PDA

View Full Version : about some things i wanted to get in the 770

rjungmann
2006-01-17, 09:20
after using a lot the tablet while surfing, i've thinked about the contextual menu we get when picking the stylus one second on the screen.

first, if think we must have a control panel to set this time lapse. (i will be happy if it is a little bit shorter)

second, when surfing, i enjoy opening different windows and closing it (i.e. when consulting a big list of item, i.e. in amazon.com, and when i'm interested in getting information in an item : i open a new window, and after that i close it to continue my surf, without having to wait the list request complete from the server)
then, what i want is the ability to close the window more faster (i don't want to have to "browse" the popup menu to "close the actual window".

third, i use other applications like the pdf reader. what will be very usable when reading full screen, is still the popup menu (faster apparition). this one must be redesigned to be more ergonomic.
i thinked about a popup menu that don't show text, but ICONS !
yes, with icons you can get rid of the "submenus" from this popup menu.

is it possible to get a floating menu with the icons ? preferably user definissable ?

fourth thing, i want the possibility to personalise the "start menu". i want my menu to be organised. i don't want that every applications be in the "other" menu...

five, please, is it possible to backup the installed application too ? because, when upgrading to the last software update, reinstalling some apps, was really a pain !

so.

here it is, for this time !

r.jungmann@lisaa.com

Mike Cane
2006-01-18, 13:46
@ desktop:

Wow, TnH menu with icons is a great idea. Similar to the Command Bar in PalmOS. Nice!

Godfrey
2006-01-30, 17:00
fourth thing, i want the possibility to personalise the "start menu". i want my menu to be organised. i don't want that every applications be in the "other" menu...
It would be great if this could be done through the GUI, but if it really bugs you, you can do it now with xterm (root access is needed, I suspect). The menus are kept in /etc/others-menu. I rearranged things on mine to put xterm and a couple of scripts into the root menu, moved the audio/video player and other things from the root menu into a subfolder named Applications, moved all the installed games into the Games folder, and so forth.

Here's an example screenshot (http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/blogger/NewMenus.png), and here's the contents of my /etc/others-menu directory, for comparison:
0500_osso-xterm.desktop 1300_separator
0550_btup.desktop 1400_Applications
0551_btdn.desktop 1500_tana_fi_utilities
1000_separator 2100_tana_fi_games
1100_filemanager.desktop 2200_tana_fi_extras
1200_Control Panel.desktop
Entries with an xxxx_ prefix will use the four-digit number for alphabetizing the entries, and the prefix will be discarded when the menu is displayed. (Application items display the name inside the .desktop file, but the order of the menu choices is determined by the filenames.) Objects without the prefix will be ordered alphanumerically.

When you create new folders, everything after the xxxx_ prefix will be used as the folder name (with the exception of the ones with tana_fi in their names; I suspect that's a special case for the built-in folder names).

You can add your own separators wherever you want; just copy one of the existing ones and rename it to xxxx_separator; the value of xxxx will determine where it appears in the list.

aflegg
2006-01-30, 23:32
FWIW, if you only edit the "Extras" menu it doesn't require root.