PDA

View Full Version : kismet - no alert sounds and no flite speech

technut
2007-10-29, 09:31
I have kismet installed and working, and flite also is installed and working (tested with a small text file).

My problem is that
1) I'm not getting any alert sounds from kismet. and
2) I'm not sure how to get kismet to use flite to speak.

I gather from the kismet docs (http://www.kismetwireless.net/documentation.shtml) that I need to modify the kismet_ui.conf file (which I found in /etc/kismet), but I'm not sure what mods to make to it.

For alert sounds the .conf currently says:
# Path to sound player
soundplay=/usr/bin/play

Is that correct for maemo (N800)?

And for using flite, the .conf has a section for using Festival/Flite, but again I'm not sure exactly how I should be modifying that section to make it work.

I'm new to the N800 (and to Linux) but I've already gotten pretty far in my first 2 days with it. I'll try to get back to hacking away at it tomorrow, but if anyone already has the answers you'd save me a lot of time.

And is there an easier file editor than "vi" available in a maemo repository somewhere?

Thanks!

gsagers
2007-10-29, 17:13
Good luck with Kismet, as it stops scanning and receiving packets after a fairly short time.

Haven't ever tried it with flite.

As for an easier editor, try nano. It's in the application catalog on maemo.org. I think it's in the maemo-extras repository.

cvmiller
2007-10-30, 00:05
Good luck with Kismet, as it stops scanning and receiving packets after a fairly short time.

What do you mean by a short time? I have run Kismet for probably 20 miniutes or so. After I installed 'screen' (which included the terminfo files for xterm) kismet seems pretty well behaved for me.

Craig...

technut
2007-10-30, 04:07
Thanks for the tip about nano. It wasn't showing in App Manager even though I had the correct repository, but I got it installed with apt-get.

I see what you mean about kismet.... both the client and server keep running, but apparently the server stops returning packet data after a little while (period varies).

Craig, watch the packet count on the righthand side.... you can see it comes to a complete standstill.

technut
2007-10-30, 04:39
Before I give up on kismet, let me document what I found re: my original topic. I had partial success.

Modifying to use Flite

Modifying to use Flite for speech was pretty easy. Edit the "kismet_ui.conf" file in "/etc/kismet".

Change the section:# Does the GUI talk to us with Festival?
speech=false
# Where is festival located for the GUI?
festival=/usr/bin/festival
# Are we using festival light? If so, point the above "festival" path to the
# "flite" binary.
flite=false
To look like:# Does the GUI talk to us with Festival?
speech=true
# Where is festival located for the GUI?
festival=/usr/bin/flite
# Are we using festival light? If so, point the above "festival" path to the
# "flite" binary.
flite=true
I found the default voice messages were too long for my purposes, so I changed this section:speech_encrypted=New network detected, s.s.i.d. %s, channel %c, network encrypted.
speech_unencrypted=New network detected, s.s.i.d. %s, channel %c, network open.
To look like:speech_encrypted=Encrypted.
speech_unencrypted=Open!

It works well so long as Kismet is working.

Modifying to use Alert Sounds

I didn't have as much luck with this. Even though I found several changes that would be needed, it still didn't work when I was done.

But I'll document what I found anyway, in case someone else wants to take it further.

Again in the "kismet_ui.conf" file in "/etc/kismet", modify this section:sound=true
# Path to sound player
soundplay=/usr/bin/playto look like:sound=true
# Path to sound player
soundplay=/usr/bin/play-sound

It seems there is no "play" binary in maemo, but "play-sound" exists and works.

Also, the kismet package for maemo didn't install the .wav files so I had to extract them from another package. There are 4 of them, and you need to create a directory "/usr/share/kismet/wav" for them. The 4 files are

# New network found
sound_new=//usr/share/kismet/wav/new_network.wav
# Network traffic sound
sound_traffic=//usr/share/kismet/wav/traffic.wav
# Network junk traffic found
sound_junktraffic=//usr/share/kismet/wav/junk_traffic.wav
# Alert sound
sound_alert=//usr/share/kismet/wav/alert.wav

I tested "play-sound" with these .wav files and it works fine. But kismet still didn't make any sounds.... too bad.

If anybody makes further progress on getting alert sounds to work, please update this thread. Thanks.

I'm done playing with it until kismet's data collection issues are resolved... hopefully something improves with OS2008.

barry99705
2007-10-30, 06:11
Until someone figures out how to kill the wireless manager we're stuck with it only working for a short time. Wireless manager kicks in and takes the radio out of rfmon mode. I'll take a look at the sounds in a bit. My nas box crapped all over itself today and I'm fighting it back up.