PDA

View Full Version : Win a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet

Reggie
2007-10-25, 17:03
Thoughtfix is giving away a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet! If you want a chance to win a Nokia N810, all you have to do is create a video on how you would use a Nokia Internet Tablet in your everyday life, and upload it in YouTube as a 'video response' to Thoughtfix's video, tagging it as 'Thoughtfix Nokia N810 Giveaway Contest Entry'. The deadline to submit your videos is on November 16. Finalists will be announced here at Internet Tablet Talk on November 17. View the official details.Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2007/10/25/win-a-nokia-n810-internet-tablet/)

Darius2006
2007-10-25, 22:03
Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/2007/10/25/win-a-nokia-n810-internet-tablet/)

Does the above come as an official announcement by Nokia ?

Darius

Texrat
2007-10-25, 22:05
No. Read the article, Darius.

thoughtfix
2007-10-25, 22:29
That's right. This is not related to or sponsored by Nokia. I wish I had sponsors ;)

Texrat
2007-10-26, 01:03
I'll sponsor you Dan! :)

thoughtfix
2007-10-26, 02:04
Yay! Send money! hehehe

Khertan
2007-10-26, 06:49
... Does poor video recorded with an nokia 6630 ll be admited ? (1.3 Mpixel camera).

Tirithen
2007-10-26, 08:02
I like my N800 because it runs linux and is open source but is there not more people that think that Nokia in a way is using us as free labour for development of applications and creative ways to use the tablet...

When I now see this thing, that Nokia wants us to do free commercials for them and say that they "might give you a cookie”, I get kind of angry. What seemed like an open alternative now more and more feels like Nokia uses us as free labour for software development and testing of their product. I'm getting more and more interested in Open Moko, because right now I kind of feel like a guinea pig/part of Nokias non-profit workforce, where they sell us a product that we have taken part of the development in. :-(

zeez
2007-10-26, 08:13
I like my N800 because it runs linux and is open source but is there not more people that think that Nokia in a way is using us as free labour for development of applications and creative ways to use the tablet...

When I now see this thing, that Nokia wants us to do free commercials for them and say that they "might give you a cookie”, I get kind of angry. What seemed like an open alternative now more and more feels like Nokia uses us as free labour for software development and testing of their product. I'm getting more and more interested in Open Moko, because right now I kind of feel like a guinea pig/part of Nokias non-profit workforce, where they sell us a product that we have taken part of the development in. :-(

This is nothing official! Nokia has nothing to do with it - *read* before you post.

bunanson
2007-10-26, 09:40

I am lost! Did Nokia ever 'draft' you for the job? I mean 'draft', i.e., no option to refuse, not recruit. "might give you a cookie" is an alright statement, but "feel like a guinea pig" is totally uncalled for.

bun

Sadavyk
2007-10-26, 12:32
I might give this a try I would love to beat some of you guys a contest:)

Texrat
2007-10-26, 13:28
I might give this a try I would love to beat some of you guys a contest:)

Ooo, you're lucky I'm disqualified! :p

thoughtfix
2007-10-26, 17:29
TexRat: Go ahead and make a video for fun if you'd like.

thoughtfix
2007-10-26, 17:35
This contest was dreamed up by me alone (and not Nokia) a long time ago. The original prize was going to be a NAVKIT, but not all those interested have an N800 so I decided to look around for accessories until I found the right prize to announce the contest. When I heard of the N810 coming down the pipes, I realized that it was the PERFECT prize because it would be something of value that no one yet had.

I have no sponsors yet and don't want to take money from Nokia directly as it would impact my editorial flexibility. I can still say when something REALLY sucks (like the camera and lack of Bluetooth A2DP and PAN!)

If I were to accept sponsorship, it would be from either retailers, mobile broadband carriers, or accessory manufacturers. Trust me - if I had sponsors, there would be a lot more prizes too. I have to go with the budget of what my limited advertising income provides.

Why am I holding this contest? Because I am curious. I've been in the internet tablet thing for two years now and have my habits down pretty well. I want to know how other real people are using (or would be using) them so I know which direction to take the blog. Without inspiration from you, I could easily have the blog wander off into it's own little world and eventually lose all interest. I don't want that to happen.

Does that clear things up?

thoughtfix
2007-10-26, 17:39
Plus, I think it could be a lot of fun :)

Hedgecore
2007-10-26, 17:46
U.S. only? Boooooooo.

*Takes a video of himself ordering something internationally*

:D

thoughtfix
2007-10-26, 17:56
U.S. only? Boooooooo.

*Takes a video of himself ordering something internationally*

:D

I am trying to partner with a retailer to ship internationally then make the prize a voucher from them. That's how I can get around with the customs/duties/legal issues of offering an international prize myself.

maxinflixion
2007-10-27, 14:06
Well.... I was just about to try to learn to use Cinelerra.

This could come off as a really well produced yet boring video from me OR such an exercise in frustration that I scrap it before entering!

Either way, it will get the old college try. I'd love a new n810.

Blind
2007-10-28, 04:57
Not trying to be sarcastic... Just to see if my reading comprehension is functioning...

For this contest I need to make a video in which I pretend to perform an interesting/unique real world action(s) that can be done with an unmodified version of a device that is not available to he public yet?

iball
2007-10-28, 05:02
I think folks who have actually PURCHASED and USED Nokia devices the longest should get a discounted N810. Not a FREE one but a discounted one at least.
I have two Nokia BT headsets, an N80, an N95, an N800, and about 3 older Symbian-based Nokia phones somewhere still in ym possession if I can find them. I've traded or sold the rest when I upgraded.
Come to think of it, I've been using Nokia phones exclusively outside of work since 1995.
To paraphrase the great Emmy-award-winning, noted author and philosopher-king, Steven Colbert:
"Hey Nokia, where's my discounted N810?"
(reaches out hand and makes a grabbing gesture)
Or do I have to write a book entitled "I am Nokia (and so can you)"?

thoughtfix
2007-10-28, 06:52
Not trying to be sarcastic... Just to see if my reading comprehension is functioning...

For this contest I need to make a video in which I pretend to perform an interesting/unique real world action(s) that can be done with an unmodified version of a device that is not available to he public yet?

How to use "an internet tablet" in real life. Or "mobile Web access" or anything else that this line of products offers. If you take the strict interpretation above, you don't have to enter ;)

uNtouched
2007-10-30, 15:00
Well, my entry is in. I figured someone needs to go first, others will come soon after. No one likes being first to go...This should be a fun contest, I don't think I've ever entered into a contest....we'll see how it goes.

thoughtfix
2007-10-31, 17:41
Being first gives you a good chance of scaring everyone off. Imagine the hundreds of people saying "Wow! I could never top that!" ;)

Texrat
2007-10-31, 18:11
Winner by default! :D

uNtouched
2007-10-31, 23:19
Woah, I never thought about it like that...my thoughts were...

"ok, no one is entering...I'll do it first so they see how easy it is, and tons of people will poop on me with their ideas, but at least things got kicked off..."

I'm sure there will be many people with great ideas, it'll be a cool learning experience at the very least...for me anyhow. We'll see things that'll make many of us go..."ohhh no ****!...why didn't I think of that?!"...take care guys.

blakekrone
2007-11-05, 18:53
I'll have my entry in hopefully this weekend, taking (failing? heh) my CCNA exam in an hour, so after I get that out of the way I can work on my video. I think this was a great idea, I thought there would be more entries? Oh well, better chances for uNtouched and I then!

edit...should mention I didn't join just for the contest, I've been a lurker for the past year or so, found out a lot of good info from this forum and thoughtfix's blog.

Jeffgrado
2007-11-10, 00:32
I put mine up last week. It was fun trying to figure out how to edit video. Good learning experience!