PDA

View Full Version : t-mobile data service help

NokNok770
2006-01-11, 17:04
Can anyone with t-mobile service help me.

I use to have t-zone free (1meg) but I was able to configure my laptop to use free internet with my nokia 6600 and bluetooth. I changed my plan recently to family plan and I think I lost the t-zone option because I can't get my nokia 770 internet connection.

I configure nokia to dial *99#
access point: wap.voicestream.com also tried internet2.voicestream.com, and internet3.voicestream.com eveything else default.

I'm able to connect to wap.voicestream.com but no internet...I guess it's for wap only.

What's the minimum I have to have to use the 770 with t-mobile. Do I have to sign up for a data plan?

Can someone with t-mobile give me their configuration...and what data plan you have.

cis4life
2006-01-11, 17:40
You will have to have the data plan. Tmobile tighten up on what accounts access what servers. You have to have the Unlimited Data Plan to access internet2 or internet3

Once you have these, just set your phone to internet2 setting and pair it up.

I have tmobile with the data plan and it works great for me.

wendo
2006-01-11, 20:17
cis4life, can you do a tutorial on how you set up your T-mobile phone and 770 to access the internet via T-mobile's unlimited data plan? I'm sure many people, besides myself :), would find it useful.

thoughtfix
2006-01-11, 20:47
I considered the data plan since my T-mo plan doesn't run out until August - but why would I pay so much money to surf along at GPRS speeds?
The T-Mobile internet plan, as per http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet

$49.99/mo, NO included minutes, $0.20 per minute outgoing and incoming, 300 text messages/mo (that's for both incoming and outgoing)

In my experience with my iPaq h6315 phone and T-Mobile's Internet plan, GPRS data with T-Mobile came across at about 58 kbits per second. The InternetTabletTalk main page is about 50 kbytes in source and another 480 kbytes in images, scripts, etc.

So with load time + rendering time... Expect it to take about a minute and 15 seconds to load the internettablettalk main page over a T-Mobile GPRS connection.

/me waits for edge...

esuen
2006-01-11, 21:13
Hi,

I use T-mobile also and I use to able to get on internet thru GPRS via bluetooth on my PDA using my unlimited T-zone plan($4.99). I just changed my family plan and switch to the $5.99 T-mobileWeb add-on and now neither my PDA nor my 770 is able to connect.

I remember they used to have a $19.99 internet plan that we can sign up online. Now that option is gone. $49.99 seems a high price to pay. I wonder if anyone knows if the $19.99 plan still avaliable and can we get GPRS with that plan.

Eric

tnkgrl
2006-01-11, 21:43
*NokNok770*, if you have the $5 unlimited t-zones (like me), you have to set the number to *99# and set the AP to wap.voicestream.com (you already know that) - POP3 and SMTP access will work at this point, but HTTP and SSL access will require you to use a proxy server... Fortunately T-Mobile provides a proxy server! The address is 216.155.165.50 & the port is 8080 - good luck!

esuen
2006-01-11, 21:46
tnkgrl,

so where do I put in the proxy server IP address and the port #?

Eric

tnkgrl
2006-01-11, 21:49
Eric, tap the advanced button on the last screen of the GPRS configuration.

esuen
2006-01-11, 22:01
tnkgrl

Awesome.. it's working. Thanks.... :)

Eric

thoughtfix
2006-01-11, 22:28
Esuen and TnkGrl: What are the speed and rendering times like lately? It may be worthwhile for me to add it to my plan if it's only $6/mo. I haven't used the GPRS connection in ... about 8 months

NokNok770
2006-01-11, 22:36
tnkgrl

Unfortunately I don't have the t-zone option anymore since my plan changed so probably why it didn't work..even after the proxy settings. They don't do the $5 unlimited t-zone anymore, but they do have the 5.99 t-mobileWEB. Is that the same thing as the t-zone plan? I don't want to get it and it not work. I knew I should have kept my other plan...it was practically free.

thoughtfix...you don't have to pay the $20 dollar plan to get internet through tmobile gprs....even though you were told that by t-mobile customer service...they are dumb. It use to be you can get gprs data connection for the cost of t-zone plan...5 dollars and I got the free t-zone once. Now it looks like it's going to cost 5.99 for tmobileWeb...but still better than the people are dumb enough to pay t-mobile 20 for tmobile internet plan. The speed of gprs data connection is about 56kbps

tnkgrl
2006-01-11, 22:45
My primary phone (Sony Ericsson W800i) is GPRS, not EDGE, and I rarely get more than 40-50 kbps... My secondary phone (Motorola E815) is EVDO, and I typically get 300-400 kbps (without requiring a proxy)! I'm in San Francisco.

tnkgrl
2006-01-11, 22:47
*NokNok770*, I don't know if the unlimited t-zones is the same as the t-mobileWEB. Take a look at the HowardForums - the answer may be there.

esuen
2006-01-11, 22:49
i am thinking the speed is close to 56K. Google home page pop right up and i tried orbitz.com and the homepage takes around 20 sec to show up and 30-40 sec to finish up the graphics...

I don't have EDGE either. Only a few market for T-mobile support EDGE anyway..

esuen
2006-01-11, 22:52
oh.. forget to put in my last post.. I am using Motorola V3i GPRS.. and I am in Indianapolis area..

penguinbait
2006-02-01, 15:54
I purchased a phone with tzones, and I could not get it to work. My own lack of knowledge on that one. I then ran across this thread and setup the wap.vs.com and the proxy, slow as all hell but it works. The thing is this morning I called and had the data plan added and the tzones removed. But the data plan has not yet been turned on. So my question is can I just get free internet without any plan? I am able to websites through the proxy, why pay for anything. My next question is the actual data plan, does this allow me out without the proxy? It would be nice to be able to use VPN and ssh? Does anyone know of a version on connect or transconnect for 770 to pipe ssh through proxy?

Thanks, any help is appreciated

Broo
2006-03-15, 02:24
tnkgrl - you are my hero!

I have been searching everywhere for a way to get my 770 to use my Nokia 3650 for internet... I found your instructions, set it up and I now have wireless internet where-ever I go!

Thank you more than mortal words can express! :o)

Bruce
Atlanta, GA

trippedbreaker
2006-03-22, 07:17
Pardon me for venting folks -- I am getting so frustrated, especially when I see folks talking about how easy it is! :o)

I have a Sony-Ericsson T610 I'm trying to get working with my 770 via bluetooth. My T-mobile account is set up properly and my laptop (with a cheap no-name bluetooth adapter) and Palm Tungsten E2 both connect through the phone quickly with no problems. My 770 on the other hand has yet to see the internet through this phone and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

I've tried everything I can think of, various versions of the "phone number", the long additional AT command I've found in a few places, compression on/off, plaintext logins on/off ... I don't know any other combinations to try. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm preparing for the embarassment when it turns out to be something stupid, but that's ok, it's better than having no internet! :o)

FWIW, the T610 is listed as functional on maemo.org's BluetoothDUN compatibility chart. Also, the other bluetooth functions work just great -- I can transfer photos and other files off the phone to my 770 with no problems.

thoughtfix
2006-03-22, 07:45
T-Mo is locking down ports and access. They also turned off the $20/mo plan so now only offer the $30/mo "total internet" plan. That plan gives you unlimited internet (access point stays the same with no proxies needed) AND T-Mobile Hotspots. I will test the hotspot access on the 770 next time I make it to a Starbucks.

Yeah - I caved and paid for the extra plan. It's still cheaper than Cingular and Verizon's plan

trippedbreaker
2006-03-22, 18:56
What might be helpful in figuring this out is some kind of feedback that's more effective than "Internet connection failed. Try again?" ... Is there a relatively easy way to see log output from the attempt to connect?

I have an Xterm installed, but I don't have root yet (which feels, well, just *wrong* for a computer that I own). I guess I'll need to get root access to go any further?

ercanmetin
2006-05-02, 15:15
Hi there to all, this is the first time I'm posting anything to any forum now :)

I have Nokia 6680 Smartphone (same as 6681-6682 Us versions(s60)) I have been using the phone with T-MOBILE unlimited internet plan. Yesterday I got my Nokia 770 and I have been trying to setup 770 so it can connect to the internet using my Nokia 6680 smartphone via Bluetooth. I called T-mobile they said I have to leave blank for username and pass. and dial *99# and for the access point name I have to put
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet2voicestream.com" well I tried this but I didn't work, and I tried to edit the connection on 770 and on the advanced tab it has AT command line, so I tried that at+.... on there and it again didn't work, I have spent 6 hours on the phone with t mobile they didn't know anything to help me with. You guys are my only chance now. :) I think all I need is a working access point name i think this is only for windows devices not for Nokia 770.
Years ago I used BT phone with Sony clie PDA with tmobile service again they worked without any problem so I know there is a way to get this working but I just don't know how yet. On my phone for the access point I have internet2.voicestream.com but I don't think I have to change any settings with the phone though? since you already configure 770. Anyway If anyone can help me with this I'll apriciate that, I didn't know how to create my own thread so I'm posting on a related thread. :)

eaaronp
2006-05-02, 16:56
This seems to simple but if you have internet2voicestream.com as your acess point name it S/B internet2.voicestream.com, the lack of that dot will make a difference. If you are using the dot and you just typed it wrong in your post make sure you are using T-Mobile Internet as your connection name and Packet data as your connection type, I'm using a V3Razr and it works fine, slow but fine.

ercanmetin
2006-05-02, 17:29
I'm sorry I had a typo there, I do have the dot there. The connection name and type are also correct but I cannot connect. Internet Connection failed it says.

When I try that at+cgd ........ it says Remote Server ERROR.
I don't know what to do

eaaronp
2006-05-02, 19:04
I didn't think it would be that easy, I'm out of ideas except to verify what plan you have with T-Mobile, the plan I have is the Total Int Plan VB at $49.99, I have seen other threads indicating that this is the only current plan that allows the connection via bluetooth. Are the phone and the 770 pairing correctly?

ercanmetin
2006-05-02, 19:57
Yes they are paired, and talking to each other with no problems. I have T mobile unlimited internet plan for 19.99$ I just checked their website I didn't see any internet plan for 49.99$ they had t-zones for 19.99$ also
I will go ahead and call them again to see if that's the case. Cause I am able to connect from my laptop via USB CABLE though, but you said that's the only available plan for BLuetooth.. I might have to check back with them...
I'll let you know here.

gultig
2006-05-02, 20:25
Can you make sure that internet2 is the access point that you should be using? Take a look at the configuration settings on your phone (on a 3650 it's an app called Settings, may be different for your version), and in Connections see if you can find what your phone is set to for it's Access Point.

ercanmetin
2006-05-02, 20:56
Phone / Settings / Connection Settings (Nokia 6680)
Access Points
Connection name: T-Mobile Internet
Data Bearer: Packet Data
Access Point Name: internet2.voicestream.com
User: none
Promt Pass: No
Authentication: Normal
That's it

gultig
2006-05-03, 02:50
Hmmm. Can you use Opera / Netfront / Doris to browse the web on your phone?

ercanmetin
2006-05-03, 03:45
Yes I have the latest opera installed in my phone. And I can browse
download files, etc...

gultig
2006-05-03, 05:39
wow. This is way more complicated than it should be. I would hit howardforums in the nokia s60 and/or the tmobile usa area. If the answer isn't there, chances are it's not anywhere.

ercanmetin
2006-05-03, 13:40
I don't think t mobile have such info anywhere
I have been talking with them on the phone like forever
but they don't even know the device (770) they have been connecting me all kinds of departments... So I thought maybe writing to a forum would have someone that experienced the problem and could help me :)
Some of us are much more experienced then the best expert in t mobile :)

ercanmetin
2006-05-04, 13:50
I have installed the Latest update (from nokia europe) and it just connected thru, internet2.voicestream.com
and nothing else needed it is connected and I was waiting for a very slow connection thru cellular network, but I'm really impressed with the speed... Thanks for all your help...