PDA

View Full Version : To those who obtained a developer discount...

Hedgecore
2007-11-09, 18:14
... what kind of great stuff have you guys got in the works? I dove out of the tablet game during the entire lifecycle of the N800 as I wasn't ready to shell out another $400, but the N810 has me excited again. I wanna hear about the potential new toys you guys have got in mind! :)

vabgeo
2007-11-09, 18:43
I am working on a program in pyGtk that will connect to the wii remote using bluetooth and display the acceleration values as a graph. It can be later plotted in excel and with some manipulation, see the acceleration of your vehicle.
http://pyaxelwii.garage.maemo.org/

I havent got around to doing the spreadsheet stuff yet, so basically you can wave around your wiimote and see the graph :D

smackpotato
2007-11-09, 18:47
I would like to make a app that changes the touch screen behaviour so that
the right side of the screen acts as a trackball and the left of the screen acts as a button.

anidel
2007-11-09, 19:23
I would like to see the N810 react to the location you are.
Just an example of a simple application for it: you're near a WiFi hotspot -> connect to it and do whatever I've told you to do when connected.

I think that with GPS simply on but NOT logging everytime to drive you somewhere, will not die your battery. BUT you can poll it at regular times and see where are you.
According to the position you (the User) are in and the locations you (the User) have defined, just do (you N8xx) whatever I've told you to do (alarm me, send an-email, connect to a WiFi hotpost and so on..)

MikeL
2007-11-09, 19:32
I am not a developer as such, but I do wish to provide useful valid feedback, ideas and support to ever emerging applications on the Internet Tablet that I find useful.

I have spent time providing feedback on Canola, MicroB, Media Streamer, MPlayer, Maemo Mapper as examples.

I would personally like to see a GUI for Hamachi provided for the IT's, I have attempted to understand how to port for example hampy (http://code.google.com/p/hampy/) The idea here was/is to allow users of IT easy and safe access to home computer networks via Secure VPN without the need to open ports through Firewalls etc.

I recently installed UBuntu and the "Maemo SDK 4 Beta" on my Laptop called Chinook (http://maemogeek.blogspot.com/2007/10/installing-maemo-sdk-4-beta.html) in order to begin to understand and learn how to port applications onto the IT's for Myself (I may never get there, but in trying things out I am educating myself in areas I would not have considered prior to buying the Nokia 770)

Most of all I like to remain positive about the development of The Nokia IT's whenever I have the time as I am very sure sure it's our interest with an ever increasing user base that is driving Nokia to keep developing the platform at pace. :)

zerojay
2007-11-09, 19:41
I am not a developer as such, but I do wish to provide useful valid feedback, ideas and support to ever emerging applications on the Internet Tablet that I find useful.

I have spent time providing feedback on Canola, MicroB, Media Streamer, MPlayer, Maemo Mapper as examples.

I would personally like to see a GUI for Hamachi provided for the IT's, I have attempted to understand how to port for example hampy (http://code.google.com/p/hampy/) The idea here was/is to allow users of IT easy and safe access to home computer networks via Secure VPN without the need to open ports through Firewalls etc.

I recently installed UBuntu and the "Maemo SDK 4 Beta" on my Laptop called Chinook (http://maemogeek.blogspot.com/2007/10/installing-maemo-sdk-4-beta.html) in order to begin to understand and learn how to port applications onto the IT's for Myself (I may never get there, but in trying things out I am educating myself in areas I would not have considered prior to buying the Nokia 770)

Most of all I like to remain positive about the development of The Nokia IT's whenever I have the time as I am very sure sure it's our interest with an ever increasing user base that is driving Nokia to keep developing the platform at pace. :)

Hamachi is closed-source. Don't rely on closed-source programs and you'll find your problems much easier to fix.

penguinbait
2007-11-09, 19:46
Expect KDE 3.5.8 in the near future built for 2008OS

=DC=
2007-11-09, 19:50
Is it possible that the N810 has an accelerometer like the N95 and we don't know it yet? If so, it would be very cool to have a button-less navigation feature. Combine that with a touch screen, and the limits are no more. :)

MikeL
2007-11-09, 19:52
Hamachi is closed-source. Don't rely on closed-source programs and you'll find your problems much easier to fix.As I said I am learning all the time :) I am willing and ready to be educated on an open source alternative to Hamachi that runs on all platforms including Linux :)

fpp
2007-11-09, 20:01
OpenVPN and Tinc are already available for OS2006 and 2007.

gochito
2007-11-09, 20:12
I'm working on a iSync Plugins + deamon for the n800 to use with Apple's iSync and GPE'l Calendar, Contacts etc

MikeL
2007-11-09, 20:17
OpenVPN and Tinc are already available for OS2006 and 2007.Thank you for the pointers fpp I am already looking at/into them :)

Hedgecore
2007-11-09, 23:49
Cool! All of these projects sound really interesting! Even more motivation for me to eventually go out and pick up an N810.

Texrat
2007-11-10, 00:04
I see that zerojay posted but failed to toot his own horn as requested. :D

He's launched a massive effort to make tablet use simpler in many aspects, mostly focusing on media and communications. He definitely deserved his discount.

muki
2007-11-10, 00:25
I'm planning to work on a fully integrated Squeak (http://www.squeak.org/) VM and custom image. Then it is up to users imaginations.

Thank you Nokia! :D

yabbas
2007-11-10, 00:39
Plan is to actually make PROPER use of the camera ;)

Project 1: Super-resolution sampling, panorama shots; basic image processing fixes.

Project 2: White-Black board ScanR type application. Image perspective adjustments useful for scanning books. Possibility to extend this to support OCR.

Other project in mind:
Wiimote controller support. I think this'd be the easiest way to open up arcade games and emulators.

R-R
2007-11-10, 01:47
I'll try to see what can be done in terms of mesh networking, social networks and anonymous p2p with currently deployed technology that can be combined.

Test bed: n800/gps + n810. I'd like to look into geo-location and other sensor aware networks too, how about a mesh that use maemomapper to pin point your friends not too far away, have them automatically join a chat room and exchange voice chat too? (Like a Garmin Rhino on drugs?)

And well many other crazy ideas but it's more of a combination / integration effort than a reinventing the wheel one, i just hope i can get enougth time... ;-)

spacey
2007-11-10, 02:18
I'm hoping to use Ruby for a realtime Geolocation application - stay tuned =)

lardman
2007-11-10, 11:15
DSP stuff for the most part (if you're interested in any of this/helping take a look in the maemo-developers mailing list or email me - see the website below):

Need to debug my tremor decoder dsp task - it currently segfaults the dsp kernel. I'm writing some glue code so I can run both sides of the code on the ARM machine and use gdb to remove any obvious errors (debugging on the DSP is a real PITA!).

Need to debug an mp3 dsp task I was sent that uses threads, this might be a more useful way to do the tremor decoding too, rather than the single page at a time method I hacked together.

Need to look into why I can't share more than 1Mb of memory between the DSP and ARM (in the hope that I can, and then I'll be able to write a scaler and colourspace converter for Serge to use in mplayer for the 770).

I'm also interested in doing an SBC encoder (i.e. for a2dp) running on the DSP, but I imagine Nokia are also working on this, so not much point unless I run out of other things to hack at.

Also interested in using the GPS for location awareness, sounds cool but not quite sure how to turn it into something useful (i.e. need to think about data sources).

I should also finish my python calculator frontend (http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/nokia770/pycalc.html)

anidel
2007-11-10, 11:23
I'm working on a iSync Plugins + deamon for the n800 to use with Apple's iSync and GPE'l Calendar, Contacts etc

I would LOVE this!!!!!

anidel
2007-11-10, 11:31
Looks like many people got GPS-related ideas (that was not too surprising).

But many of us got almost similar ideas that overlap in some aspects.
Quim suggested us, in his blog (http://flors.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/34/: "We hope the fortunate developers interested in these popular areas ask around before reinventing wheels under development elsewhere. Some dialog and coordination at area levels starts to be really needed."), to dialog about this common idea, so let's do it.

Many of you guys thought about applications, while I was thinking about a framework to provide THOSE applications with location data.
I've been already contacted by a developer about merging mine and his idea together.

I think many of us could join their efforts to speed up the design phase at least and have a common, easy to use, robust base to work on.

I will try to release a concise draft of what is my idea of the "location framework" (probably based on GeoClue) and whoever had a GPS application idea will be welcome to give suggestion or, most important, make "feature request", i.e. what they'd expect from a location framework, how they could use it and so on. This will definitely help in properly design the framework.

Stay tuned...

Hedgecore
2007-11-10, 21:03
Yabbas: Panorama functionality would be awesome, especially if you could stich everything together on the tablet and save the wide image.

yabbas
2007-11-11, 00:11
Yabbas: Panorama functionality would be awesome, especially if you could stich everything together on the tablet and save the wide image.

That's the plan atm :) already worked on stitching algorithms in the past. Ideal situation would be "limitless" stitching.

Chinook SDK has been released now so I'll be sure to make a start next week.

JeffElkins
2007-11-12, 07:13
I'm hoping to use Ruby for a realtime Geolocation application - stay tuned =)

Ruby's available for N8XX? where?

bergie
2007-11-12, 18:41
I will try to release a concise draft of what is my idea of the "location framework" (probably based on GeoClue) and whoever had a GPS application idea will be welcome to give suggestion or, most important, make "feature request", i.e. what they'd expect from a location framework, how they could use it and so on.

Related to this, GeoClue (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/GeoClue) is moving forward and will definitely be coming to Chinook. There is an effort to simplify and clean the API (http://vilunki.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/api-stability-whazzat/), and suggestions are very welcome.

All kinds of location-based services are possible once a common (and non GPS dependent) framework exists. I'm personally interested in two things:

Driving mileage reporting
GeoTag HTTP headers (http://geotags.com/geo/geoheader.html) for positioned web services

For the driving app GPS is obviously important. But just remember that GPS does not work well indoors, and that other position sources are available...

TenSpeed
2007-11-12, 19:15
I've got a few IT projects on the go:

1) simplify the users' access to web radio/media sources (there are over 10 000 available). I'll be contacting the people behind UKMP, Canola, Kagu, etc., and hope to provide them with a database of material that should make this easy for the user.

2) I write a monthly column for a radio listening magazine (Listening In, by ODXA - http://www.odxa.on.ca/ ). My column's all about using the web to listen, and I will be focusing on web radio sources throughout 2008 - all my writing & research for this column will be done with the Nokia N810 (and I'll let my readers know it!).

3) I'm still plugging away at a port of Audacity, which is an audio recording/editing package. This began on the 770, but technical issues (and having a new child) slowed me for a while. Now that I know Lardman (above) does DSP, the prospects are improving :D, but don't expect anything too soon - 1&2 come first.

zerojay
2007-11-12, 19:25
Related to this, GeoClue (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/GeoClue) is moving forward and will definitely be coming to Chinook. There is an effort to simplify and clean the API (http://vilunki.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/api-stability-whazzat/), and suggestions are very welcome.

All kinds of location-based services are possible once a common (and non GPS dependent) framework exists. I'm personally interested in two things:

Driving mileage reporting
GeoTag HTTP headers (http://geotags.com/geo/geoheader.html) for positioned web services

For the driving app GPS is obviously important. But just remember that GPS does not work well indoors, and that other position sources are available...

I'm looking to see this solidify so I can add it to my Jabber server. :D

rcadden
2007-11-12, 19:49
I got the discount, and while not a developer, as a blogger (Tablet-Guru.com) I hope to be the guinea pig for other consumers, and help you guys bring your apps and developments to more and more people by providing in-depth feedback, video walkthroughs, and that part of it.

I missed the 770 but have an N800 that I use for blogging and other functions, and I hope to grow the userbase, therefore offering you technical whizzes more reasons to keep doing what you're doing.

bergie
2007-11-12, 20:15
I'm looking to see this solidify so I can add it to my Jabber server. :D

Related to that, seems like somebody is working on geopositioning support for maemo's pidgin (http://www.rhuber.de/gspom/) (XEP-0080 (http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html) I guess). Shame it doesn't do GeoClue yet...

zerojay
2007-11-12, 20:36
Related to that, seems like somebody is working on geopositioning support for maemo's pidgin (http://www.rhuber.de/gspom/) (XEP-0080 (http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html) I guess). Shame it doesn't do GeoClue yet...

There is also GeoJabber for Maemo which is supposed to work like that, though I've never been able to do anything with it.

Geoclue's the project I've been waiting the longest for. When everybody was installing it around the first release, it wouldn't run for me. Then when it ran for me, Plazes changed their API... *sigh*

Anyways, yep.. XEP-0080 is something I'm excited about supporting.

jaysin22
2007-11-28, 19:19

I'd love to help out. I'd definitely go for this function. Nokia has iSync plugins for the phones but not the n800 i find that strange.

newbury
2007-11-28, 21:29
Re Geoclue: It seems to me that what is needed is a backend process based on a database (mysql? sqlite?) which can query/store the geoclue/gpsd hardware output, and then user frontends can query that database. The backend can keep running gps output in tracking mode or present position in static mode as set by the user. The frontend program deals with retreiving waypoint data (and storing names of waypoints) and all calculations or with matching processes like gps position with desired positions etc. The frontend would fork the execution of programs as required (eg gps now says we are "here", so sound an alarm.) This involves a proximity comparison between waypoints..ie bearing and distance <= x. The reverse is like an anchor alarm.
The database needs to be able to keep lots of waypoints and allow easy searches by lat/lonf, name, date, time, type etc. I can see the N810 being a great sailing navigational platform as well as a great general navigation platform.. All handheld and car GPS are useless at real navigation since you cannot input arbitrary waypoints or define them by calculation or do arbitrary calculations of bearing and distance etc. The N810 allows us to do the computation, but you end up with lots of waypoints which need to be recorded...Thus the database requirement. The database also needs to store calculated information..bearing and distance vectors, or the order of passing waypoints etc.etc. The database is separate from *what* you need the data for...In the example of mileage, you would want to be able to easliy create a 'start waypoint' of type mileage, and a summary waypoint for the sum of the intermediate waypoints (at arbitrary spacing/times) together with a destination waypoint which is the end of the trail...and the user needs to be able to name that grouping of data easily:
"Nov 28, from 'office' to client's (jaysin22) office, 22 km, 9:12 to 9:56 am. 'Live' waypoints need a date/time field. Static waypoints (map datapoints?) don't need/have that.

Anyone know was is embedded in the N810, if anything? Or should we just go for mysql?

newbury
2007-11-28, 21:44
Regarding the geotag http header idea, people should google 'mozilla microformats' and see what is being done for firefox 3. Same idea is usable on N810 as the browser is based on gecko...Let's no re-invent the wheel.
Then instead of a fixed file with position data, the browser could use a selected waypoint from the waypoint database for its data, as very often the 'present position' is not the locus for the search. ("I'm at the airport...I want a mexican restaurant within 4 blocks of King and Adelaide Streets.".)

emory
2007-11-28, 22:00
I'd love to help out. I'd definitely go for this function. Nokia has iSync plugins for the phones but not the n800 i find that strange.

Why do you find it strange? There is no PIM on the Maemo devices. What do you want to sync it against?

rcadden
2007-11-28, 22:08
Why do you find it strange? There is no PIM on the Maemo devices. What do you want to sync it against?

Actually, something I've always thought was strange is that if you have Nokia's PC Suite installed (PC Sync for handsets) and you connect the N800, you get a popup that says "N800 Connected in non-compatible mode". This is the same message you get when you connect a phone in mass-storage mode. Hmm.....

emory
2007-11-29, 10:24
Actually, something I've always thought was strange is that if you have Nokia's PC Suite installed (PC Sync for handsets) and you connect the N800, you get a popup that says "N800 Connected in non-compatible mode". This is the same message you get when you connect a phone in mass-storage mode. Hmm.....

Yeah, that message will come up any time it doesn't detect a PC Suite-compliant connection on the other end. If you use the Nokia Media Transfer application on OS X you have to use PC Suite mode on an N-series handset (or e-series) for it to work -- it has a protocol it expects on the other end.

Doesn't surprise me that it says non-compatible mode, just means it doesn't speak PC Suite :)

spiderx
2007-11-29, 19:15
I'll try to see what can be done in terms of mesh networking, social networks and anonymous p2p with currently deployed technology that can be combined.

Test bed: n800/gps + n810. I'd like to look into geo-location and other sensor aware networks too, how about a mesh that use maemomapper to pin point your friends not too far away, have them automatically join a chat room and exchange voice chat too? (Like a Garmin Rhino on drugs?)

And well many other crazy ideas but it's more of a combination / integration effort than a reinventing the wheel one, i just hope i can get enougth time... ;-)

Actually, that was similar to my proposal too. We need to get together on this! I was thinking of having a website which tracks your location too, and automatically logs (or not) who you meet, when you met them, etc etc.

R-R
2007-11-30, 20:18
Actually, that was similar to my proposal too. We need to get together on this! I was thinking of having a website which tracks your location too, and automatically logs (or not) who you meet, when you met them, etc etc.

Great! :-)

I started the OLSR project on garage to package it with the soon to be released PAA plugin/server for auto mesh IP config... Though, I'll be busy with that part for a while i guess. Anyone wants to try and run I2P over this? :-P

Anyway, keep me up to date, I'd be curious to see geolocation over mesh integrated in MaemoMapper with a video/voice chat when you click on a random stranger or friend... (just throwing random ideas here, wonder if this can be standardised to other platform too... ;-)

I'm really into device 2 device ideas (research?) without any middle man/server though...

cheers! :)