PDA

View Full Version : ThoughtFix's LIVE N810 show RIGHT NOW (Oct 18, 11P Pacific)

thoughtfix
2007-10-19, 05:41
Tune in. Ask questions in chat.
Starting officially at 11
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thoughtfixs-live-show

GeneralAntilles
2007-10-19, 06:00
Cool stuff. Thanks!

Mattox
2007-10-19, 06:14
Watchin now. Good work thoughtfix!

zeez
2007-10-19, 07:49
Enjoying the show right now - thanks for your effort !

ArnimS
2007-10-19, 08:03
Thanks for the fix, thoughtfix. Was jonesing for new N810 goodness.

arjun-giri
2007-10-19, 08:19
Thanks man. A lot of fun and important information. See ya next week
PS Inform a bit earlier - so we woud'nt miss Live !

thoughtfix
2007-10-19, 08:23
Thanks. I had a lot of fun too. 2.5 hours went by FAST.

Next week I'll start one at about 6 AZ time and keep going until I pass out.

imrahil
2007-10-19, 08:26
Did Thoughtfix record this show?

Garage Battle
2007-10-19, 08:46
summary (I joined late):

1. it cant do youtube any better than the old one.

2. same with maps.google.com

3. the processor is the same speed/power as the old one.

4. thoughtfix danced for us!

done.

Reggie
2007-10-19, 09:45
1. it cant do youtube any better than the old one.

What? YouTube works perfectly!

calador
2007-10-19, 09:58
Yeah, YouTube worked well but it wasn't apparent from the stream b/c, well, we were watching an N810 play a YouTube stream over a UStream stream. Not exactly representative of having an N810 in front of you d-; ThoughtFix pointed this out during the demo earlier on.

ThoughtFix ... brilliant job. It was fun to discover the N810 along you and the other viewers. Are you going to be painting it black as well? d-:

BTW, this was asked in chat and you didn't get the chance to get to it: Would you mind trying out www.meebo.com in the N810's default browser? You do NOT need a meebo account to sign into AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc, by the way. I have tried meebo on the N800 but it's slow, unusable, and usually makes the "Web" application crash. Hopefully this is remedied on the N810/OS2008. Thanks! (-:

Garage Battle
2007-10-19, 10:02
BS flag raised. Kept dropping audio also, wasnt the webcam.

he tried several times, and everything brought it to a halt. if Reggie wants to show us its better, take a video of it playing something. Thanks!

Reggie
2007-10-19, 10:30
re: Meebo

There are some cosmetic problems (window border rendering problems) on the Mozilla browser of the N810 but it works.

Rocketman
2007-10-19, 11:17
Here is what I learned from Thoughfix's show:

-The 2 GB of flash that is built in is 80% full of maps to begin with and is likely fat formatted, so those hoping for expanded storage space for Linux applications can look elsewhere.
-The memory card slot is indeed Mini-SD. The slot insertion/removal mechanism is difficult to operate. The maximum theoretical overall capacity of the unit is 10 GB when combining internal and external flash.
-The battery door is difficult to open, but without an internal card slot there isn't much point. Door is solidly in place and doesn't rattle in its frame like on the n800.
-The top keys have been improved with the full screen and +/- buttons seperated as on the 770. There is a hardware lock key on the top that locks the device from coming out of power saving mode due to accidental key presses or bumping of the screen while it sits in one's pocket.
-The camera appears to use a higher quality sensor than on the n800. I spoke with him over my n800 and google talk during his show. There was very little "speckled" ccd noise evident in his stream, whereas my image was a noisy mess despite a lot of overhead lighting.
-The screen is brighter and also appears to be transflective aka direct sunlight viewable.
-The keypad has a nice back lighting feature that is activated/deactivated automatically by the ambient light sensor.
-The casing/construction is almost entirely metal and has a very solid feel to it.
-Despite not being an officially listed feature, the N810 paired with a set of Bluetooth stereo headphones (A2DP). When attempting to use for voice calling, got a lot of stuttering/poor quality noise.
-Would pair with a bluetooth mouse, but does not support the profile.
-Web browser seems to work better with a lot of Web 2.0 websites, but also crashed on a number of occasions.
-Desktop applets/plugins look to be cool and can be resized and can overlap
-The UI skins look nice and utilize transparency well. Navigation and opening of programs was quite responsive.
-The GPS was able to lock onto five satellites indoors at Thoughtfix's house. Software was extremely slow in plotting a route for a 600 mile trip in the same state. 3d view still doesn't show street names. N810 comes with a cradle and a basic screw-type mounting bracket for in car use. It sounds like many GPS features will only be functional for an additional price.
-Keypad seemed to be slow and cumbersome as an input method due to chiclet sized keys with a very stiff response. Hitting keys along top row is somewhat difficult due to the overhanging lip of the screen. Several common keys like tab are simply not present (arg!). Many common keys including number keys are on a second function and there isn't a function lock/sticky keys mode for more efficient entry. Nor will holding a key down longer activate the second function for that key. This has become a common convention on compact qwerty devices. Hopefully Nokia will improve this in a software update.
-The D Pad positioning is as awkward as it looks and the center "enter" key of the D Pad is too large. Hitting up on the D Pad is difficult as it is against the side of the screen when extended. It sounds like Nokia needs to make the slider extend more.
-The soft slip case is pseudo-seude leather and is made in turkey and better fits that N810. There is no official hard case in the works as far as anyone knows.
-The speaker volume seems adequate and the N810 has the same special jack that allows one to use a standard set of headphones or a special set of stereo headphones with a built in microphone.
-Expanded video format support has not been shown in my mind as the N810 crapped out on a number of attempts to play formats listed in the new specifications. I would like to see a systematic testing of a wide variety of formats under rigorous conditions. I would like to see an official statement as to what resolutions and bitrates the N810 is capable of playing and what subversions of formats are supported (i.e. if you state WMV support, does that mean WM8, 9, 11, etc.?)

Texrat
2007-10-19, 12:36
Tune in. Ask questions in chat.
Starting officially at 11
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thoughtfixs-live-show

I was asleep. :p

zerojay
2007-10-19, 12:44
I was asleep. :p

The one night I decide to go to bed early. :/

kingka
2007-10-19, 13:54
I woke up @ 1:30 am to finish some work. tuned in @ 2:00am... passed out. wish I knew about this earlier.

ragnar
2007-10-19, 14:12
Here is what I learned from Thoughfix's show:
-Keypad seemed to be slow and cumbersome as an input method due to chiclet sized keys with a very stiff response. Hitting keys along top row is somewhat difficult due to the overhanging lip of the screen. Several common keys like tab are simply not present (arg!). Many common keys including number keys are on a second function and there isn't a function lock/sticky keys mode for more efficient entry. Nor will holding a key down longer activate the second function for that key. This has become a common convention on compact qwerty devices. Hopefully Nokia will improve this in a software update.

I'd like to correct this a bit.
- Tab is available, in the Chr menu. Press Chr and then select Tab from the menu. Ok, it's a two-tap operation, but it is still there.
- Number mode can be locked. Just press the blue FN key two times: it locks down and you can input as many numbers as you want. Additionally, for number text fields it automatically assumes that you're inputting numbers.

zerojay
2007-10-19, 14:35
Yeah, YouTube worked well but it wasn't apparent from the stream b/c, well, we were watching an N810 play a YouTube stream over a UStream stream. Not exactly representative of having an N810 in front of you d-; ThoughtFix pointed this out during the demo earlier on.

ThoughtFix ... brilliant job. It was fun to discover the N810 along you and the other viewers. Are you going to be painting it black as well? d-:

BTW, this was asked in chat and you didn't get the chance to get to it: Would you mind trying out www.meebo.com in the N810's default browser? You do NOT need a meebo account to sign into AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc, by the way. I have tried meebo on the N800 but it's slow, unusable, and usually makes the "Web" application crash. Hopefully this is remedied on the N810/OS2008. Thanks! (-:

Why would you use Meebo for IM when the tablet has built-in instant messaging that works with AIM/MSN/etc when used with a good Jabber server?

calador
2007-10-20, 09:15
Why would you use Meebo for IM when the tablet has built-in instant messaging that works with AIM/MSN/etc when used with a good Jabber server?

For the following reasons, which are only valid if you register for a meebo account:

1) I like to access my chat logs from anywhere (they are stored on meebo's servers)

2) I've grown accustomed to the UI and features (same look and feel, single sign-on from anywhere, etc)

3) Because if I can use it on my desktop browser, I should be able to use it on my tablet too, gosh darn it (-: