PDA

View Full Version : OS2008 Features

ColdFusion
2007-10-19, 21:04
http://europe.nokia.com/A4579471

Video calling between two devices or to any compatible PC

hordeman
2007-10-19, 21:06
Yeah, and it looks like the Google Apps are now going to work smoothly!!!

EDIT...
Hmmm... I just noticed that OGG isn't listed as an audio format. I actually don't use OGG, but I'm surprised that it wasn't added in b/c it's free, right?

Moonshine
2007-10-19, 21:09
Man I hope that's for real. A Nokia employee mentioned that H.323 over SIP will be supported, which is do-able. But something more broad would certainly be better.

Moonshine
2007-10-19, 21:10
Yeah, and it looks like the Google Apps are now going to work smoothly!!!

Meaning Google Talk for the PC will have video support soon?

hordeman
2007-10-19, 21:13
Meaning Google Talk for the PC will have video support soon?

I meant Google Docs and Google Spreadsheets. Right now, they are really slow for me... and problems get caused when the keyboard pops up and tries to resize the screen.

slip
2007-10-19, 22:23
That page lists maps as a feature of OS2008. The OS, not the device (N810). Does that mean that it will also be on the N800? Or do you need the N810 to have all the map data that is stored on the 2GB internal memory?

Anyone within Nokia (Mara, Texrat, Ragnar) with an N800 and OS2008 care to elaborate?

Mara
2007-10-19, 23:00
That page lists maps as a feature of OS2008. The OS, not the device (N810). Does that mean that it will also be on the N800? Or do you need the N810 to have all the map data that is stored on the 2GB internal memory?

Anyone within Nokia (Mara, Texrat, Ragnar) with an N800 and OS2008 care to elaborate?

The "maps" application needs Chinook firmware to work. It comes preinstalled on N810 devices, but on N800 it will be a separate download. (As well as the maps data is separate download.) You'll need quite a bit of space to save all the maps data... like North America + Canada would require 2GB card to fit.

ColdFusion
2007-10-19, 23:04
Can someone post what maps will be available? Will there be Eastern Europe and Bulgaria?

Mara
2007-10-19, 23:20
Can someone post what maps will be available? Will there be Eastern Europe and Bulgaria?

Not sure... It should cover all the same maps that the Navicore Personal has:
https://shop.navicoretech.com/category_show.php?catid=11

slip
2007-10-19, 23:28
The "maps" application needs Chinook firmware to work. It comes preinstalled on N810 devices, but on N800 it will be a separate download. (As well as the maps data is separate download.) You'll need quite a bit of space to save all the maps data... like North America + Canada would require 2GB card to fit.

Will the download of the map data be free?

Mara
2007-10-19, 23:34
Will the download of the map data be free?

That is my understanding...

slip
2007-10-19, 23:56
Wow. This probably isn't exactly what Nokia wants to hear, but the N800 is looking better and better. Though I was an advocate of the sliding keyboard, and can see how the GPS would be useful, I don't think I could justify spending nearly $500 for the N810 when the N800 can be had for under $250 these days. Of course, as a poor student, I don't know if I'll even lay down the $250...been following the NITs since they came out, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

So, let me see if I have this straight:
OS2008 will enhance N800 by:
-bringing clockspeed to 400 from 333
-including Mozilla-based microb browser with Flash 9 and AJAX support
-new maps application plus free download of map data (though still have to pay for routing service- Wayfinder)
-possibly bring USB on-the-go, ie. USB host functionality

Not too shabby.

Kozzi
2007-10-20, 00:02
sorry for dumb question, but Iwonder if you can use the USB port to connect to ie. external harddisk or .. memorycard-reader ? on N810 of course.

Mara
2007-10-20, 01:04
Just one more thing... (if you didn't know yet?) that the OS2008 can see and access shared files/directories on Windows network... :)

Mara
2007-10-20, 01:11
One more... The PDF-reader in full screen mode has "invisible" next/previous page buttons on the sides of the sceen. (They are shown briefly once you put it to full screen mode.) This makes the PDF-reader A LOT more useful than it used to be... :D

Ray
2007-10-20, 01:45
Hello,

I don't know if this has already been asked,
but will the Mozilla-based web browser actually
run stable on OS2008 on the 810 ?

With stable I mean that it doesn't crash at all,
even with somewhat more 'complicated' pages like eBay or spiegel.

Firefox on my desktop PC _is_ stable, the last crash was last year on a weird page.
Can I expect a similar stability for the Mozilla-based browser on the 810 ?

Currently I have a 770 with OS2006, and all browsers I tried,
including the built-in Opera have severe stability problems
which actually render the machine to an expensive piece of unusable hardware.

IMHO the inadequate and unstable web browsers are _the_ weak point on the Nokia _Internet_ Tablets so far.

Background for my question:
The 810 looks very interesting,
and has very nice features, like the built-in GPS, and network drive access,
but after nearly two years with all these buggy web browsers on the 770 I somehow lost confidence...

Or should I simply go for an OQO, where I can install a stable browser?

TIA

Ray

slip
2007-10-20, 03:13
Mara- Sounds like you are really enjoying the new OS2008, even on the N800 hardware (or do you also have an N810?). Its a shame, really, that only now as it reaches the end of its life does the N800 reach its true potential, and what we all kinda wanted it to be able to do all along.

If you do have both, which do you find yourself using more these days? Is the slide-out keyboard a real improvement for you?

Naranek
2007-10-20, 09:35
Its a shame, really, that only now as it reaches the end of its life does the N800 reach its true potential, and what we all kinda wanted it to be able to do all along.
That sure doesn't sound like it's at the end of its life! Besides - it has still one more upgrade to go.

luca
2007-10-20, 10:11
I'm not interested in windows shares, does it support nfs out of the box?
And does the wifi driver finally support packet injection?

anidel
2007-10-20, 12:32
From the Navicore site, in the press section, there's the news with the supported maps and prices (to upgrade the free map software to the premium voice servicf)

http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/NewsEvents/news/it_IT/n810_announce/

From how I read it, probably the map software will run on the N800 but no support for it.
And I don't get it.

Mara
2007-10-20, 13:27
Mara- Sounds like you are really enjoying the new OS2008, even on the N800 hardware (or do you also have an N810?). Its a shame, really, that only now as it reaches the end of its life does the N800 reach its true potential, and what we all kinda wanted it to be able to do all along.

If you do have both, which do you find yourself using more these days? Is the slide-out keyboard a real improvement for you?

No, I do not have N810. Even all my N800's and 770 (which I gave to my sister in law...) I bought using my own hard earned $$$. I just happen to have access to the IT development files... :cool:

Mara
2007-10-20, 13:30
I'm not interested in windows shares, does it support nfs out of the box?
And does the wifi driver finally support packet injection?

That I do not know... Not being a linux geek... may I ask how could I (easily) test that?

sherifnix
2007-10-20, 14:37
SMB support is a huge huge plus in my book! I have a nice NAS that I'd love to access on my tablet. The N810 is more and more tempting to me everyday. Always wanted a hardware keyboard built in for Pidgin.

Ar-ras
2007-10-20, 15:43
SMB Support would be so great.
But SpeedStepping would be great too, because watching xvid would be quite smoother.

luca
2007-10-20, 18:15
That I do not know... Not being a linux geek... may I ask how could I (easily) test that? If you can open an xterm, check that the file /proc/filesystems (cat /proc/filesystems) has the line nfs (and/or nfs4).

luca
2007-10-20, 18:20
and if that fails check that the result of

find /mnt/initfs/lib/module

has nfs.ko

Mara
2007-10-20, 18:45
luca: It doesn't look like the nfs-support is built in... :(

luca
2007-10-20, 20:03
Well, that's no different than the current situation :(
I hope that fanoush updates his collection of modules for OS2008, or I'll have to compile the kernel myself.

DingerX
2007-10-20, 20:46
SMB, NFS and CIFS support are things that you can do with the n800, but which require some knowledge/work (and, just to make things fun, I'll point out that the "how-to" guides available include obvious syntax errors that will kill all non-geeks). It's a natural extension of the Maemo platform to include them.

Saying "it's an internet tablet" only works when you're explaining uses for it, or high-cost design decisions. So, it makes sense, and is laudable that they do it this way.

So good job, and way to go.

As for Wayfinder, look: this is a third-party compnay. Nokia has contracts with them. To make their software available to n800 owners is a different story, especially since they sell their product to n800 owners according to a different schedule (also negotiated via contract with Nokia). In short, while we might have difficulty understanding it, it's because it's complicated, and as such, the "best solution" may not be contractually permissible.

TA-t3
2007-10-21, 13:41
I too am interested in how well microb works in OS2008. I have expressed my gripes about paging already, but the other day I did some more testing on microb on my N800 (haven't used it in a while). I visited a whole bunch of pages with opera and microb, first one and then the other. What I found was that microb apparently uses a lot more memory, so much so that several times applications would shut down because of lack of memory. This has _never_ happened for me with Opera, ever. I'm used to keep several instances of Opera open at the same time, with the current version of Microb this doesn't seem possible, in practice. And it even seemed to eat more memory the longer it stayed up (in this it's exactly as the desktop Firefox and friends..).

TA-t3
2007-10-21, 13:42
One more... The PDF-reader in full screen mode has "invisible" next/previous page buttons on the sides of the sceen. (They are shown briefly once you put it to full screen mode.) This makes the PDF-reader A LOT more useful than it used to be... :D
That sounds like an improvement. Even better (_much_ better) would be if the d-pad would page up/down..