PDA

View Full Version : New site design preview

Reggie
2007-11-06, 00:16
The new site design is coming out Thursday evening. Watch out for it. :)

Comments welcome.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/images/ittn810.gif

jwhelan
2007-11-06, 00:30
Looks nice!

hircus
2007-11-06, 01:30
Ooh -- transparency! Looks great. Reminds me of a sunrise/sunset over an ocean.

barry99705
2007-11-06, 02:32
That would make a kick *** theme! How well does it run on the ITs?

Reggie
2007-11-06, 03:13
It works great on the N810. The blue circles background is actually OS 2008's default theme. The toolbar (?) on the main screen of OS 2008 are transparent thus the transparent look. All the icons on the new theme are lifted from OS 2008. :)

Btw, notice the screen of the N810 showing the site with the old theme. ;)

sherifnix
2007-11-06, 03:19
Nice. Does it load quickly?

=DC=
2007-11-06, 05:07
Awesome! Nice touch with the old site within an N810 trick. I look forward to the fresh new layout. :)

lavo
2007-11-06, 05:16
Looks great! I especially like the bit with the 770 still in it, as it shows the RSS feed where the Aussies are winning in the cricket :)

TA-t3
2007-11-06, 09:43
It's not that I'm complaining (as there'll be other themes surely), but I still don't understand how anyone can read the dark themes.. is it a cultural thing? I mean, maybe some of you grew up with saturated colours and white text on a black screen.. possibly the brain will hardwire itself to handle it (I'm only half joking here..). For me it's difficult to read it on the desktop, impossible on the N800. Thank goodness for the Classic look! :D

benny1967
2007-11-06, 10:33
It's not that I'm complaining (as there'll be other themes surely), but I still don't understand how anyone can read the dark themes.. is it a cultural thing?

You're not alone, but I'm afraid we're still a minority ;)

(A minority here, that ist - almost all other websites use dark writing on brighter background.)

Khertan
2007-11-06, 10:59
I like the new design ... great job !

sKaBoy
2007-11-06, 11:07
good design! just a quick suggestion.. please make internettablettalk faster to load on maemo devices!! just showing less blog posts on homepage will be a huge speed boost! thanks!

Kozzi
2007-11-06, 11:13
It's not that I'm complaining (as there'll be other themes surely), but I still don't understand how anyone can read the dark themes.. is it a cultural thing? I mean, maybe some of you grew up with saturated colours and white text on a black screen.. possibly the brain will hardwire itself to handle it (I'm only half joking here..). For me it's difficult to read it on the desktop, impossible on the N800. Thank goodness for the Classic look! :D

I think power consumption will be less on dark background than bright, so this might be the reason for itT's site design.

luca
2007-11-06, 12:05
I think power consumption will be less on dark background than bright, so this might be the reason for itT's site design.

********, what drives power consumption is the backlighting, so it doesn't matter if the page is mostly bright or mostly clear.
Anyway, I agree that's very difficult to read on a normal screen, much worse on the tablet. That's why I'm using the classic theme ;)

godisjustpretend
2007-11-06, 13:06

Usually I avoid sites that have the dark background. They usually appear to be sites with a young audience. I think the human eyes change once you reach 20 years old, making the black background both painful and embarrassing.

When books start printing with black backgrounds, I'll give up.

Anyway, I'm glad this site has the "classic" theme available on the forums.

GeneralAntilles
2007-11-06, 13:24
When books start printing with black backgrounds, I'll give up.

Additive versus subtractive mediums are the key here. Your computer display adds light to display things, so light text on a black background makes sense and is (for me, anyway) easier on the eyes. Printed medium is subtractive, it takes away light to display information, so a dark text on a light background makes sense for that. Perhaps you guys just need to update your prescriptions. :p

As per the power usage, yes, the background has no effect on backlight power usage, but some LCD types and all CRTs use less power in displaying dark pixels, so there is a positive correlation to the amount of energy saved and the use of dark backgrounds, though miniscule.

Milhouse
2007-11-06, 13:25
Reggie: it would be really great if you could tweak the "Mobile" themes too, I use them a lot on my N800. I know I can (just about) use the full fat theme on the N800, but over Bluetooth on a pay-per-MB GSM connection it costs me a fortune! :) An "optimised" Mobile theme for ITt would be really cool. :)

benny1967
2007-11-06, 13:53
Additive versus subtractive mediums are the key here. Your computer display adds light to display things, so light text on a black background makes sense and is (for me, anyway) easier on the eyes. Printed medium is subtractive, it takes away light to display information, so a dark text on a light background makes sense for that. Perhaps you guys just need to update your prescriptions. :p

So if i find the usual black on white easier to read, I'm doing something wrong? Wow. (Oh, yeas, I forgot I'm stupid.)

fpp
2007-11-06, 14:04
minority = minority + 1
stoopid = stoopid + 1
:)

rcadden
2007-11-06, 20:09
I have to agree, I much prefer the lighter themes.

El Amir
2007-11-08, 18:26
damn! this is sizzlin hot! great job!

rcadden
2007-11-08, 18:36
umm, it looks the same to me. Am I missing something?

Reggie
2007-11-08, 18:52
The new theme hopefully should be out sometime midnight.

gnuite
2007-11-08, 21:25
It works great on the N810.
How about on the 770 and N800?

gnuite
2007-11-08, 21:30
By the way, re: Dark vs. Light background. I find it funny that you guys draw parallels between dark background and younger generations. Maybe it's one of those throwback, retro things. I like dark backgrounds because that's how computers were in the 80s, when computers were just dark screens with green text on them.

In the 90s, as graphical user interfaces started to introduce lighter backgrounds, command-line consoles (like xterms) kept the light text on black backgrounds. The trend in the past few years has been for command-line consoles (especially in Linux) to default to a light background with dark text on them. Yuck! I cannot program in those things!

That said, when it comes to browsing the web, I prefer white backgrounds. :)

benny1967
2007-11-09, 07:25
770/OS2006: uses a lot of ram, repeated crashes, no navigation, need to scroll down 1 1/2 screens past the whole image of the N810 to see text content, top image seems to hide some text beneath, style chooser doesnt work, pretty much unusable for me. looks great, though.

Reggie
2007-11-09, 07:48
We will try to add a mobile version of the site. I tested the site in both the N800 and the N810 and it rendered pretty well.

About the style chooser, I see what you mean by not being able to click on it. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.

Khertan
2007-11-09, 08:01
ps : where is hidden the 'new post' function of the forum ?

Reggie
2007-11-09, 08:04
It should be under the 'Quick Links' menu at the top of the forum. Also from the main page, you can click on the 'more' link under the Active Forum Topics.

Khertan
2007-11-09, 08:39
"More" links on the web page work, but in the submenu "Quick Links" there is "Today Posts" but no "New posts" (on the old style i get "new posts" link when i m logged and "Today Posts" when no logged ... )

Maybe it s just the label witch doen t change ?

geneven
2007-11-09, 09:55
To me, the Active Forum topics now in blue are harder to read on the N800, and overall the site is more confusing. I haven't seen the site on a full-sized computer.

gigabites
2007-11-09, 09:56
As much as I really like the new theme, it's close to totally unusable for me.
This is what I get when I go to the site on my N800:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2343/1930769459_8891f5c91a.jpg?v=0

I get nothing but the banner. My N800 has the latest firmware freshly installed (the SD card fix). Java is turned on (turning it off just removes the banner). None of the useful menus show up.

Hopefully this is a short term oversight. :confused:

When I checked it on my computer (in firefox) the search menu item no longer has a input box but redirects you to the advanced search page? not good :(

basco
2007-11-09, 10:17
Only using this new board for a minute, I noticed the following:
1. Where is the "new posts" button?
2. The advertizing banner covers up 1/2 the menu
3. Either the text is harder to read or the text seems smaller.
4. The menu buttons dont work.

rheve
2007-11-09, 10:40
The global "look & feel" is nice, on a PC. Not tested yet on N800.

Another issue: it seems also the "Mark Forum Read" also disappeared. Or did I miss something?

virion
2007-11-09, 11:00
As much as I really like the new theme, it's close to totally unusable for me.
This is what I get when I go to the site on my N800:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2343/1930769459_8891f5c91a.jpg?v=0

I get nothing but the banner. My N800 has the latest firmware freshly installed (the SD card fix). Java is turned on (turning it off just removes the banner). None of the useful menus show up.

Hopefully this is a short term oversight. :confused:

When I checked it on my computer (in firefox) the search menu item no longer has a input box but redirects you to the advanced search page? not good :(
I have the same issue and I assumed it was because I left Fit Width to View on, but it's the same regardless. It is fine if I switch to MicroB, though it seems like zooming the site takes an abnormally long time.

edit: I do love the new look, can't wait for the minor glitches to be worked out!

Milhouse
2007-11-09, 12:35
ps : where is hidden the 'new post' function of the forum ?

It should be under the 'Quick Links' menu at the top of the forum. Also from the main page, you can click on the 'more' link under the Active Forum Topics.

Reggie - please add back the "New Posts" button as I use this button a lot and I don't want to have to navigate to a floating menu each time (which incidentally doesn't even appear under the menu button it's associated with - it's way off to the right so lots of mouse action to complete what was a simple task).

Relocating the commonly used "New Posts" option to a menu is a backward step in terms of usability, not to mention the option isn't currently present! :) Please bring back the button! :)

wazd
2007-11-09, 13:21
AAwwwwrrr! Gray text on orange background!!! What the hell?! )) Please, make some more eyes friendly combination of colours! Now it's totaly unreadable. Physicaly.

Joschi
2007-11-09, 13:36
Hi,
I prefer for some reasons the "classic style". But where is the old "Mark Forums read" button? Please give me a help!

The N810 style is absolutely not useful for me: Big, heavy, long-time-loading, overcrowded, very poor contrast. I have problems to read dark-grey text on black backgrounds like in the search page. On N800 I need horizontal scrolling with no-full-screen-view and on my PC - Opera on Linux - the layers (pull down menues?) are hanging somewhere on the screen.
Maybe I'm too old for black designs :cool:

Please make the classic style useable like before - with all needed buttons/links!
Thx

benny1967
2007-11-09, 13:50
wouldnt "search" be somewhat more useful if there was an area for text input? you know, a search phrase...

sarahn
2007-11-09, 16:42
The blocky fonts for the menu can be hard to read, as well as slightly light gray on slightly dark gray. Also want a new posts button.

PLeBlanc
2007-11-12, 18:32
I wanted to note 2 quick things.

On my n800, the site header graphic (the n810 image) covers the text, so I can't read the first few 'Active Forum Topics'. (I think this is being discussed in the New OS New Look thread.)

2nd, the title graphic (Internet Tablet Talk) links to http://25301.info/, a Charleston WV site, rather than to http://www.internettablettalk.com

wetcoast
2007-11-12, 18:37
While I appreciate the effort into the site CSS, even on my desktop, I've been using one of the alternate, stripped down, themes. INPUT fields on the default theme are unreadable (login, perhaps search, I can't recall).

TA-t3
2007-11-12, 18:42
But at least the 25301.info site shows a ballon animation copyright Reggie.. ;)

Reggie
2007-11-12, 18:51
Fixed. Sorry about that. that was my test site when I was doing the theme. LOL.

PLeBlanc
2007-11-12, 19:08
Is search broken in the new site? When I went to post the 25301 link, I tried searching on 'new os' and 'new look' because I thought I remembered the other thread on this stuff. But both searches gave me back a "Sorry - no matches", so I dug until I found this thread. Then as soon as I went back to active threads after posting here, the New OS New Look thread had re-surfaceed. Doh.