PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday might be the day...

Reggie
2007-10-14, 20:35
Hold on to your seats as Nokia might be launching something (hopefully the 3rd gen tablet) at Web 2.0 Summit happening from October 17 to 19 at San Francisco. Several (here, here, and here) have blogged about the event already. The big clue is on the Wednesday evening schedule of the event:Nokia is the main host for the Progressive Suite Party in the Sunset Court which kicks off directly after dinner on the first day. Nokia will also be hosting a stylish party in the adjacent Twin Peaks room, which will showcase their next generation of Web 2.0 offerings, launched earlier that afternoon.Thanks to WOM World, Internet Tablet Talk will be there to cover the event so expect tons of pics in the gallery.Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2007/10/14/wednesday-might-be-the-day/)

sachin007
2007-10-14, 20:38
Yeah i was reading a comment in the endgadget mobile site saying that nokia is going to announce a new linux powered phone in the web 2.0 summit which has been heavily funded by nokia..... in fact nokia funded the summit more than google and microsoft!!!!
So i am pretty sure somthing big is gonna happen..... lets see

thoughtfix
2007-10-14, 23:35
That or some major overhaul and launch of Ovi ...

Sadavyk
2007-10-15, 00:39
if that happen i will be the most happest man on earth and a few dollars short after it hit stores

thoughtfix
2007-10-15, 01:47
Watch my jaiku and you'll all know as soon as I do.

Mattox
2007-10-15, 03:30
Jaiku rocks :) good to see you on there thoughtfix.

Hedgecore
2007-10-15, 14:39
I just might have to pick up an n800 so I can join the legions of people griping about how Nokia will (most likely) drop all support for the n800 the second the n810 comes out. :D

Also. Hi again!

zerojay
2007-10-15, 14:44
They aren't. They told us that we'll be still seeing new firmware releases for at least two major versions (Chinook + Diablo).

Hedgecore
2007-10-15, 14:59
Well, in the meantime, if you change the # at the end of the following URL you get to different pages on Nokia's euro site (where it'll probably be released first).

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_118973

Have fun trying to hit the lottery ;)

Texrat
2007-10-15, 15:09
I think Hedgie was being facetious, zero. :p

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 15:19
I'm disgusted. Why does Wednesday have to be the day? Nokia seems totally biased against Monday being the day. Monday has so many obvious advantages. Biggest of which is that we'd know already and wouldn't have to wait until Wednesday. I shall write to my MP to complain.

Texrat
2007-10-15, 15:25
"Monday blows"

-Garfield the cat.

Greyghost
2007-10-15, 15:26
Indeed, I agree, this is just another example of how Nokia is failing us. I mean, scheduling the release on a Wednesday instead of today is the height of insensitivity.

Consequently I shall wait at least a day to register my protest before purchasing my N810. That should send shockwaves thru the system!

Texrat
2007-10-15, 15:28
Suck it up, bunkies! :p

Oops... back to sensitivity training...

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 15:30
Someone check Texrat's browser agent string. He might be letting things leak without us realising ;) I heard he's a cruel, cruel man.

Texrat
2007-10-15, 15:32
O shi-- :eek:

*scrambles to install Proxy Tool from Hell*

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 15:35
Hehe. Someone got caught that way the other day :)
http://www.mulliner.org/blog/blosxom.cgi/n770/rx44inmyweblog.html

Texrat
2007-10-15, 15:37
Wasn't me! I didn't even download those versions!

Greyghost
2007-10-15, 15:37
Someone check Texrat's browser agent string. He might be letting things leak without us realising ;) I heard he's a cruel, cruel man.

You mean TR already has one? I might have to drive to Dallas!:D

Texrat
2007-10-15, 15:45
I'm working from home today, so you won't find me. :p

Greyghost
2007-10-15, 15:54
I'm working from home today, so you won't find me. :p

Arrrgh! Ye be cruel indeed!

A serious aside: TR I really appreciate your comments and efforts to explain and defend the corporation in spite of the withering criticism from certain members of this forum. I hope that the inside knowledge you possess is sufficient to keep you from getting too discouraged by the critics. I still feel the same way that I did when I bought the tablet, like our new user who declared it to be the 'greatest device ever'!

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 16:01
I still feel the same way that I did when I bought the tablet, like our new user who declared it to be the 'greatest device ever'!

Yup. I feel the same way as the new guy. I had a 770 first but didn't use it much. I found it far too slow. The N800 however was a breath of fresh air. I'm looking forward to seeing what we get next. What will it be? Keyboard, gps, faster cpu, more memory, microsd slots, wimax, better camera, solid case?

There's so much they can do. It must be frustrating for Texrat knowing whatever he knows and not being able to say a thing until the official announcement. Although I do think Nokia could do the decent thing and tell us when such an announcement will take place.

sachin007
2007-10-15, 16:02
Yeah me too. I think milhouse was fooled with the eyecandy. If he were given the iphone to use for one day... he would have exhausted all the possible uses in may be 1 day and then i think he would be craving for his n800.

Texrat
2007-10-15, 16:04
Although I do think Nokia could do the decent thing and tell us when such an announcement will take place.

...soon. :p

=DC=
2007-10-15, 16:08

Hmm... so it looks like it will have Firefox as the default browser this time around. Or am I just reading it wrong?

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 16:10
...soon. :p

AGHHHHH. Urge to kill rising ;)

That's what I mean. Soon could be anything from 10 minutes to weeks. In fact in corp speak it could be next year. If it's Wednesday then Nokia should just tell us. It's an Internet Tablet with possibly 2 days to go until the big reveal. It's a little late for competitors (Are there any?) to steal the thunder now. "N810 to be officially launched on Wednesday at the Web 2.0 conference". That's all it would take to make a lot of people very happy.

I wants my slidey keyboard man. I'm like a junkie in need of a tech fix.

:D

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 16:11
Hmm... so it looks like it will have Firefox as the default browser this time around. Or am I just reading it wrong?

It's possible that both are available by default or maybe whoever was browsing had it installed and active.

ysss
2007-10-15, 16:14
Yeah me too. I think milhouse was fooled with the eyecandy. If he were given the iphone to use for one day... he would have exhausted all the possible uses in may be 1 day and then i think he would be craving for his n800.

sachin007, have you ever used an iphone\ipod touch at all?

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 16:17
Could we not turn this thread into a iPhone/N800 comparison thread? Keep it for N810 drooling :)

Milhouse
2007-10-15, 16:24

Nooo.... not fooled, impressed. As to exhausting it's possibilities, you are probably right, but for many people it does what they want it to do, nothing more nothing less. And isn't that the point for a mass consumer device? To satisfy the needs of the many, and not the (insignificant) few?

If the next NIT is to go mainstream (3rd time lucky) it can't continue to satisfy only the handful of devotees that frequent this forum. :)

EDIT: Sorry Tuxedosteve!

Texrat
2007-10-15, 16:26
If the next NIT is to go mainstream (3rd time lucky) it can't continue to satisfy only the handful of devotees that frequent this forum. :)

I think we're up to two handfuls now. :p

=DC=
2007-10-15, 16:44
I think we're up to two handfuls now. :p

As long as one of those "handfuls" keeps bringing great apps like Canola to the platform, I'm all for it. ;)

Mara
2007-10-15, 16:52

Ummm... :o

But someone must test that the ITT web site works on new firmware? ;)

sachin007
2007-10-15, 17:50
Yeah for many people it does what it can. But not for us. The people thronging this forum most definitely don't come under that category. We know our technology and we take the time to research and find out new things our devices can do. For me at least functions matter a lot rather than looks. The ui may be great but is it so hard to deal with the n800 ui after a few days of use??
I mean after a few days use i could access all the functions of the n800 with equal ease as compared to that of the iphone.
It is all about attitude. You spend so much money in buying a device and you cant even use the applications you want to use. Apple has always been the big boss. I would have understood if they were giving the devices for free and asked us to stick to the inbuilt applications. But actually buying a device at such a premium and still being under the shackles of teh manufacturer is really bull ****. Even though i never had a apple product i really am frustrated that apple still calls the shots. but look at nokia.. it ever wanted to boss over thier customers. That is what i love in nokia

nosam
2007-10-15, 18:01
Back on topic for a moment:
Anyone going to this Web 2.0? I work 1 block from there. Message me if you will be in town. We can "crash" the conference. Although 9pm? Might be too late fo me.

Texrat
2007-10-15, 18:14
Thoughtfix is going. I believe Reggie (admin here) may be as well.

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 18:17
The important question we have to ask Texrat (And I know you can't answer) is that as far as a N810 goes is there any reason for them to be there? ;)

Texrat
2007-10-15, 18:30
The important question we have to ask Texrat (And I know you can't answer) is that as far as a N810 goes is there any reason for them to be there? ;)

At least GreyGhost embedded his unanswerable question in a tragically touching cat story. :p

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 18:32
I'm through playing games young man. Lives are at stake here. Now tell us what you know or the kitten gets it.

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-15, 18:32
Does anyone have a kitten?

Hedgecore
2007-10-15, 18:43
I know for a fact TexRat has one. I staked out every Taco Bell in the greater Dallas area and followed him home. He showed up like clockwork at 11:30am. And 12:45pm. And 1:30pm. But I digress. He left it sitting on his desk, right out in the open.

http://www.epiacenter.com/images/projects/sx64/1.jpg

Check out that screen size! I bet it has an internal harddrive too!

On the side, I had a kitten: http://kittenwar.com/kittens/81411/
(Now she eats 20x a day and seems to feel a sense of entitlement about everything.)

I can't believe I let this place get so boring without my ******** posts! :D

Texrat
2007-10-15, 18:58
O crap! I has been found out.

...like that slide out keyboard?

Hedgecore
2007-10-15, 19:02
At least they gave it a real cover this time :D

benny1967
2007-10-15, 19:23
http://www.epiacenter.com/images/projects/sx64/1.jpg

Check out that screen size! I bet it has an internal harddrive too!

Oh nooo! It does have a keyboard :(

Texrat
2007-10-15, 19:28
Oh nooo! It does have a keyboard :(

And a floppy drive, too!

benny1967
2007-10-15, 19:42
And a floppy drive, too!

:D Sure. Every decent computer should have one. Seems they're getting more and more expensive, though: I hardly see them in newer models. Hope this doesn't make the N810 more than €500,-

Greyghost
2007-10-15, 21:36
And a floppy drive, too!

Finally! I knew I saved all those disks for something! Does it read BASIC?

Mara
2007-10-17, 00:13

Hmmm... I think Mulliner is getting behind on his blog... :rolleyes:

Texrat
2007-10-17, 01:34
Yeah, and even Thoughtfix has to rely on anonymous link scroungers... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tuxedosteve
2007-10-17, 06:52
Well chaps. Here in the UK it's nearly 8am Wednesday morning. Now I have to undergo the torture that is "US timezones" as I wait for Nokia to get out of bed in California and prepare whatever it is they're going to announce.

Personally I can't see them waiting until the 23rd and launching at the Def Jam event but I've never launched tech so I have no idea how the corporate mind works :)