PDA

View Full Version : Pre-order thread?

Sentinel1705
2007-11-08, 05:00
I looked around a bit and didn't see a lot of posts mentioning where to place your pre-orders, but two places I frequent are now taking pre-orders.

Buy.com ($456)
Link (http://www.buy.com/prod/Nokia-N810-Internet-Tablet-Full-Pull-out-QWERTY-Keyboard/q/loc/101/206228943.html)

J and R Music ($480)
Link (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4205454)

airbillion
2007-11-08, 06:23
I pre-ordered from mobilecityonline.com for 449.99 + 24.95 next day shipping! On their site they expect to stare shippine on the 23rd of November.

Delphipgmr
2007-11-08, 19:14
11/23 makes sense, thats black friday.

Glenn7500
2007-11-08, 19:47
N810 INTERNET TABLET $420 (http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=enter&thispage=01000100U0110_BN63708P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!)

rr0123
2007-11-08, 19:56
Do you all have prior pre-order experience with either of these outfits? I would like to pre-order, but I am concerned that I could get it more quickly by getting it through Nokia, or perhaps a retail outlet if they have them.

For the N800, I picked one up at CompUSA the day it came out. Hopefully another brick & mortar outfit will have the N810 the day-of.

Glenn7500
2007-11-08, 22:18
N810 INTERNET TABLET $410 (http://www.provantage.com/nokia-02703r1~7NKIA1A2.htm)

Sentinel1705
2007-11-09, 23:25
11/23 makes sense, thats black friday.

As popular as this device is going to be, I bet on black friday there will be some discounts or bonus incentives with various sites. Like buy N810 and get a free flash drive or something.

I haven't gone through the policies yet of the various sites posted, but I know amazon (who doesn't carry it yet) has a pre-order policy that if you pre-order it at say $450 and it drops to $390 on release day, you pay $390. If it drops down to $300 during your pre-order but jumps to $400 on release day, you pay the $300. So I'd look for shops that have a similar policy.

LurkerN
2007-11-11, 00:00
Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y4AH3C/002-3499879-7287223): $441

They claim to have had it in their catalog since Oct. 31, but I've been looking every few days and this is the first time I've seen it. Oddly, a full site search for N810 does not show it as the first result; it is # 13 on the list. Perhaps that is why I did not see it before.
Besides my positive experiences with Amazon in the past, my most compelling reason to pre-order from them is that I am sure they will not lock the funds in my bank account (debit card). Most e-tailers claim the same for credit card, but they neglect to mention that it may not apply to debit cards.

From buy.com's help section:
"When will my credit card be charged?
Credit cards- Since we don't think you should pay for your order until it is actually on its way, Buy.com will not bill you until your products, including backordered or preordered items, are actually shipped.
Debit cards - We do authorize funds from your account as soon as you place an order, which may affect the available funds in debit accounts. With most banks, these authorizations will usually reflect as a "pending" transaction until your order ships and is officially billed."

LurkerN
2007-11-11, 19:21
Has anyone placed an order with Provantage or BLT Corp. using a debit card? Their prices are attractive, but the aforementioned issue with locking funds in debit card accounts makes me nervous. It can take days, even up to a week for those funds to be released. I am waiting to hear back from both outfits on their exact policies in that regard.

My usual strategy for ordering a soon-to-be-released gadget is to place orders with various e-tailers, leave only enough to cover the cost of one in my debit account and let whoever can ship first have my business. I then promptly cancel the other orders, of course ;)

LurkerN
2007-11-12, 19:53
I spoke with a rep from Provantage today. She said their system shows the n810 to be available for shipping on the 30th.
BLT Corp. now also shows an ETA of the 30th (previously it was the 15th)

Buy.com's price is now $449 /w free shipping. Their site only shows Backordered (no real-time availability).

Moonshine
2007-11-12, 20:00
I've purchased from Provantage before on several occasions using credit cards. No problems for me, and they do have have good pricing. :)

sciman111
2007-11-12, 23:26
Did anyone notice on the Amazon.com N810 product page under "Product Description" it says "Works with Cingular and T Mobile service only."

LurkerN
2007-11-12, 23:48
What!?! You mean I am locked into T-Mobile or Cingular, and I have to buy a monitor separately, and I may or may not have to buy Kingston brand memory to upgrade it? :rolleyes: :D

All joking at Amazon's expense aside, at least it is sold directly by them and not through one of their affiliates.

And have you seen their sales rank for the N810?:
#8 in Computers & PC Hardware > Handhelds & PDAs
#13 in Electronics > Accessories & Supplies > Telephone Accessories > Headsets
#18 in Computers & PC Hardware > Notebooks
:eek:

jandmdickerson
2007-11-15, 05:44
Looks like circuitcity will carry the N810, I saw it on the website, not available yet.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nokia-N810-Internet-Tablet-02703R1/sem/rpsm/oid/198056/catOid/0/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

kingka
2007-11-15, 20:22
which site ships to canada? amazon is us only :(

thoughtfix
2007-11-16, 01:25
Direct order from Nokia details. They already shipped out their first batch. (http://tabletblog.com/2007/11/n810-now-available-kinda.html)

... and a special discount, if it's still there when you call.

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 01:58
Ugh! I can't believe I missed the initial batch. Right on the evening I finally make an effort to stop obsessing over the N810 and go out with the wife. Clothes shopping, even!
But the $75 coupon more than makes up for that :D

Thoughtfix, you are awesome! :cool:

ldrn
2007-11-16, 02:14
Thank you Thoughtfix! I have mine ordered now.

I'm currently visiting my parents place for Thanksgiving and related things, and they won't ship it to anywhere but your billing address, so I'm not even bothered that it's backordered right now... the estimated time it'll arrive at the moment is the exact time I'll get back! :D

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 02:21
Who else besides me got the disconcerting identity verification questions? I do appreciate these security measures, but you'd think the 3-digit code would have been enough. And did anyone else's sales rep not initially know that the N810 is available for sale? I had to tell mine a couple of times that I read info online that stated that the N810 is now available for order, making me feel rather lame for saying such a thing. Fortunately, he put me on hold for a few seconds, then came back on and apologized for the misinformation.

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 03:25
So I checked my order status as soon as I got the confirmation email. It says "We require additional information before completing your order". After waiting on hold for over half an hour and one dept. transfer later, I am told that this additional verification is standard policy for all letstalk.com orders, but also that that particular dept. is closed for the day :mad:

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 03:29
BTW, the code for the $75 coupon is "Tampa". I hope this helps.
(Someone posted that info a few days ago, but it seems everyone confused it with the developers discount)

pragnanzer
2007-11-16, 04:17
I pre-ordered from Amazon.com. I received a notification for an expected shipping date between Nov 26 - Nov 30.

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 07:06
Maybe I should not have canceled my Amazon pre-order so soon. Worse, their price has gone up to $460 :(

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 13:29
So now letstalk.com just told me that they need to verify my bank info today, which should not require my assistance. I hope they don't run into any problems working with PayPal (debit card). I just have this sinking feeling right now....

And I was under the impression until now that letstalk.com is a Nokia outfit. Turns out Nokia just uses them to fulfull their orders.

mylife64
2007-11-16, 17:55
So thanks to ThoughtFix for the heads up. Even if it takes 2 weeks to ship, the coupon is well worth the wait.

I was also able to order mine. Got the $75 discount. Didn't even have to ask for it, they gave it to me for "the inconvience of having to wait". The sales rep said it would ship next week, and I was also given free 2-day shipping. An awesome deal.

I doubt it'll ship until the 27th, but we'll see. My order status is also currently in a "contact customer service" status. This is odd because they were pretty thorough with their "fraud checks" over the phone. A SSN based credit check for a simple purchase, really?

Lurker, did you finally get to speak with the department to verify needed details or did they eventually update you via email to let you know about the bank verification?

kingka
2007-11-16, 18:12
As a Canadian resident I'm unable to order though that line. can anyone suggest an alternative way for me to order and receive this discount.

gemniii42
2007-11-16, 18:43
In for 1.
w/ the $75 discount it won out over the N800, even though it's stuck with the fixed camera. Now I just need the 1 Terabyte microSD
/edit -
Thanks Thoughtfix -
I was wavering between the 800 at - which would probably do everything I needed and the 810, That extra $$ off sure swung the deal.

jazzbass12
2007-11-16, 18:46
Just ordered mine thru Nokia. I asked for the discount and got it. She said nov 27 is what is being told but she felt it would be sooner...

Now I need to sell my N800...Mint with 2 4gig cards and Case..How much ya think I should ask???

kingka
2007-11-16, 18:52
so yea.. any canadians here? how can we get one of these. with discount

hircus
2007-11-16, 19:38
I just called Mobile City Online and they're still sticking with their Nov 23rd estimate. Couldn't get the person to tell me what my position is in the queue, unlike the other itTer that has a preorder here (he's #23 and was told they're expecting an initial batch of 50).

Letstalk.com -- in my experience they have problems with anything but US cards, and Paypal debit cards do not reliably work (even with a positive balance. maddening.). If you're Canadian .. hm. Approach a well-known forum member and ask if he/she can act as intermediary?

Perhaps Reggie can make itT a non-profit organization tasked with sending the Internet Tablets ... to boldly go where no tablets have gone before :)

kingka
2007-11-16, 19:52
...oohh regggieeeeeeee <3

LurkerN
2007-11-16, 20:21
I doubt it'll ship until the 27th, but we'll see. My order status is also currently in a "contact customer service" status. This is odd because they were pretty thorough with their "fraud checks" over the phone. A SSN based credit check for a simple purchase, really?

Lurker, did you finally get to speak with the department to verify needed details or did they eventually update you via email to let you know about the bank verification?

When I called this morning to see what the "contact customer service" issue is, they told me that they would need to contact my bank to verify the card info (billing address?). The impression the rep. gave is that they would do so today. However, at this point I have little faith in them. So I just got off the phone, waiting on hold for them to speak with PayPal to verify my info. Of course, PayPal is experiencing their usual "unusually long call volume". The Letstalk rep . eventually told me she could not wait on hold any longer, and that we would have to try again later. Their verification dept. is open until 11pm Central. It's going to be a long day :(

Oh! And I nearly had a heart attack when she initially tried to tell me that they do not accept PayPal. I had to frantically convince her that I am using a standard MasterCard-branded card :eek:

My nerves are just about fried at this point....

mylife64
2007-11-16, 20:37
My nerves are just about fried at this point....

I know the feeling. I'll send happy thoughts your way that they can get it together and get what they need verified. You'd think Paypal is popular enough that there would be a system in place to verify it. Especially when its a standard form of payment that they accept. :D

I think you've got time tho. Logically, I'd think you've held your place in line, so once you get Paypal verified you'd be fine. Since they aren't shipping till next week, I'd say you're good. :)

My status was updated to Backordered. So, hopefully thats a good sign.

R-R
2007-11-16, 21:26
so yea.. any canadians here? how can we get one of these. with discount

What country did you choose when applying? I chose France but now hope it'll work with US as i'd rather not get an azerty keyboard :-)

Just find a friend of a friend that is trustworthy somewhere in your "supported" country of choice!

kingka
2007-11-16, 21:36
I cant even call that number that thought fix provided. and when I call the candian # they tell me I cant make orders over the phone. and the n810 isnt listed online. oh well... I'll try and figure it out. btw, are you guys ordering online or over the phone.... if online, which site?

hkwilliamson
2007-11-16, 22:25
Just got off the phone with Nokia. When I asked to order the 810 she quoted me the $479 price. I asked if the "tampa" discount was available and she immediately said "Yes, I can honor that discount". Shweet. They are currently quoting 11/27 for ship date.

Thanks to Thoughtfix from a fellow Phoenician who will now have N770, N800, and N810.

jazzbass12
2007-11-16, 22:42
I am also very very impressed with the customer service..Nokia is a joy to work with..OK im gushing,, just excited for new dork toy

LurkerN
2007-11-17, 03:00
Success! After about a 50 minute hold time a Letstalk rep. was finally able to get through to PayPal to verify my billing info. By the way, the first time I called we discovered they had the wrong contact # for PayPal. I had to give the Letstalk rep. the customer service # from the back of my card. It is (402) 935-2017, in case anyone else has to go through the same hell.

Well, back to waiting for the N810 to ship *twiddles thumbs*. The 26th is what I was just quoted. But that is so much better than not even knowing if my order would ever go through.

kingka
2007-11-17, 04:15
amazon... does not ship outside of us.
letstalk.. does not ship outsite of us.
nokia.com .. no shipping outside us.

any other good sites to buy this thing?

thoughtfix
2007-11-17, 06:46
dynamism will have it, kingka. Also, I'm sure mobileplanet will too.

gemniii42
2007-11-17, 12:38
Just a word of caution to all of us who have ordered or are planning on ordering from Letstalk.
poor ratings (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Let_s_Talk)
Most of the ones I read concerned complicated phone deals, so I have some hope my simple order will go through.
One of my buds ordered from them and had a good experience, but now I'm not planning on having my new 810 before December :(
When I go on travel for 2 weeks.

kingka
2007-11-17, 19:36
dynamism will have it, kingka. Also, I'm sure mobileplanet will too.

Do you know when they will have it? I'd like to get it asap. :( hopefully order it this month

kingka
2007-11-18, 00:17
ordered from mobileplanet. dynamism didnt have it. would have rather ordered from dynamism. might just switch as soon as it becomes available. hopefully they they the n810 in soon. total came to 469 canadian.

TenSpeed
2007-11-18, 01:20
Given the number of Canadians on ITT, it's pretty surprising that Nokia still doesn't see Canada as a significant market (as in, one worthy of the N810 launch list). Hopefully that will improve with the next generation ("N900"); then they can turn our enthusiasm about the ITs into actual SALES to new buyers. Until then, cross-border shopping will have to suffice :(

hkwilliamson
2007-11-19, 22:20
Well I ordered mine through Nokia on the 16th using the "Tampa" discount and was quoted 11/26 as expected ship date. I got email this AM saying my N810 has shipped and to expect it day after tomorrow! Nice Thanksgiving treat!

hallgreng
2007-11-19, 23:04
i also ordered on the 16th ($75 off, too), but they (letstalk) required some more information to verify me, likely because i failed their insane questions about my life.
why they need all this information is beyond me. apparently its credit check stuff for cell phones, but the 810 isnt a cell phone. my valid CC and billing address should have been enough.

regardless, i finally got ahold of someone on the phone today. the nice lady on the line said that her supervisor told her they couldnt ship to outside the US. i kindly informed her that ALASKA was indeed a state, but she insisted it couldnt be shipped here. i cancelled the order.
ten minutes later, i get a call from the lady stating they COULD ship to AK. woo.
so my order is confirmed, but its listed as backordered.
the estimated ship date is nov 27.

gemniii42
2007-11-20, 20:19
Well I ordered last week from letstalk.
Could not find the order/account thru their web site.
Called and went thru their voice system - no order
Got bumped to what seemed to be a live human - She gave me a FedEx # - should be here tomorrow!!
Fingers and toes crossed

theflew
2007-11-20, 20:26
Just received mine via Letstalk - $404.99, FedEx overnight shipping (free since it was back ordered) and I ordered it last Friday.

flipside94
2007-11-20, 20:57
Just a word of caution to all of us who have ordered or are planning on ordering from Letstalk.
poor ratings (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Let_s_Talk)

I was close to pulling the trigger on Letstalk yesterday, but realized that the ss# not to nokia, but letstalk may not be a good move!

bg4
2007-11-21, 15:19
Interesting is that the pre-order price from amazon was $440.99 - price I paid but today the price at amazon is $469.