSX's Airport Admin Utility. Whatever is there, and works, needs to be in the 770. Also, if you did not know, the gateway in that case, is the Airport, so the Gateway address is the IP address of the Airport.

Hope this helps someone.