PDA

View Full Version : 770 file list

eelriver
2006-01-16, 22:56
I've put together an almost complete file list (http://www.clevercanaries.com/dirlist.gz) for the Nokia 770. I've got a few programs on there that didn't come on the stock device, and I left out the contents of changable directories such as /proc and /mnt.
I'm kind of baffled by the /mnt directory, it seems to be a loopback to the complete filesystem. Does anyone know what is really going on there?

Hedgecore
2006-01-17, 00:16
I've put together an almost complete file list (http://www.clevercanaries.com/dirlist.gz) for the Nokia 770. I've got a few programs on there that didn't come on the stock device, and I left out the contents of changable directories such as /proc and /mnt.
I'm kind of baffled by the /mnt directory, it seems to be a loopback to the complete filesystem. Does anyone know what is really going on there?

/mnt on Linux systems is traditionally the default locations of other file systems. For example, on a PC I might create a directory under /mnt called win and mount /dev/hdb1 (for example) which contains a FAT-32 or NTFS filesystem. (and my windows OS)

Oh, and...

mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win -t ntfs

(from memory. If I botched the syntax I'm sure 885744 people willjump down my throat) ;)

eelriver
2006-01-17, 02:39
/mnt on Linux systems is traditionally the default locations of other file systems. For example, on a PC I might create a directory under /mnt called win and mount /dev/hdb1 (for example) which contains a FAT-32 or NTFS filesystem. (and my windows OS)

I realize that. What is odd to me is that the whole root filesystem also seems to exist under /mnt. (BTW, Linux is the only OS in my house.)

Hedgecore
2006-01-17, 03:35
Sorry. ;) People here run the gambit from having the 770 be their first Linux experience to having years of *nix sysadmin experience. I didn't mean to sound like a snot if I did. :) I also noticed that and was puzzled by it. They seem to be identical. I don't want to try unmounting it though, even as root I don't know if it'd let you. The fstab doesn't show much either.

eelriver
2006-01-17, 04:20
That's ok, I was kind of vague.

Oh, and the correct syntax is "mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win"
Now you only have to dislodge 885743 people from your throat.
:)

JMills
2006-01-17, 06:48
That's ok, I was kind of vague.

Oh, and the correct syntax is "mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/win"
Now you only have to dislodge 885743 people from your throat.
:)

ObNit: `mount` (the real thing, not the BusyBox multi-call binary) will happily accept additional option arguments in any order... all that is absolutely required in order is `mount .... source .... destination ....`

;-d