PDA

View Full Version : Belgian news paper site test

TVD
2006-01-19, 13:01
Can somebody test this site (http://www.standaard.be/Krant/Beeld/Index.aspx?demo=1) it's a demo of the paper I read everyday and I wonder if this site is usable on the Nokia 770 and what the loading time is of the PDF papers (just click on the front page of the paper and it will download the pdf version of it). Most pages are less then 100kB.

Thanx a lot for testing!

TVD
2006-01-20, 21:11
Somebody???

Hedgecore
2006-01-20, 21:24
When I get home. (2 hours) *bump*

wweg
2006-01-20, 21:25
When I click the front page it asks me to make a digital subscription. The small pages open up quickly.

Mike Cane
2006-01-20, 21:30
LVTT:

I couldn't d/l at all. It said:

==========

Downloading this document requires Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat version 6.0 or later to be installed on your computer.
The required software was not detected on this computer.

Under some circumstances, detection fails even if the required software is installed. To check whether the required software is installed on this computer:
Start Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
On the Help menu, choose About.
On the About page, check the version of the software. It must be must be 6.0 or later.
After you have checked for the required software:
If Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat version 6.0 or later is not installed on your computer, or if you are not sure, click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.

If you are certain that Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat version 6.0 or later is installed on your computer, click here to download your documents.

If you prefer to cancel the document download, click here to return to the Web site where you obtained the documents.

Mike Cane
2006-01-20, 21:36
LVTT:

OK, I got it, but PDF Reader can't see it? Filetype came down not as .pdf.

Hedgecore
2006-01-20, 21:40
Howabout eVince? What file type came through?

Mike Cane
2006-01-20, 21:46
LVTT:

.etd -- never heard of that. eVince? I'm not looking to add new headaches!

Hedgecore
2006-01-20, 21:48
It doesn't support that format anyway.

However:

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ETD

Apparently it's an Acrobat eBook Reader EBX Transfer Data File. FBReader?

Mike Cane
2006-01-20, 22:14
LVTT:

Good God! FBR exposes the true Linux dir. WTF is the path to Documents? Just spent 5 minutes spiralling into dir hell!

RogerS
2006-01-20, 22:23
Just to note -- currently FBReader (still in ver 0.71b) has a bug that prevents it from seeing the Documents directory. Anything you want to open in FBReader you need to put on the mmc card.

FBReader reads XML files and html and text files, all of which are linear streams of text; it doesn't understand page geometry, which PDF's are all about. I wouldn't think you'd have any success opening that file in FBR anyway.

---- Added later ----

"Q. Instead of the ebook I expected, I downloaded a file named 'ebx.etd'. Where is my ebook?

"This typically indicates that you did not install and activate Adobe Reader 7.0 before you attempted to download your ebook. ... Once you have downloaded and activated Adobe Reader 7.0, make sure you are connected to the Internet and right-click the ebx.etd file. Select 'Open With', and indicate Adobe Reader 7.0. This action will launch Adobe Reader 7.0 and start the download of your ebook."
"Download the Adobe ETD file, save it in your My eBooks folder, then open the file. The ETD file will then launch Adobe Reader 7.0, obtain your eBook license, and finally download your eBook."

Sounds to me like this ETD file has something to do with DRM, even if there is no charge for the newspaper page.

Mike Cane
2006-01-20, 22:30
LVTT:

Just tried.

Moved to RS-MMC.

FBR won't even list it in its file dialog.

(RS: See USB KB thread for a Q.)

Jerome
2006-01-21, 08:17
I know you ask about the 770, but I had the curiosity to just click the link under Safari (apple) and:
-I got a js popup once. when I clicked for the popup to go away, I get an error page
-when I click on a page, it says I need an abonnement number (toegangcode)

TVD
2006-01-21, 09:01
Ok, I'm very sorry, this site is realy crappy, when you are logged on you can see the demo pages in PDF, but if you are not logged on it does not work :mad:

LVTT:

OK, I got it, but PDF Reader can't see it? Filetype came down not as .pdf.

I think you found the link to download the complete PDF version of the paper, then you need some special Adobe security stuff. But the complete paper is around 40 Mb big so no need to read this on the 770 :)

To test one of the single pages of the paper I did put one on my server you can download it here (http://vandamme.users.balpol.tudelft.nl/upload/2101DS1-DS01-FRO.pdf). Thanx a lot!

If this is working I order the 770 immediatly :D

henry
2006-01-21, 09:58
The single page opens fine, but it's very very slow! I've downloaded it first. It took about 15 seconds to open from the file manager. Zooming to 150% also requires about 15 seconds :(

jurop88
2006-01-21, 10:05
DE ILLEGALE SPREKEN :-)
Rather slow to prepare the page (18'' to zoom it in/out), but when rendered at 150% it works like a charme. When you zoom in 200%, you shall encounter some memory problems, the page is perfectly readable but when scrolling the 770 slows a lot.
When my new MMC arrives, I'll try with Swap enabled; many people reports that it will do the trick (but you have to be at least a Linux/Unix user to do that or an experienced computer user)

- EDIT -

Disabling images in rendering helps a lot, zooming takes 7'' and no more memory problems (they appear only at 400%). Still have to wait a bit moving around the page, but the experience is rather good.

TVD
2006-01-21, 10:54
OK, thanx for testing! Did you both use the standard PDF reader or Evince?

If the "the experience is rather good" I think I have my excuse to order the 770 :D (and probably wait for a month till I have it :( )

Mike Cane
2006-01-22, 20:42
LVTT:

Just tried the sample single page.

~15 seconds to open. -15 to zoom to 150% for reading. Tolerable as a *single page*. Don't know what the full paper would be like. I had graphics on too.

TVD
2006-01-23, 09:07
Thanx a lot!