PDA

View Full Version : Enigma now ported to maemo

pipeline
2007-10-22, 13:29
Update (01/27/2009 ) :
Master of Gizmo Till Harbaum has done a build of the latest svn source code and pushed it to maemo-extras. This build contains upstream performance increases, maemo bindings, and Tills graphics/menus/and packaging and proper xerces libs distribution. As a user of this game myself, thanks Till! I assume he also includes support for his Tilt accelerometer discussed here (http://www.harbaum.org/till/tiltstick/index.shtml).

Primary Download Method : Download from maemo extras repo

Alternate Distribution (ext2 appliance) : If you have my isomount package (http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/isoapps/isomount-wct-1.0.4.all.deb) installed, you can download this latest build in an autorunnable chroot appliance by extracting this 25meg tar.gz (http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/isoapps/ext2/enigma-svn1477-75meg.ext2.tar.gz) file to a directory such as '/media/mmc2/fsimgs/' and then creating a personal menu shortcut such as 'ext2run /media/mmc2/fsimgs/enigma-svn1477-75meg.ext2'

The above ext2 uses Till's build which depends on libosso and dbus, so if for some reason it doesnt run (due to missing /var/lib/dbus/machine-id file on main fs), you can use this alternate ext2 image (http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/isoapps/ext2/enigma-85meg.ext2.tar.gz)

--------

If you are interested in seeing more you can browse the site here or even download the desktop version to see what its like :
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/

User manaual : http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma.pdf

Its a lot of strategy, alot of arcade/finesse, and -alot- of levels... like 1000 levels. It has great level browser too (although you need to wait while it generates thumbnails).

Controls are :
Stylus : drag to move ball
DPad left/right : increase/decrease ball speed
- : Cycle to next inventory item
FullScreen : Use inventory item
+ : Skip to next level
Escape : return to menu

pipeline
2007-10-24, 00:05
Well i made a minor release to reduce some mouse jumpiness... although to completely guarantee no jumpiness make sure when lifting stylus that you set it down in a slightly different area of the screen. I also removed a small unneeded library file.

In case anyone is wondering, i wanted this game because it truly is 'Desktop/UMPC' class running fairly well on the 800. This is truly a commercial quality game that you can spend many hours on... perfect to have available for long trips, etc.

So while i no longer carry my UMPC when im mobile, this is one more app which i don't have to give up. This should also be good for OS2008 and/or 810... the extra 80mhz and/or more internal memory should allow this to run the more complicated levels even better.

RioT
2007-10-24, 06:40
I cant wait to try this. Games are always a great addition for the IT.

Master of Gizmo
2007-11-03, 20:13
Hmm, today i got my shiny new n800 and couldn't wait to install enigma. I installed the ReadyToRun package. It was added to the menu, but if i select the entry nothing happens. Not even the small "program is loading" thing is being shown.

pipeline
2007-11-03, 20:36
Hmm, do you have xterm installed? If so try running enigma from there... If there are errors let me know what they say.

zanglang
2007-11-04, 06:38
Wow. I've always thought that if Enigma got ported to the touch screen it would definitely be a perfect fit. You just proved that right. Good work! :)

Master of Gizmo
2007-11-04, 11:40
I was expecting this to be some lib dependency problem, so i installed an xterm as you suggested. It's missing libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0

Now i have to find a repository to get that from ... shouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks,
MoG

Master of Gizmo
2007-11-04, 13:49
Ok, got it from "repository.maemo.org bora free" by installing tuxpaint from there. For some reason i wasn't offered to install the lib seperately, but i already knew that tuxpaint relied on it as well and i found that tuxpaint was installable.

The game is running fine. Now it's time to think about a port of my tilt dongle (http://www.harbaum.org/till/palm/adxl202)

Thanks again!

BTW: Would you mind putting the source code online as well?

pipeline
2007-11-07, 02:13
I got sidetracked, glad you got it working (i though that library was default) and thanks zanglang. Some of the advanced levels dont work well (slow or weird on tablet)... but fortunately there are alot that do work and when you solve them it feels rewarding.

Sure i can post source, but im not sure how much i had to change, probably just default keymappings and mouse/touchscreen ignore threshold for ignoring changes between stylus lift and setdown. Most of the work was just figuring out how to compile xerces and place the lib and include files in directories which the toolchain was expecting them.

I would like to have had more time to spend on it but i haven't lately. I'll try to put together the source sometime (weeked maybe) but it will require you to manually move the xerces libs and headers to certain scratchbox directories i'll put in a readme.

Hah yes a tilt mechanism would be fun... expecially for marble games. Will the usb port support that kind of device?

pipeline
2007-11-15, 12:43
Well my enigma installers work on os2008.

As master of gizmo mentioned though, you will need libsdlttf2 or it just wont launch. This is same for 2007 as 2008 i just never noticed because i had it installed on 07.

I got that library by using redpillmode and installing it. not sure what repo it came from i only added memo repository chinook, maemo hackers chinook, and maemo extras (bora? quiver added)

pipeline
2007-11-18, 07:01
Well i finally got around to packaging the source but because of xerces it requires more than unzip and build... you'll need to relocate some lib and include files (read the pipeline_readme.txt file in archive)

You can download the source code (updated to 1.2 build code on 1/5/08) from :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/source/maemo-enigma-1.01-source.tar.gz

Extract the tree in your scratchbox environment, read the pipeline_readme.txt file to relocate the xerces files and then go into the src subdirectory and do a make. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Not sure if i'll get time to continue work on this or not but if you make improvements, send them my way and i'll roll into release.

pipeline
2007-11-23, 04:37
New packages generated (links in first post). Version is 1.2 now.

Performance increased by eliminating unneeded world-collision animation.
Mouse glitchiness completely gone.
Icon transparency fixed.

Some levels will still be slow (those with alot of animated actors), but performance is noticably improved on many levels. Along with mouseglitch fix this will raise the number of playable levels to nearly all of them (provided you care to invest brainpower in any particular one).

The performance boost of 2008 (70mhz) helps as well but it is very playable on both.

Master of Gizmo
2007-11-29, 20:35
Yes, usb in general can do this and simple prototype is already working on my notebook computer emulating a usb joystick. So the two parts missing are usb master mode for the n800. Some people seem to have success with this and i will soon give it a try. And the second missing thing is joystick support for enigma which should be pretty simple.

Btw: i have seen that you started a garage project for enigma. Very nice, thanks. Cant wait to see files arriving there :-)

MoG

Pushwall
2008-01-22, 02:54
Very cool game! I loved Oxyd on the PC and this is very similar and looks to be fun and time-consuming. Mucho thanks for porting this and also adding the option for having the data files other than in internal memory. :cool:

pipeline
2008-01-27, 23:09
Thanks pushwall-

I'm still learning linux so i just did a new build without the heavy debug info which was enabled by default.

So i've released a new 1.2.4 build which reduces disk space used by half.

So mmc versions will probably use around 2.5 megs instead of 6.5 megs (and report about 11Megs vs 25megs) and Ready2Run will use around 5 megs instead of 8.8 megs (and report about 16megs instead of 32)

Although i cant tell its much or any faster, it seems funner now that its 'leaner' and not as demanding of my n800 internal memory :)

Pushwall
2008-01-28, 17:57
Very nice! Anything to increase my internal memory I'm extremely happy about. I'm off to do the upgrade. Thanks for the update!

Jobester
2008-01-29, 20:47
Wow, the controls are excellent and this is probably the most fun puzzle game I've ever played. I can see myself playing forever trying to do all the maps and high scores. And since it doesn't require full screen i can multi task with it (however, no icon appears so I have to minimize everything else to see enigma). Thanks pipeline!!!

Master of Gizmo
2008-02-02, 21:22
The first TiltStick prototypes are working on my n810 and n800. The TiltStick is the accelerometer based device i have been talking about. See http://www.harbaum.org/till/tiltstick for a first impression.

Getting enigma to support this is the next step which should be fairly simple as i already have a running maemo demo application.

Master of Gizmo
2008-02-24, 10:03
Hi,

the tiltstick is working on the n810 and the enigma game is also making a lot of progress. We are now working on a port of the upcoming 1.10 release of enigma while this is prepared to be released in the near future. So the next official enigma release will be accompanied by the release of a new maemo port. Lots of improvements under the hood make enigma much smoother on maemo now. Thanks to some effort of the original enigma developer crew the refresh rate of some levels is ten times and more faster than it was in this first release by pipeline.

I have made a short youtube video with the tiltstick on the n810 running the latest enigma snapshot:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Fglg-MptslA

MoG

pipeline
2008-02-24, 14:05
Yep the next release looks to be very fun and noticably smoother on many levels.

In addition to adding touchscreen support, Master of Gizmo has been helping to shape up the 1.10 release to be a more proper linux application and release. This should allow one-click install and/or upload to maemo extras repo for mass consumption. He has also involved the enigma developers and this is being done in coordination with their help as well.

Although my current (build) number is 1.2.4, it is misnamed since it is based on Enigma 1.01 source. These version numbers will be aligned in the next release, so 1.10 is the one to look out for :) This will likely be around April timeframe.

As with all of their version releases, there will be a few (60+) new levels as well :)

This game truly has alot of possibly overlooked potential due to its complexity. There are rather complex item interactions and transformations which the User Guide more thoroughly covers :
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma.html (html english)
http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/support.html#documentation (pdf and/or other langs)

Even that help is slightly incomplete though, so if you are interested in object interactions/transformations, you might read this interesting help page for level designers :
http://enigma.mal2.ch/index.php?title=En:Items

Also until the official 1.10 release, there is an issue where rolling over an item occasionally does not pick up the item. If this happens, hit escape button below dpad to bring up menu, then resume level to close the menu, and the item(s) should be able to be picked up again.

rgordy
2008-03-19, 20:53
I'm really excited to play this on my N800. The problem is that I'm getting the same symptom described earlier in this thread. When I run it from the command line, it says "cannot find compat.lua" ... "Your installation may be incomplete or invalid".

Any ideas what's going on?

pipeline
2008-03-19, 21:20
it cant find the data... did you install mmc1 or mmc2 version?

Did you copy data files to mmc? data should go on that mmc in enigma directory directly off root of memory card

ArnimS
2008-03-19, 21:26
This one probably would even appeal to 'normal' people. I think it would be popular on maemo.org (when ready).

pipeline
2008-03-19, 21:38
hah yes well aside from red pill mode issue :/ its ready enough

Upcoming 1.10 build will be awesome thanks to Enigma developers optimizing for us 400mhz types and MasterOfGizmos improvements and tilt mods.

Around April or May (to coincide with upstream 1.10 release) this will be ready and suitable for one-click masses to enjoy in all its new-and-improved glory :) Possibly earlier if you know where to look (cough gronmeyer)

rgordy
2008-03-19, 22:58
I expanded the data zip file into a directory called "enigma" ... unfortunately, I never looked in the directory. Lo and behold, the zip file created a subdirectory (also called "enigma"). I moved all the files up one directory and ... it works! Can't wait to play :-)

qwerty12
2008-03-20, 06:45
hah yes well aside from red pill mode issue :/ its ready enough

Upcoming 1.10 build will be awesome thanks to Enigma developers optimizing for us 400mhz types and MasterOfGizmos improvements and tilt mods.

Around April or May (to coincide with upstream 1.10 release) this will be ready and suitable for one-click masses to enjoy in all its new-and-improved glory :) Possibly earlier if you know where to look (cough gronmeyer)

I've already seen it :P "...exp.deb".

But I think I will wait until you properly release it. I don't really play enigma much. At the moment.

Master of Gizmo
2009-01-27, 19:58
Hi,

i have uploaded a maemo version of the current svn version of enigma to maemo extras. Have fun with it :-)

MoG

pipeline
2009-01-27, 23:24
Thanks MoG :) I updated the first post, let me know if you want anything added.

This is still one of my favorite games (well its fun finding those occasional levels that draws you in)

I will update my ext2 appliance in the next few days with this latest binary and data. One advantage of that is that i can generate thumbnails in advance so its easier to explore vast amount of levels.

pipeline
2009-01-28, 12:53
I made an ext2 appliance of Tills latest build.

If you have my isomount package (http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/isoapps/isomount-wct-1.0.4.all.deb) installed, you can download this latest build in an autorunnable chroot appliance by extracting this 25meg tar.gz (http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/isoapps/ext2/enigma-svn1477-75meg.ext2.tar.gz) file to a directory such as '/media/mmc2/fsimgs/' and then creating a personal menu shortcut such as 'ext2run /media/mmc2/fsimgs/enigma-svn1477-75meg.ext2'

The above ext2 uses Till's build which depends on libosso and dbus, so if for some reason it doesnt run (due to missing /var/lib/dbus/machine-id file on main fs), you can use this alternate ext2 image (http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFiles/isoapps/ext2/enigma-85meg.ext2.tar.gz) which is my build which does not have dependency on dbus/libosso (not sure what advantages/disadvantages that has for this type of program)

Pushwall
2009-02-16, 00:42
Hey thanks MoG and pipeline. Great game port and nice being able to run it on my memory card with isomount. Great stuff! :)

Master of Gizmo
2009-06-16, 12:16
The latest update to svn1714 does not include tiltstick support anymore (there are imho only two existing ones), but instead it supports the accelerometers in the upcoming fremantle devices. This is already in the fremantle extras-devel repository and patiently waits there for the new devices to appear ...

qgil
2009-06-18, 19:01
Have you touched anything? Now it says 'Unable to load' and from the command line you get

Cannot find 'compat.lua'.
Your installation may be incomplete or invalid.

Master of Gizmo
2009-06-21, 08:51
Have you touched anything? Now it says 'Unable to load' and from the command line you get

Cannot find 'compat.lua'.
Your installation may be incomplete or invalid.

No, i didn't change anything. I didn't touch anything after my initial fremantle upload.

I just requested a bugs.maemo.org account to solve those things. I'd like to know:

- Did you choose "copy data to memory card"?
- What exact Os is the machine running (several parts rely on os detection for the memory card paths. if that doesn't work it ends up with your problem)
- Do you actually have the enigma data dir at one of these locations
/usr/share/enigma
/media/mmc2/enigma
/home/user/MyDocs/.enigma
- what does "env | grep OSSO_PRODUCT_RELEASE_NAME" return on your machine?

MoG

qgil
2009-06-21, 13:50
Argh, too late. I uninstalled, installed and everything works fine. I might have hit related to Maemo SSU... I will pay more attention next time and I will follow the steps you are requesting here.

wdehoog
2009-08-21, 14:19
It would be nice to be able to use a wiimote to control enigma. cwiid works on the n800. What must be done to have enigma listen to it?

wdehoog
2009-08-21, 20:17
I recompiled enigma without the TOUCHSCREEN #define and then it works. Well sort off. The control one has over the black ball is not very impressive. (Can be me of course.)

It would be nicer if it is an configurable option to have the touchscreen code active instead of a compile time directive. Or even better allow the mouse to control the black ball even when touch screen code is active.

rhys_himself
2009-12-14, 13:01
I've been playing Enigma on the N900 and it's great! Only one complaint though, the game lags while the screen frequently darkens and then re-lightens, as if it is adjusting to the ambient light, when there is no change in the light levels at all.

Has anyone else found this? Any ideas?

ArnimS
2010-02-14, 23:10
I've been playing Enigma on the N900 and it's great! Only one complaint though, the game lags while the screen frequently darkens and then re-lightens, as if it is adjusting to the ambient light, when there is no change in the light levels at all.

Has anyone else found this? Any ideas?

maybe you are darkening the light sensor on the left hand side of the screen. works fine here.

great accelerometer game. truly. thanks to pipeline and till

tho
2010-06-25, 19:11
I agree, it is a great game for the N900, but it needs to be optified.