PDA

View Full Version : Lust Object: Creative Zen Vision:M

Mike Cane
2006-01-14, 00:31
This is a hot test of the BT KB. This is the kind of situation I wanted it for!

Just came back from J&R, where they *finally* got in the Creative Zen Vision:M MP3/video player.

I got to fondle it.

Wow!

The screen on this thing reallly is just as gorgeous as the handful of reviews have said. It is bright, very saturated, very colorful, and has a wide viewing angle. I played two demo videos on it and was watching them with someone else who was interested in it. We could both watch the screen just fine!

The bad news is that the plastic reallly has a cheap sh*tty feel to it. That's really the only way to describe it. The front is this slick fingerprint-grabbing material. The four buttons feel very fragile! And the alleged white plastic on the back has the feel of that pressed cardboard that used to make up egg cartons in past years!

OTOH, this is allegedly able to play a wider range of video file formats than the iPod, so many vids grabbed from P2P should play on it w/o any conversion. This is the antithesis of the iPod, which wants everything turned into MP4 and h.264 first.

Despite the cheap plastic, that screen and the wider file formats make this a real Lust Object for me.

At J&R, they are only carrying the black one. I think black -- even with the 5G iPod -- tends to suck the light in and lowers the contrast of the screen (as counterintuitive as that may seem, that's my perception). I'd like to see the white CVZ:M.

Al in all, this hot test of the keyboard has gone rather well. Not as many repeating characters as I've had in the past, plus I paired with the 770 straight off the back. The only multiple characters I am getting are spaces after periods, which I will clean up before shipping this out. Plus, I am able to type on this very comfortably with very, very few typos. Almost as good as the Zippy. Poor Roger! He went with the BT Stowaway! Shoulda bought Chinese, Roger!

Mike Cane
2006-01-19, 19:46
@ desktop:

Just today finally installed iTunes.

Jaysus!

Forget the Zen! iTunes and ITMS are killers.

So I'll convert video...

Mike Cane
2006-01-23, 23:15
LVTT:

I don't know. Couldn't I convert MP4-> ?

It seems the M offers double video-out res. Plus, a firmware update has fixed some key issues:

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?sOSName=Windows+XP&region=1&Product_Name=ZEN+Vision%3AM&Product_ID=14331&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&Image4.x=16&Image4.y=14%3Cbr%3E%3Cbr%3E%22This

Firmware

Title Date

1. Creative Zen Vision:M PlaysForSure Firmware 1.11.01 (15.01 MB) 12 Jan 06 Download Now

Hide Details
Filename: ZenVisionMP4S_PCFW_LB_1_11_01.exe

This download contains an improved version of your Zen? Vision:M's firmware. It enhances your Zen Vision:M with PlaysForSure? functionality and improves your player's audio, video playback and picture features. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

PlaysForSure devices enable you to:
Use subscription-based online music services
Enjoy seamless support with any computer running Microsoft® Windows Media® Player 10 and Windows® XP - no drivers or software needed
Use the drag-and-drop method to transfer songs or files to your player through Windows Explorer
Use the Sync feature in Windows Media Player 10 to synchronize your player with your music library and playlists.

Important:
Do not disconnect the USB cable from your player or computer during installation.

Fixes:
Improves MP3 audio playback quality.
Improves the smoothness of WMV and AVI video playback.
Ensures proper functionality when pictures are deleted in thumbnail view.

Ensures proper video playback functionality when a large number of video files are transferred to your Zen Vision:M player.

Requirements:
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 or later, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 or 2005
Windows Media Player 10
USB 1.1 port (USB 2.0 recommended for faster transfers)
Creative Zen Vision:M

Notes:
To install this firmware update
Download the ZenVisionMP4S_PCFW_LB_1_11_01.exe file into your local hard disk.
Connect your player to your computer.
Close all application and Windows Explorer windows that are currently running on your computer.
Double-click the firmware update file and follow the instructions on the screen.

Mike Cane
2006-01-24, 16:29
New review:

http://www.cnet.co.uk/misc/print/0,39030763,39195869,00.htm

Mike Cane
2006-01-30, 18:47
Another review:

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/printpage.php?id=431

Mike Cane
2006-02-02, 16:11
Another review:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=243

Mike Cane
2006-02-02, 16:17
And another:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=39&page=5607

BTW, J&R has it back in stock. Still just black, however.

wendo
2006-02-02, 17:33
Too bad they didn't do a better job on the design of this unit; compared to iPods, this unit is rather thick. I'm also not a fan of their touch pad scrolling.

However, lots of bells and whistles available when compared to other comparable units.

wendo
2006-02-03, 17:17
I wish Creative would get these out to retail stores; I would like to see one in person.

(The Archos AV 500 looks rather nice too.)

Mike Cane
2006-02-03, 17:56
@ desktop.

It is in stores.

wendo
2006-02-03, 18:04
Took a few minutes to search and while I haven't been able to locate Vision:M in retail stores, it does appear the black one is available at several online retailers such as Buy.com, MacMall, and Dell.com.

Until I can see and play with one in person, though, I won't buy it.