PDA

View Full Version : How to log into a hidden network?

MarSOnEarth
2007-11-12, 18:23
I defined the username/password pair, and then I go to connect to network dialog which, after scanning, offers as the only choices the networks that were discovered, i.e. there's no choice to enter the network name. Am I going about it the wrong way? How should I do it? Thanks.

rlauzon
2007-11-12, 18:31
I defined the username/password pair, and then I go to connect to network dialog which, after scanning, offers as the only choices the networks that were discovered, i.e. there's no choice to enter the network name. Am I going about it the wrong way? How should I do it? Thanks.

Control Panel. Connectivity.
Use the Connections button. Then click on New.

You will get a Wizard that will let you set up your hidden network.

sachin007
2007-11-12, 18:39
Just make a profile with the ssid of the hidden network and it will automatically connect when it detects it. This is how i connected to my hidden university network the first time

MarSOnEarth
2007-11-12, 19:16
Thanks guys!

barry99705
2007-11-12, 19:17
Hopefully when the N standard is finally ratified they will drop the "hidden" ssid thing. Doesn't really do anything.

tech42er
2007-12-02, 05:33
My school uses a hidden network for extra security (not a bad idea, it's actually recommended for a private network). Of course, this can sometimes cause problems for Linux devices. It's great to know the n800 works with hidden networks, since the main reason I'm getting it is so I don't have to lug my laptop into the city (my school's in Manhattan).

paulh
2007-12-02, 05:55
My school uses a hidden network for extra security (not a bad idea, it's actually recommended for a private network).

The problem with it is that scanning software reveals the ssid of a hidden network effortlessly.

Here is some (hopefully accurate) information on the subject:

The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

Linking to "Debunking the Myth of SSID Hiding”:

http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/html/communities/WLAN/wp_ssid_hiding.pdf

tech42er
2007-12-02, 06:04
Interesting. I'll consider sending it along to the sysadmin.

Milhouse
2007-12-02, 06:04
My school uses a hidden network for extra security (not a bad idea, it's actually recommended for a private network). Of course, this can sometimes cause problems for Linux devices. It's great to know the n800 works with hidden networks, since the main reason I'm getting it is so I don't have to lug my laptop into the city (my school's in Manhattan).

Hiding the network offers no real additional security whatsoever and is more of an inconvenience for legitimate users than an effective security measure. Anyone that recommends hiding a network as a way to improve security doesn't know much about how WiFi networks operate, to be honest.

EDIT: PaulH beat me to it :)

Hedgecore
2007-12-03, 00:57
Security through obscurity. Only serves to cheese off legitimate users.

TA-t3
2007-12-03, 14:19
My school uses a hidden network for extra security (not a bad idea, it's actually recommended for a private network). Of course, this can sometimes cause problems for Linux devices. [...]
1) As others stated, there's no security in hiding the ssid.
2) Linux devices don't have any specific problems with hidden ssids, in fact the problem has been with Windows XP which (in some incarnations) couldn't handle it.