PDA

View Full Version : WRT54G with SNMP? Which firmware?

Supergeek
2006-01-19, 16:35
One of my primary reasons for using the Alchemy firmware that I was using previously was because it allowed for SNMP monitoring of the router. I had MRTG configured and running for months. Then my 770 came along and wouldn't work with that firmware.

Is anyone successfully using their 770 with a WRT54G firmware that allows SNMP monitoring?

Thanks..

fpp
2006-01-19, 16:51
Are you sure that the "stock" firmware doesn't ? This comes as a surprise -- I never worked with the Linksys models but I have an "old", cheap 802.11b router (a rebadged taiwanese Trendnet) which is nothing special but does this out of the box (heck, it even knows how to send its log info to a remore syslog !). There are many bugs in its firmware (MAC address filtering for example) but those two work...

Supergeek
2006-01-20, 02:16
Even according to the MRTG page for "supported devices," they mention that the WRT54G is only supported via Wifibox and WW-DRT firmwares.

I tried both today, with no luck -- but it appears that you have to redo your security settings (make a new shared key and/or SSID) because I backed down to the Linksys firmware after testing the others and wasn't able to reconnect until I changed my SSID and key.

So, tomorrow I'm going to test the other firmwares in conjunction with setting new SSID's and keys and see how it goes.