PDA

View Full Version : Uses for students/young people

Jakoavain
2006-01-13, 07:01
Nokia 770 is a cool gadget. But, is it really useful for people, other than IT managers etc.? I'm a student, and live on limited income. But I love technology and gadgets. The 770 looks like a great device, and I have the urge to buy one. But of course, the market is filled with other great devices. So, the main question is: What uses does a 770 have for a young student like me? I know ScummVM is a must for an adventure game fan like me, but spending 369 euros for a portable LucasArts gaming machine is too much..

Robette
2006-01-13, 10:18
Well let's see, you've got internet and email. IRC chat to stay connected. There's a nice typing app out. Calender apps are released with more on the way, bluetooth scanning, ssh or vnc to login remotely to your home box, a movie viewer, plus who knows what else.

I like mine, but if you're not sure, then sit on your hands and wait for ver. 2. Nokia will iron out the bugs and then there'll be a slew of apps released at that point (Q4 2006).

cis4life
2006-01-13, 14:29
as metioned above, there is alot students can do with it (internet, email, online banking)

Just think of what you do online now, and now you can do it on your 770 (most things anyway)

Cassiel
2006-01-13, 15:56
Well, I'm not a student anymore, but I really wish I could use it to study Chinese on the metro. There are not any flash card programs available, are there? Anyone care to fix one up? (I sure can't..) :o

Cloud8
2006-01-13, 16:00
As a student, I find it very useful. If I ever get my usb keyboard working on it, it'll be more useful. I plan on word processing. It needs a local dictionary program, which is being worked on. Right now I connect to the internet to use reference works. Since I deal with a lot of classic texts(literature, religion, and philosophy) that are available from the gutenberg project, it's really useful as an ebook reader. So it depends what you study. If you do computer science, I'm sure you can find great stuff to do with it. If you do art, maybe not so much.

faiyaz
2006-01-13, 16:31
is there a good note taking app available? not a text editor but one that i can write and sketch freehand ? doesnt necessarily have to have hand writing recognition....

Hedgecore
2006-01-13, 16:38
Cassiel: None that I've seen, but with Chinest font support you could use AbiWord to view teaching docs. Otherwise your closest bet is Mahjongg ;)

bigboote
2006-01-13, 17:04
Well, I'm not a student anymore, but I really wish I could use it to study Chinese on the metro. There are not any flash card programs available, are there? Anyone care to fix one up? (I sure can't..) :o

Up and coming, but not ready yet:
Granule flashcard program
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip#head-a2b17760e2a1fc26b811fb525f96eb5d4e485115

Last update was Nov 27. Give em a goose.

Cassiel
2006-01-13, 17:13
Thank's a lot! Thought I had looked there. :)

bigboote
2006-01-13, 17:14
is there a good note taking app available? not a text editor but one that i can write and sketch freehand ? doesnt necessarily have to have hand writing recognition....
I've wondered about this too. If I were a student again, a must for me would be a tablet PC for note-taking.

This "app in progress" looks promising.

Horizon:
"Fullscreen scribbling and sketching application. Extendable canvas, zoom, multilevel undo."

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip#head-e48033eeda87d6905d5b377997a8405f68685263

John

bigboote
2006-01-13, 17:28
Thank's a lot! Thought I had looked there. :)

You're welcome.

This was from the "work In Progress" page:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalogWip

More mature apps can be found at the "Application Catalog"
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog

Items are added sporadically, so I check for updates every few days.

And, I'd point out that app development and porting for the 770 is a two-way process: if you want something ported, make the developers aware of your idea (they might not know how cool their app would be running on the 770!). If something's not being ported fast enough, let the dev know (nicely) that you're anxiously awaiting the fruits of their labor!

J

faiyaz
2006-01-14, 03:30
john

thanks horizon looks promising...

Supergeek
2006-01-14, 04:10
I tried horizon; it saved a boatload of .png files to my MMC.

Fortunately, my 1gb MMC arrived today :)
Now I have 100mb of ebooks on it as well.