PDA

View Full Version : Java and/or Google-Mobile-Apps on Chinook?

johnkzin
2007-10-20, 23:18
I'm wondering about running google mobile apps (the cell phone versions of their web apps) on chinook. Especially since chinook has the Mozilla/Firefox based browser, running on gecko... which is java based. So, I'm wondering if chinook has a full java runtime environment or not.

Anyone have any light to shed on this?

1) Does chinook have a full java runtime?
2) Are the google mobile apps (gmail, calendar, docs) java based?
3) Will the google mobile apps run on chinook? either generically via java, or through some more direct integration and support from google?

I think this would completely address all of my thoughts/concerns about an "office" suite for the ITs.

peterjb31
2007-10-20, 23:38
I doubt chinook has a full java runtime as Nokia would have played this up as a big bonus of the new N810. Also I don't believe any mozilla based browser requires any form of java, though java plugins can be installed to provide java support on web apps. As far as I am aware there is no java binary available compiled for the IT series.

johnkzin
2007-10-21, 00:06
Also I don't believe any mozilla based browser requires any form of java, though java plugins can be installed to provide java support on web apps.
Firefox and Thunderbird are based on the gecko runtime, which uses java. Thus my musing about "firefox based browser might imply java".

As far as I am aware there is no java binary available compiled for the IT series.

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobileandembedded/PhoneMEAdvancedPlatformsNokia800

geneven
2007-10-21, 00:26
Rather than see a link, how about a rreport from someone who has done it?

johnkzin
2007-10-21, 00:54
When I get my N810, if it doesn't have any kind of java support in it, then I'll try it on my N800, and post here about the results.

aflegg
2007-10-21, 08:51
Firefox and Thunderbird are based on the gecko runtime, which uses java. Thus my musing about "firefox based browser might imply java".

Not true, I'm afraid - as was stated above, neither Firefox nor Thunderbird require Java at any point. Besides, we've got a beta of the same Gecko based browser on the N800 and 770 at the moment: still no proper Java.

The updated Gtk+ in Chinook should make porting Java easier, however; but how long we'll have to wait, I dunno.

atmasphere
2007-10-24, 01:09
I think we'll see it ... the hardware is more than ready to deal with it

Noneus
2007-10-24, 09:57
The updated gtk+ has nothing to do with java.

Why use the mobile apps? You can use the normal apps in the mozilla browser.

blachner
2007-10-24, 10:09
The updated gtk+ has nothing to do with java.

Not directly. But maybe porting Java, or better said porting the AWT classes of Classpath, is easier with an up to date GTK+.

frethop
2007-10-24, 11:34
As far as I am aware there is no java binary available compiled for the IT series.

There are indeed several JVMs compiled for the IT series. Check out the thread HERE (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8866) for some papers that students and I wrote on this very subject.

Java implementations are not perfect and are not the complete environment you might find on a desktop PC. But they are very functional and do indeed support things like JNI, Bluetooth, and even Swing.

So...while there is no official, fully supported JVM from Nokia, there are plenty of them available from 3rd parties.

-- Mike

johnkzin
2007-10-24, 14:24
Why use the mobile apps? You can use the normal apps in the mozilla browser.

Really? Even when you have no wireless connection?

atmasphere
2007-10-24, 15:04
The J2ME apps tend to require a connection as well though ... at least Gmail and Google Maps. Even the native S60 release for Google Maps needs a connection ... only Nokia Maps on the phone can store things in advance ... like Maemo Mapper or the NavKit on the tablet.

johnkzin
2007-10-24, 15:27
It was my impression, at least for docs, that it cached a local copy and you could re-sync it to your google account later. I don't know if mobile gmail does that or not, but it would make sense.

Though, after today, gmail may be less and less of an issue: google finally announced imap support (but only for some accounts right now).

atmasphere
2007-10-24, 15:31
have to try that ... did not know that

johnkzin
2007-10-24, 15:39
I could be wrong about it caching a local copy. But I'd love to know for sure (and I don't have a mobile phone to try it out on).

atmasphere
2007-10-24, 15:41
I am pretty sure it auto-saves as you go ... but not locally at all. If you crash or close the window (and have done one hard save) it should be able to restore your session.

zerojay
2007-10-24, 16:25
Indeed, Java isn't used in Firefox or Thunderbird. Gecko is the HTML rendering engine used in both (as well as Microb) and it is not written in Java.

Something that *is* written in Java (at least partially) is OpenOffice.

johnkzin
2007-10-24, 16:45
Indeed, Java isn't used in Firefox or Thunderbird. Gecko is the HTML rendering engine used in both (as well as Microb) and it is not written in Java.

Just re-read a bunch of things. I was equating Gecko with Chrome (the UI part of things). Chrome DOES make heavy use of Java (you'll find lots of jar files in the chrome subdir of your thunderbird install, for example). But that doesn't mean that you'd have to implement Gecko with Chrome.

aflegg
2007-10-24, 20:12
The JAR files don't contain Java, though :-)

They contain XUL, JavaScript, CSS, images, etc. But no actual real Java bytecode, Java source or anything actually Java related.

johnkzin
2007-10-24, 20:35
now that's just silly. Why did mozilla/netscape call them JAR files if they're not JAR files? :-)

zerojay
2007-10-24, 20:57
Well, JAR files are just renamed zip files anyways. Maybe they just wanted to be annoying. ;)

aleksandyr
2007-10-25, 02:10
There's a small litany of reasons as to why. Most of them suck. :D

Given what I've been able to do with the beta sdk, I think we're finally going to see useful J2SE on OS2008. With GMail getting IMAP support, the big advantages to the J2ME client are gone. Gears is possible, too!

aflegg
2007-10-25, 08:31
Java SE's always going to be more valuable on the screensize and processor we've got anyway - and now Sun are planning on phasing out Java ME anyway.

Bring on the Java SE! :-)

dunsun
2007-10-25, 21:40
Java SE's always going to be more valuable on the screensize and processor we've got anyway - and now Sun are planning on phasing out Java ME anyway.

Bring on the Java SE! :-)

+1
Java for mobiles sucks. I want a full Java SE as it is a depoloper's dream.
I love JAVA - yes, it's a little bit slow but developing application is like riding a porsche - very fast.