PDA

View Full Version : Why I love firmware upgrades.

ezuall
2007-11-10, 13:50
What I love about the upcoming OS2008 firmaware upgrade, is that I get a chance to start over. That gives me the courage to install applications I wouldn't normally try because I know I'm going to be flashing my device soon.

Well, I'm off to garage to see if I can find some pre-alpha stuff to try out.

e

free
2007-11-10, 14:07
If you are a bit confortable with xterm, use
dpkg --get-selections and export the list of installed applications
then do set-selections on the new firmware, copy back your old sources.list and everything is reinstalled.
That's what I need for the last upgrade. It's the usual debian way, should be easy to find from google or probably on this forum.

Actually, I think this mechanism should be part of the GUI because asking people to go in xterm is never a solution for everybody.

ezuall
2007-11-10, 14:20
Thanks for the tip!

luca
2007-11-10, 14:34
But you'll need different repositories for chinook, won't you?

POost
2007-11-10, 15:13
What I hate about firmware updates, is that the Nokia flash-update-program refuses to recognize my n800 (just like Nokia's PC Suite doesn't recognize my Nokia phone). Nokia seems to disagree with some of the stuff I have installed on my PC.
I have to keep an old PC around, with hardly anything installed besides Windows, just to update my phone and my internet-tablet.

Milhouse
2007-11-10, 16:16
What I hate about firmware updates, is that the Nokia flash-update-program refuses to recognize my n800 (just like Nokia's PC Suite doesn't recognize my Nokia phone). Nokia seems to disagree with some of the stuff I have installed on my PC.
I have to keep an old PC around, with hardly anything installed besides Windows, just to update my phone and my internet-tablet.

Or you could boot from a Linux LiveCD distribution - DSL is only 50MB - and boot into Linux on your main PC, or install VMWare and run Linux on your Windows PC...

GeneralAntilles
2007-11-10, 16:48
Or you could boot from a Linux LiveCD distribution - DSL is only 50MB - and boot into Linux on your main PC, or install VMWare and run Linux on your Windows PC...

Yeah, the Windows flasher is probably the worst of the three. A LiveCD of Linux will get you must better results.

free
2007-11-10, 18:15
But you'll need different repositories for chinook, won't you?

Yes.
I guess I'm too new with the device I only know bora :)
I forgot this, probably then that going from bora to chinook would be like going from debian sarge to etch and then dpkg --get-selection wouldn't be straighforward..

That brings a question to me...
Is there a technical limitation that we are only allowed to do a complete flashing and not some kind of 2 pass upgrade?

luca
2007-11-10, 20:17
It's planned for the next release, a full reflash should no longer be necessary.

hordeman
2007-11-12, 21:23
What I love about the upcoming OS2008 firmaware upgrade, is that I get a chance to start over. That gives me the courage to install applications I wouldn't normally try because I know I'm going to be flashing my device soon.

Well, I'm off to garage to see if I can find some pre-alpha stuff to try out.

e

Your avatar is very scary. Thanks!

ezuall
2007-11-12, 21:57
I wasn't really going for scary, but thanks :D