PDA

View Full Version : Asus Eee PC launched

cairn
2007-10-16, 05:23
I know it's notin quite the same class as the n800, but it does seem like it might be competitor since it is a small device marketed for mobile internet use and many consumers will be more familiar with the traditional laptop format. Check out the specs:

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/

rm -rf
2007-10-17, 03:57
I'm going to keep an eye on it. Two pounds is light enough to entice me.

xendula
2007-10-17, 05:44
I've been wanting this baby since I first heard of it. There is no purchase link, any idea how I can get my hands on one?

cairn
2007-10-17, 06:17
New Egg and Best Buy are the exclusive USA (North American?) retailers. The EeePC is supposed to show up on their sites "any hour now," but I've been hearing that since this time yesterday. There's a lot of price estimates floating around, but they are based on the prices in other countries and we all know how the price difference between countries is rarely a simple currency conversion!

cairn
2007-10-17, 06:21
PS: For anyone who's wondering whether or not the Eee PC might be considered a competitor to the N800, head over to amazon.com right now, type "Eee PC" in the search box and check out what the first couple hits are :)

stewwalton
2007-10-17, 09:06
Possibly a stupid question but why wouldn't this be considered a competitor? It looks pretty compact, surfs the t'internet and from what i have just googled should be pretty cheap... AND it has open office, if only......

rs-px
2007-10-17, 10:10
I know it's notin quite the same class as the n800, but it does seem like it might be competitor since it is a small device marketed for mobile internet use and many consumers will be more familiar with the traditional laptop format. Check out the specs:

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/

Actually, I think it IS in the same class as the N800. Both are essentially ultra-portable internet devices.

It appeals to the same kind of people because it runs Linux, and so will be easily hackable. It will make a terrific portable network diagnostic tool, for example. And, of course, there's the chance to install Windows XP (although I suspect it will run like a lame dog).

It tramples the N800 into the ground in terms of specification and also price. It's even got a VGA out!

True, it won't fit as comfortably into your jeans pocket, and that's one thing I like about my 770 -- I can put it in one pocket, and the Bluetooth keyboard into another.

I really hope that Nokia are looking hard at the Eee. The Eee significantly raises the game in the nascent portable internet device marketplace. Most importantly, the Eee's price is right. If Nokia launch the 810 at a premium, as I suspect they want to, then they're going to drive people to the Eee.

SD69
2007-10-17, 10:32

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/I agree it's a competitor for many people. For me, I apply the "airport" test and the traditional laptop format is a disadvantage. You can't use it while waiting in line. It gets pulled over in the airport security line. And it has to have adequate battery life to be able to turn on continuously from when I leave my my office until when they make me turn it off on the plane, and again from the plane to my hotel or other destination.

The silent side of portability is battery life and that remains to be seen for the Asus eee. Nokia gets this right on the tablets.

Noneus
2007-10-17, 10:33
For me it's not the same class. The N800 is internet on the go. You don't need a backpack or anything. The EEE will need some sort of bag. I will buy the EEE. Just because it's cheap.

kenny
2007-10-17, 11:21
The Asus EeePC is more of an UMPC in a tiny laptop format. It is NOT pocketable and that's one of the main directives of the N800.....a pocketable device.
Yes, the skinned down version of the Eee is relatively inexpensive.

rs-px
2007-10-17, 11:55
OK, I'm starting to see the point. Maybe they're not direct competitors, simply because the Eee lacks the hybrid mobile phone size. But I still think that people potentially buying the 810 will have the Eee on their list, which is why Nokia need to be watching it. People are going to think: "Well, the Eee is cheaper and includes a keyboard... while the 810 is a third more expensive and a keyboard is extra." Remember that it's only when you get to use an 800 that you understand how usable it is. You have to use it to "get it". I think that new buyers won't have that point of view.

I might buy an Eee because, as somebody said, they're just so damn cheap. I also like the idea that they're silent. Then again, I already have a notebook (Macbook) that's only a little bigger and heavier. Both will need to be transported in a bag.

I'll also bet that the Linux installed on the Eee is a LOT better than the OS2007 in terms of stability and software choice. It's a x86 Xandros distribution, probably based on KDE, so practically every piece of Linux software out there should be available already as a binary. If you can't get it from Xandros then you'll probably be able to get it from whichever Debian distro this Xandros is based on.

No porting, no recomplilation for ARM processors, no messing around. To me, this is one area where the Eee wins massively over the N800. I've been complaining elsewhere on this forum about no decent word processor being available for the N770/800. On the Eee, I'll bet that OpenOffice, Abiword, Kword, and others are just a download away.

Karel Jansens
2007-10-17, 12:17
OK, I'm starting to see the point. Maybe they're not direct competitors, simply because the Eee lacks the hybrid mobile phone size. But I still think that people potentially buying the 810 will have the Eee on their list, which is why Nokia need to be watching it. People are going to think: "Well, the Eee is cheaper and includes a keyboard... while the 810 is a third more expensive and a keyboard is extra." Remember that it's only when you get to use an 800 that you understand how usable it is. You have to use it to "get it". I think that new buyers won't have that point of view.

I might buy an Eee because, as somebody said, they're just so damn cheap. I also like the idea that they're silent. Then again, I already have a notebook (Macbook) that's only a little bigger and heavier. Both will need to be transported in a bag.

I'll also bet that the Linux installed on the Eee is a LOT better than the OS2007 in terms of stability and software choice. It's a x86 Xandros distribution, probably based on KDE, so practically every piece of Linux software out there should be available already as a binary. If you can't get it from Xandros then you'll probably be able to get it from whichever Debian distro this Xandros is based on.

Xandros is nice. Ubuntu is nicer, but Xandros ain't too shabby. The one thing Xandros got definitely going for it (in my book, that is), is that they're full-on KDE. With Ubuntu, you always have that little nagging voice, saying: "But it's only second choice to Gnome, innit? There has to be something wrong with it".

Of course, at its heart Xandros is commercial, so don't expect all the goodies to be for free (as in "beer"). But heck, I can live with that; I've got money...

No porting, no recomplilation for ARM processors, no messing around. To me, this is one area where the Eee wins massively over the N800. I've been complaining elsewhere on this forum about no decent word processor being available for the N770/800. On the Eee, I'll bet that OpenOffice, Abiword, Kword, and others are just a download away.

OpenOffice.org is pre-installed on the Eee.

Noneus
2007-10-17, 12:36
The problem isn't the arm-architecture. It's porting stuff to the HildonUI. You can run KDE on the N800. But of course it's not as powerful as the EEE.

The EEE is a very small and very cheap laptop. The N800 is a pocketable companion that you can take everywhere. I can't take the EEE to a party without looking like a complete geek. I can with the N800.

rs-px
2007-10-17, 13:22
The problem isn't the arm-architecture. It's porting stuff to the HildonUI. You can run KDE on the N800. But of course it's not as powerful as the EEE.

Current reports say that the resolution on the Eee is exactly the same as the N800 on the base models -- 800x480. Of course, the dot pitch is very different, and it's a physically a larger screen.

But as I'm getting used to my 770, and bearing in mind my existing knowledge of GNOME, KDE and XFCE, I'm starting to think that Nokia made a mistake creating an entirely new GUI system for their internet tablets. I could argue that Hildon has been a failure and the developer take-up has been far short of what Nokia might have expected.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it would have made more sense to modify an existing desktop and retain full API compatibility. This would have allowed users to run existing software. OK, it might run strangely, but the modifications would be trivial.

fpp
2007-10-17, 14:05
It appeals to the same kind of people because it runs Linux, and so will be easily hackable. It will make a terrific portable network diagnostic tool, for example. And, of course, there's the chance to install Windows XP (although I suspect it will run like a lame dog).

The Kohjinsha SA1, last year's prefigurator to the EEE, has lower CPU specs (AMD Geode 800, a 500 Mhz PIII clone), runs Windows XP quite adequately (for its intended usage : Web, mail, Office apps, video etc., not for number-crunching, ray-tracing or 3D games) in 512 MB of RAM.

There's no reason why the EEE couldn't run it just as well if not better, although it's really meant to run some sort of Linux.

LAGMonkey
2007-10-18, 09:07
ive been looking into the EEE and one of the main things that initially swung me towards it and away from the N800 is the fact that the EEE PC will have USB Host functionality.
There are conflicting reports about the battery life of the device but i have a feeling that the N800 would win on the front.
The fact that installing software on the EEE will be so much easier is VERY VERY appealing to me as im no Linux master at the moment but i am getting the hang of it.

Darius2006
2007-10-18, 10:57
For me it's not the same class. The N800 is internet on the go. You don't need a backpack or anything. The EEE will need some sort of bag. I will buy the EEE. Just because it's cheap.

Hi,

is EEE really not full-screen mini-laptop ?
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1907&modelmenu=1

darius

fanoush
2007-10-18, 11:20
bearing in mind my existing knowledge of GNOME, KDE and XFCE, I'm starting to think that Nokia made a mistake creating an entirely new GUI system for their internet tablets.

They did not create entirely new GUI system. Any plain X11 or GTK app compiled for ARM (with right toolchain) will run on the tablet too.

I could argue that Hildon has been a failure and the developer take-up has been far short of what Nokia might have expected.

Ever heard of
GNOME mobile (http://www.gnome.org/mobile/) and Ubuntu Mobile (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded/FAQ)? They adopted Hildon so perhaps it is not a complete failure ;-)

Noneus
2007-10-18, 11:39
Hi,

is EEE really not full-screen mini-laptop ?
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=24&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1907&modelmenu=1

darius

Just look at it. What does it look like? Like a laptop. It's not exactly like a normal laptop. You get a flash drive and no stuff like Expresscards. That's because of the size and the price. I know it has this iPhonish application starter. But that just starts regular apps, that where designed for the PC. It even features the same architecture as a PC.

But as I'm getting used to my 770, and bearing in mind my existing knowledge of GNOME, KDE and XFCE, I'm starting to think that Nokia made a mistake creating an entirely new GUI system for their internet tablets. I could argue that Hildon has been a failure and the developer take-up has been far short of what Nokia might have expected.

It's not a mistake. XFCE, GNOME and KDE where design to be used with a mouse and a keyboard on big monitors or laptops. The Hildon UI was designed to be operated via touchscreen and it was fitted to the high dpi screen on the N** stuff. All the fonts would be very small and hard to read if you'd use a regular XFCE desktop. Just think of all the the stuff Nokia had to do to make these apps usable by touch only. And they didn't create an entirely new GUI system. They extended GTK so it can be used entirely by touch.

TA-t3
2007-10-18, 11:40
It's still a bit painful to port to Hildon, which is probably why we don't have thousands (instead of dozens) of apps already. Non-Hildonized apps aren't as sleek, mostly (an example of an application where it doesn't matter at all though is the Free42 calculator).

elwood
2007-10-18, 12:15
I think it is a strong competitor, especially considering the casual market. People are used to the form factor, and for a few bucks more you get winxp, which makes me cringe but is a plus for the casual market. Depending on the EU pricing I will probably rather go for the eee-pc than the new N810. I own a 770 and bought it for 350 € when it came out. I skipped the N800 and was waiting for the new tablet, but I can't justify approximately 450 € for a keyboard and better surfing experience (that's all I want and need).

rs-px
2007-10-18, 12:16
It's still a bit painful to port to Hildon, which is probably why we don't have thousands (instead of dozens) of apps already. Non-Hildonized apps aren't as sleek, mostly (an example of an application where it doesn't matter at all though is the Free42 calculator).

This is why I said that Hildon could *arguably* be seen as a failure. In short, where are the apps? GNOME and KDE apps number in the hundreds, or even thousands. How many complete apps are there for Hildon? (and I'm not talking about best-intention projects that start but never actually complete, and live in eternal alpha/beta status). I can only think of one that I actually use: MaemoMapper. The others apps I use are ports: Mplayer, Leafpad and FBReader. Oh, I use Navicore, and I guess that's an original program.

I'm not a developer (that should be clear by now :)). I speak from an informed end-user perspective. And it seems to me that Hildon was a step in the wrong direction. I realise Hildon was based on GTK but it's too far removed from GNOME and GTK on x86. The original devs should have taken GNOME, and Nautilus, and adapted them. Instead they wiped the board clean and started again. This was a mistake, IMHO, and we're seeing the consequences now -- it's difficult to port applications, and not many developers rising the challenge of developing from scratch.

Noneus
2007-10-18, 13:16
They didn't wipe the board. They use alot of stuff that is FOSS. And you don't have to develop from scratch. You have to change the gui. (But it's not a complete redesign) The callbacks can remain as they are in most cases. There just aren't that much developers for Maemo.

TA-t3
2007-10-18, 14:44
At least there is a unification process going on at the moment. OS2008 will be closer to mainstream gtk+, and Hildon is getting integrated into gtk+ as well so that it's actually going to be available on the desktop. Applications could then be written from the start with dual Hildon/non-Hildon support. (And if the Vala compiler project continues then there's a nicer-than-C-or-C++ method of writing apps too.)

Noneus
2007-10-18, 16:39
Actually the Intel MIDs integrate Hildon aswell ans Hildon will be just antoher GNOME library.

Jupex
2007-11-02, 13:37
For me: I am definately gonna get an EEEPC as soon as it arrives. I am going to maybe use less N800. No offence but there are so much things I want to do with my portable device and N800 just doesn't deliver what it's supposed to. I need flwaless streaming video in my portable device. Then I need support for all sorts of video formats. Also I need PIM functionality. Maybe some nokia smartphone and EEEPC :) just the right combination. Allthou I am waiting for Chinook to bring some more features I need, but my hopes aren't exactly very high.

ha1f
2007-11-02, 18:08
I was all about the eeepc, but with newegg pushing it at $400, I just cant bring my self to buy it. Im going for the n810 instead. Maybe I'll sell my n800 to see if it can cover a lesser model of the eeepc, but for now, its not for me.

also, i want a black one.

ch8xy
2007-11-02, 18:54
For short trips out of town, I usually take my N800 with me (for email and Web surfing). For longer trips, I would also take my Sony VAIO (to work on MS Office files). EEE PC is not really PORTABLE--by that I mean you can not put it in a regular sized pocket. If I wanted something small to replace my VAIO, it would be a UMPC running Windows XP or Vista:(

Drewvt
2007-11-02, 20:57
For short trips out of town, I usually take my N800 with me (for email and Web surfing). For longer trips, I would also take my Sony VAIO (to work on MS Office files). EEE PC is not really PORTABLE--by that I mean you can not put it in a regular sized pocket. If I wanted something small to replace my VAIO, it would be a UMPC running Windows XP or Vista:(

If you're just doing Office, why would you need Windows at all? OpenOffice can do everything MS Office can (you can even continue to save the files in MS Office formats like .doc, if you want). I agree that an N800 would not quite cut it as a laptop replacement, but the Asus Eee would be perfect for you at this point in time.

Speaking of the ugly bricks running Windows that are currently referred to "UMPCs" - you know, those 800 dollar things that don't have a physical keyboard and little battery life - the Asus Eee is really going to kick their asses in the market, isn't it?

ch8xy
2007-11-02, 21:24
If OpenOffice really does MS Office stuff, I'll take a look. But then again, my VAIO has 11" display (good for video), is very thin and weights 3 pounds and change. I see no need to change right now.

benmhall
2007-11-03, 01:24
I have owned a 770, own an N800 and purchased an EeePC yesterday. My initial review of it, based on an evening's worth of use, can be found here (http://lnxg.ca/?Hardware:Asus_Eeepc_701).

In short, it's a fantastic little computer. If I had to pick one device, N800 or EeePC, as a full-fledged portable computer, there's no question: The EeePC is just a tiny, 2lb laptop. Given that more capable, tiny 2lb laptops (like the Toshiba R500, which is only marginally larger) exist but are $2000CDN+, I think the EeePC will really shake up the market. The laptop market, that is.

Having given the EeePC high praise, the Nokia Internet Tablets are a far more ambitious project. 2lbs is a _lot_ heavier than .5lbs. The NIT is _just_ pocketable, while the EeePC is about the size of a student's notebook. Having used both, the EeePC is clearly a better general-purpose computer, but the N800 is an order of magnitude smaller and more interesting form-factor and software-wise.

From an evening's use, I have to say that the NITs and the EeePC aren't in the same league at all. The EeePC is just a laptop. Small, yes. Cheap, relatively, but it's just a laptop. The Toshiba R500 isn't a competitor to the NITs, neither is any other $400 laptop. Myself, I have always considered the NITs to be competing against PocketPC, PalmOS and the newer wifi-enabled iPod-based devices.

I split the purchase of the EeePC with someone else. We'll both use it as a secondary computer, the EeePC would make a great presentation machine, but I'm not thinking of selling off the N800 even for a second. The EeePC doesn't have anything like MaemoMapper, I can't take it with me in a coat pocket, I can't easily do voice recording etc. Also, despite including Kontact on the EeePC, the N800 still makes a better PDA-replacement, which is one of the things I use mine for, despite Nokia's apparent wishes.

--
To dive slightly off-topic, I must say that Nokia's dogged insistence that the NIT's aren't PDAs seems very short-sighted to me and are a detriment to the device's potential popularity. Clearly, many people seems to think that a calendar, decent contact, and to-do list would be a definite advantage. As a paying customer, I know that GPE is the first thing I install. Yes, on-line options exist, but despite best efforts, we are not always on-line with these very pocketable tablets. Even Apple includes basic PIM functionality with their closed, "limited" offerings. Wake up, Nokia!

Unlike adding a phone, this wouldn't cost more hardware-wise. GPE is even almost there as a PIM. They just need to tweak the GUI a bit more and officially sanction it. I can even sync it with Evolution (though it would be better if GPE just read standard .ics files and a directory of .vcs files natively.) Heck, Nokia owns Intellisync, so they have syncing expertise, though I'd even settle for none if the on-device PDA software was adequate and they made backup and restore decent.
--

Okay, back on topic, the EeePC is a nifty thing, but the only similarities it shares with the Nokia Internet Tablets is that it is Linux-based, in the same price range, and has the same screen resolution.

Someone here mentioned video playback: Out of the box, I wouldn't think that the EeePC would be much better than the N800. YouTube playback was a bit faster, but it was still pushing the box. (It is just a Celeron 900/512MB with very little customization/optimization.) Adding software is a bit easier than it is with the NIT, but it's still not a dual-core 2GHz machine. One must have realistic expectations. There is no magic with the EeePC. Nokia have done far more optimization than Asus, and I wouldn't be surprised if the OS2008 firmware update brings video playback to parity with the EeePC in it's current state.

rs-px
2007-11-03, 09:47
Great review, Ben. I was going to write a review of my new Eee for the forum but I'm not sure there's any need now.

Incidentally, I think we might be technological soul mates -- we have virtually identical computer hardware, even down to the same BT keyboard. :)

bunanson
2007-11-03, 12:14
Okay, back on topic, the EeePC is a nifty thing, but the only similarities it shares with the Nokia Internet Tablets is that it is Linux-based, in the same price range, and has the same screen resolution.

Thanks Ben, that is an excellent review, in particular your comparision to the tablet, to the point, unbias. And I cannot agree more with your concluding remarks about their similarities. For my personal taste, minor details in their difference. The form factor is a big thing, literally, http://internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10814&highlight=eee,

__________________________________________________ ________
I like to see numbers, the facts, rather then all kinds of estimations:

eee: 226 x 165 x 21 - 35 mm / 908 g (converted from above, when open it becomes 165 X 2 i.e. a little bit under 330 mm)

770: 135 x 78 x 14 mm / 185 g (141 x 79 x 19 mm / 230 g with cover)

N800: 144 x 75 x 13 mm / 206 g (13 - 18 mm?)

N810: 128 x 72 x 14 mm / 225 g

regular shirt pocket 150 x 130 mm

lab coat lower pocket 170 x 160 mm

Size wise, the eee is 4X heavier and 9X (in volume) bulkier even before open!
__________________________________________________ ___________________

The eee is equal to 9 tablets. Period. So pocketability is gone. Battery? The tablet is always on while the eee may not enjoy such a luxury. BT is absent on eee (USB BT may not be as straight forward as one thinks). In summary, the eee/price is going to shake up the laptop industry. But, as some tableteers have posted, lets go and get a eee instead of an N810 because its spec sucks, I dont think so.

bun

ch8xy
2007-11-03, 14:21
Just to add another perspective: think of NIT as a swiss knife (completely poketable) and Eee as a hunting knife (barely pocketable) and then do your comparison.

Karel Jansens
2007-11-03, 14:29
Just to add another perspective: think of NIT as a swiss knife (completely poketable) and Eee as a hunting knife (barely pocketable) and then do your comparison.

It's much easier for me to kill you with a hunting knife.

Then I'll steal your pocket knife... Har, har, har.

ch8xy
2007-11-03, 14:48
Very funny. I can do that to you too, with my hunting knife. The point is that I carry a swiss knife anywhere I go, not a hunting knife.

frank.wagner
2007-11-03, 14:50
Where can I order online - now - the Asus eeePC - 4G or 8G ??????

Thanks for your Feedback :)

Karel Jansens
2007-11-03, 15:01

Expansys Europe has it on preorder for November 15th. Only the 4GB version though.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the 8gig: the Eee has an SD card slot and comes with an empty internal mini-PCIexpress slot. The latter will (allegedly) take SSD storage modules Asus will bring out early next year.

Also, the Eee takes bog-standard RAM modules (I forget what kind, but it's easy enough to find out), so upgrading your Eee to 1 gig of RAM can be done cheaply by just about anyone above the age of three.

I really like this Eee, but I'm bidding on a Pepper Pad 3 (I wasn't kidding about those munchies, it's just that they're gadget munchies :D) right now, so odds are I might not get one after all.

Karel Jansens
2007-11-03, 15:03
Very funny. I can do that to you too, with my hunting knife. The point is that I carry a swiss knife anywhere I go, not a hunting knife.

You're already dead. I've got a pen knife, a pocket knife, a Leatherman, a hunting knife and a freakin' phase cannon.:D

ch8xy
2007-11-03, 15:25
Hey, I know school is out, but Mom wants you to quit playing around and go clean the toilet!

frank.wagner
2007-11-03, 15:41
Review from a N800 Owner :) :

http://lnxg.ca/?Hardware:Asus_Eeepc_701

Drewvt
2007-11-03, 16:07
Someone here mentioned video playback: Out of the box, I wouldn't think that the EeePC would be much better than the N800. YouTube playback was a bit faster, but it was still pushing the box. (It is just a Celeron 900/512MB with very little customization/optimization.) Adding software is a bit easier than it is with the NIT, but it's still not a dual-core 2GHz machine. One must have realistic expectations. There is no magic with the EeePC. Nokia have done far more optimization than Asus, and I wouldn't be surprised if the OS2008 firmware update brings video playback to parity with the EeePC in it's current state.

Have you tested anything like, for example, a regular 640x480 .avi encoded with Xvid? I'd be interested to know how that runs (I'm guessing too many dropped frames to be watchable).

benmhall
2007-11-03, 16:51
Have you tested anything like, for example, a regular 640x480 .avi encoded with Xvid? I'd be interested to know how that runs (I'm guessing too many dropped frames to be watchable).

I just tried a 600MB divX file. To my surprise, it played perfectly. In hindsight, I don't know why I was surprised. It _is_ a 900MHz Pentium M-based CPU. I'm now trying a 1.3GB DivX of one of my movies, I'll report back. (Had to copy this one to the SD card from my N800, it'd be too big for the internal drive!) For those interested, the bundled video player is SMplayer.

I've also tried a few of the bundled games. Frozen Bubble 2.x works well but the music is jerky, Penguin Racer (TuxRacer) is okay but the framerate is pretty low. Still, it uses OpenGL, so at least DRI works out-of-the-box.

The EeePC is a pretty capable Linux subnotebook. It sleeps, wakes, and has working DRI. Not bad at all. The WiFi is a little flakey compared to NetworkManager with Ubuntu. It's using the pre-NetworkManager thing that KDE had. It's okay, but not great. Much worse than the N800 for getting on and off WiFi networks.

frank.wagner
2007-11-03, 16:55
More Infos:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

benmhall
2007-11-03, 17:22
I just tried a 600MB divX file. To my surprise, it played perfectly. In hindsight, I don't know why I was surprised. It _is_ a 900MHz Pentium M-based CPU. I'm now trying a 1.3GB DivX of one of my movies, I'll report back.

The 1.3GB video played fine too. There was a bit of a framerate drop in high-action sequences but this was barely noticeable. (I was paying close attention.) By comparison, neither were particularly playable on my N800, even with MPlayer, though I've never really wanted to watch a video on a 7" screen, let alone a 4".

Mark S
2007-11-03, 17:25
I owned an n770, own an n800, and will probably own an n810 at some point, but I have never been too sure what I can really do with the IT's.

To the contrary, the eee pc, which I have now owned for 2 days, makes a super secondary computer and is a real computer, whereas the IT's are still just gadgets to me. I expect that I will actually use the eee pc quite a lot. In fact, I am typing this post with it. The eee pc will be my short trip business travel laptop, and I can keep it in my briefcase just in case a need arises. The n800 just cannot do what I need to do on the road. In fact, I rarely carry the n800 around.

On the eee pc, I have open office so I can actually read and write ms word documents, and I was able to install the metaframe citrix client, so I have full access to my entire work network. Out of the box I can stream sirius over the device using the built-in browser. There is a pim (haven't tried it yet, but it i there), and I can attach a printer. I do wish they had but bluetooth on the eee pc, but I guess everything has its shortcomings. Also, while the device is fairly snappy, I am going to add ram and make it 1gb.

Within a few years I will probably have a notebook running linux that has say a 10" screen and slightly larger keyboard (the keyboard is usable but a bit cramped) with a small ssd drive, wifi, bt, and 3g with 6 hrs battery. Such a device is perfect for business and would sell because the software costs effectively nothing with the linux environment and even tht hardware is not too expensive to make.

I will still use the IT to browse the net from a living room chair, and the broswer on the IT is better than the one on the eee pc, but I have never found much real use for the IT's or been able easily to make use of the IT's alleged abilities.

I am selling my microsoft stock on Monday :)

ch8xy
2007-11-03, 17:47
I agree with what you are saying, but feel that I have to repeat what has been said earlier: Think of NIT as a swiss knife. Yes, if I am forced to choose one, Eee would be it, not NIT. But most people, me included, own several knives: pocket knives, hunting knives, daggers (not me), etc. What do you think I carry in my pocket everywhere I go?

hircus
2007-11-03, 18:22
Think of NIT as a swiss knife. Yes, if I am forced to choose one, Eee would be it, not NIT. But most people, me included, own several knives: pocket knives, hunting knives, daggers (not me), etc. What do you think I carry in my pocket everywhere I go?

Good observation. A few years ago, my computing solution involve an SMP desktop machine paired with a Sony Picturebook (8.9" widescreen, Crusoe CPU). Nowadays it's a 14" laptop plus the NIT.

In short, you don't want the NIT as your main computer (screen too small, storage too limited), but surely the EEE is also insufficiently powerful for most of us on this forum?

(Would be great for my mom though)

Milhouse
2007-11-03, 18:59
The only thing stopping me from ordering an EEE is the 800x600 screen resolution - it's too similar to the N800 screen resolution to make it a worthwhile improvement and it's frankly too low a rez for a device of this size... Now, if it were 1024x768 I'd snap one up without thinking...

fpp
2007-11-03, 19:13
It's not similar, it's the same - 800x480, not 800x600. But you should give it a try in real life, if possible, before dismissing it altogether - 800x480 on a 7" screen with all the tools and options available in the x86 world (like Firefox & extensions) is a completely different experience than 800x480 on the tablet's 4" screen with maemo.

ch8xy
2007-11-03, 20:01
Seems to me that Eee could be a nice 3rd computer, beside your main computer/labtop and your poketable device such as NIT. It won't replace the former due to its sufficient but limited capabilities, as well as its small display and keyboard. It won't replace the latter also due to size--you can't put in in your pocket and use it everywhere. I can see buying it as a travel companion, as a temporary (and compact) substitute for my main computer while away.

benmhall
2007-11-03, 20:26
Seems to me that Eee could be a nice 3rd computer, beside your main computer/labtop and your poketable device such as NIT. It won't replace the former due to its sufficient but limited capabilities, as well as its small display and keyboard. It won't replace the latter also due to size--you can't put in in your pocket and use it everywhere. I can see buying it as a travel companion, as a temporary (and compact) substitute for my main computer while away.

That's pretty much what I'm going to use it for.

At $400, it's also a pretty good backup for me in case my main laptop, which I use to generate income, is in need of repair. (Not unlikely, either. It's a MacBook that has already had a new screen, new inverter, and new keyboard/trackpad assembly.)

So many interesting Linux-based devices these days. How wonderful!

benmhall
2007-11-03, 20:32
The only thing stopping me from ordering an EEE is the 800x600 screen resolution - it's too similar to the N800 screen resolution to make it a worthwhile improvement and it's frankly too low a rez for a device of this size... Now, if it were 1024x768 I'd snap one up without thinking...

Milhouse, if you do pick one up, I hope you keep using your NIT and posting here. As someone who is still just starting out with these NITs, I've learned a great deal from reading your posts in the last few weeks. Your more recent posts sound as though you're thinking of taking a break here. That'd be a great loss for everyone here. (posters and lurkers alike!)

When I first bought the EeePC, I will admit that I wondered if I'd made a mistake with the N800 (which I'd also purchased in October.) Having used the EeePC now for a few days, I don't really see it changing how and when I use the N800. (Though it's certainly better for videos, and having Thunderbird is a big plus.)

Nokia has put a lot of effort into making the NITs usable at 800x480. This is apparent about a minute and a half after using the EeePC. (Though the 7" screen is a lot easier to read than a 4" screen.)

aflegg
2007-11-03, 20:48
I agree - the full blown chrome on a 7" 800x480 screen is barmy; a Hildon style interface is much more sensible; especially if it's transparent to the apps running in it.

If/when I get an Eee (see how much money's left after Christmas), it'll certainly be tempting to blast away Xandros and load up Ubuntu and Hildon :-)

Or, something more space efficient, like ROX or even the Mac OS X-style hacks. Or, finally, the impetus to get implemented my thoughts on a GtkMenuFactory in gtk+.

katysax
2007-11-03, 21:08
Well, I've ordered an EEE PC; I've been waiting for it and expect to get it tomorrow.

I owned the 770 for a week when it was first released and returned it - had too many problems. I got the N800 a few months ago. Fantastic machine - has worked great. I would not have bought it though had the EEE PC been an alternative. I will not buy the N810 (at least for now I won't).

I like the pocketability of the N800 and I'll probably keep using it for some things, but the EEE PC is what I've been waiting years for. I don't think the slideout keyboard of the N810 adds anything that I want. The use of Linux on the EEE for me is a big draw. The N800 beautifully demonstrated that Linux is mighty capable on a small computer. The EEE PC would be a nightmare with XP (or horrors - Vista).

I think between the iPhone (which I also own but doesn't do as much as the N800), and the EEE PC it is touch to find a place for the N810. Where the N800 has really been a star to me is (1) VNC, (2) Rhapsody (buggy but still better than nothing), and (3) Skype. For just web browsing and email iPhone is just as good or better. For everything else N800 is too small.

frank.wagner
2007-11-03, 21:50
I have online ordered ( the new Asus Eee PC 4G with 2 GB Ram for 460 € - Delivery in 2 weeks )

2006 was the Nokia N770 good - then Nokia slept well

Then comes Apple with the iPhone - and Nokia had the N800

Now comes Acer (and Google next week ???) with EeePC and a open Linux Base and a price fight

And many people are thinking and change your system - certainly

And that was the main reason for me

http://internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11226

Milhouse
2007-11-03, 22:01
It's not similar, it's the same - 800x480, not 800x600. But you should give it a try in real life, if possible, before dismissing it altogether - 800x480 on a 7" screen with all the tools and options available in the x86 world (like Firefox & extensions) is a completely different experience than 800x480 on the tablet's 4" screen with maemo.

Thanks for the correction - I went by the details in this review (http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2007/10/30/Asus-Eee-PC-4G-701/p2) which clearly can't be trusted! :)

As the screen is even less than I thought it was, it's less appealing still - I'm not suggesting 800x480 is a bad resolution, just that getting another 800x480 device doesn't make much sense even if it comes with a keyboard... hmm N810 anybody? :) x86 and it's associated performance would be nice, but for the size of the device I'd want at least a step up in terms of resolution in order to more easily justify the additional bulk.

Milhouse
2007-11-03, 22:11
Milhouse, if you do pick one up, I hope you keep using your NIT and posting here. As someone who is still just starting out with these NITs, I've learned a great deal from reading your posts in the last few weeks. Your more recent posts sound as though you're thinking of taking a break here. That'd be a great loss for everyone here. (posters and lurkers alike!)

Thanks for the kind words. It's true I've been somewhat negative of late, but that could be due to mid-life crisis as much as Nokia's "long view" approach to NIT development! :) I'll probably snap out of it once I see OS 2008, or maybe not - who knows? One thing is for sure, I'll be around for a while yet... Intel MIDs aren't slated until mid 2008, and who knows what "Step 4" of the Nokia 5-step plan will bring? :D

The eee PC looks nice, has a good price but I'm not sure it offers me anything more than the N800 or N810 - it's advantages (x86 architecture and performance) are offset by it's negatives (size and weight, same screen size as N800) so net-net I can't really justify it as I don't really need a "laptop" style device (and my old 400Mhz P3 IBM Thinkpad with 1024x768 res screen is just fine for when I need it, which isn't often!) :)

Milhouse
2007-11-03, 22:15
Nokia has put a lot of effort into making the NITs usable at 800x480. This is apparent about a minute and a half after using the EeePC. (Though the 7" screen is a lot easier to read than a 4" screen.)

This is why I don't think the eee flies with a 800x480 screen - the form factor is certainly large enough to accomodate a higher res screen, but I guess price prevented it's inclusion.

The included software doesn't seem fully customised to run at what is quite a low desktop resolution, and XP would certainly struggle on such a display as I reckon 1024x768 would be considered the minimum screen size targeted by most desktop application developers (Linux or XP).

A next iteration of the eee PC will include a higher resolution screen I'm sure, maybe they should use the same screen technology used on the OLPC computer - low cost, high resolution.

bunanson
2007-11-03, 22:56

I wonder how much effect on battery life if it is 1024X768 vs 800X600? I would guess,
1024X768 = 786k vs 800x600 = 480k, this translates to 64% increase in energy, ie. the battery will be drained 64% more in regard to the video. Do you think that is what Asus is thinking, along the line higher resolution also increase the cost of production?

Just a thought,

bun

Milhouse
2007-11-04, 00:10
I wonder how much effect on battery life if it is 1024X768 vs 800X600? I would guess,
1024X768 = 786k vs 800x600 = 480k, this translates to 64% increase in energy, ie. the battery will be drained 64% more in regard to the video. Do you think that is what Asus is thinking, along the line higher resolution also increase the cost of production?

Just a thought,

bun

Good point, I guess higher resolution LCDs do draw more power - maybe higher resolution will be possible if Asus update the design to use the more power efficient Intel processors due in 2008?

I guess Asus could also offer a higher resolution model based on the current processor technology, then it's down to the consumer to decide if they want slightly more battery life or a less cramped display.

benmhall
2007-11-04, 01:25

Just a thought,

bun

No, I don't think Asus was terribly interested in energy efficiency or battery life, I think it was all about price. I'd guess that both the display and CPU were chosen because they could get a large quantity cheaply. The processor is just a socket-478. Who else would Intel sell a 900MHz socket 478 CPU to? I'd bet that the screen was the same deal. Do keep in mind that the original reported price for the EeePC was $199. I think that this was Asus' plan all along and when they saw the interest in the EeePC, they raised the price. (Who could blame them? They're a business. Heck, I still bought one for $399.)

Also, judging by how much buzz the EeePC has, and how interested Asus seems to be in releasing a Windows version of it, I doubt we'll see too much more development of the EeePC 701 as a Linux-based laptop. Pity, I think they're on to something here. (It's quite Folio-like, really.)

exon
2007-11-04, 04:54
1024X768 = 786k vs 800x600 = 480k, this translates to 64% increase in energy, ie. the battery will be drained 64% more in regard to the video.

Really? These are LCDs, not OLEDs. Isn't the backlight the primary source of power consumption in a LCD? This would suggest that the power required is a function of physical size and the designed/selected brightness, but not resolution. (Excepting the additional demands that more pixels place on the CPU/GPU.)

"Someone had a warehouse full of them" is a more likely explanation in my opinion (which benmhall and others already said).

Milhouse
2007-11-04, 05:53
Really? These are LCDs, not OLEDs. Isn't the backlight the primary source of power consumption in a LCD? This would suggest that the power required is a function of physical size and the designed/selected brightness, but not resolution. (Excepting the additional demands that more pixels place on the CPU/GPU.)

Backlighting could well remain the same assuming they replace the 7" 800x480 screen with a 7" 1024x768 screen (and backlighting is the biggest power drain) however LCDs are like dynamic memory and each pixel (row/column address) needs to be constantly refreshed so by increasing resolution it means more pixels need to be refreshed in a given period of time, requiring slightly more power than would be needed for a screen with fewer pixels. I really don't know if it's a big enough difference to have a noticeable impact on battery life, but I've read that doubling the amount of dynamic RAM in an N800 (ie. 128MB->256MB) would have resulted in reduced battery lifetime and I'm guessing the same is true of a higher res LCD.

But yeah, the warehouse theory is equally likely! :)

delaroca
2007-11-04, 06:26

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220244&Tpk=EEE%2bPC

-- Denis

TabulaRasa
2007-11-05, 17:57
Palm should have released the foleo as a linux laptop. Not as a "pda companion."

Karel Jansens
2007-11-05, 19:18
Palm should have released the foleo as a linux laptop. Not as a "pda companion."

Palm should have done a lot of things it hasn't done...